Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no 40 amp charging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually the Model S chargers are 48A or 72A now. The early Model S had 40A charger.

You make it sound like Tesla has gone forward rather than backwards when it comes to the onboard chargers. The statement should more accurately read:

"Actually the Model S chargers are 48A or 72A now. The early Model S had 40A or 80A chargers (single or dual).

The loss of 8 amps is a big deal to me when I need it. Not being able to charge any new Tesla at 80 amps is a step in the wrong direction, at least in my view. I'll sure miss my 80 amp dual chargers when I upgrade.

I’ve read the EVSE included with the model 3 is 32a max. To get to the 40 for the LR need the HPWC (or buy the EVSE for the Model s/x)

Back to the original question... I think the reasons why the included portable charge cable is 32A only is:
#1: Cost savings on the included one... Buy something more capable (and expensive) if you really need it.
#2: Safety reasons. Some heavily used NEMA14-50 (like at campgrounds) are somewhat worn out, and don't make great contact. Safer to charge at lower amps to prevent overheating. I think maybe Canadian electric code is suggesting 32A for this purpose as well.

I'd put my money on number 2. After a few garage fires, and one in Ontario in particular, they limited us up here to 32 amps on a 14-50 (we have a different 14-50 part number). We can still use the US part, and old timers like me were never swapped out (unless in Ontario), but new people have to get the US version to get 40 amps up here. Now with limiting the UMC to 32 amps they will also save on them burning out, since they look too flimsy to me for everyday use at 40 amps. The HPWC is much larger and more solid, and not very expensive if you need more amps. I wouldn't like the idea of a ton of Model 3's charging at 40 amps on UMC's all over when it comes to safety and I bet Tesla did not either.

Paperwork included with someone's Model 3 says the LR can charge at 48a on a 60a breaker with wall connector. May be true, may be BS. Also says rear seats are heated and there are no free supercharger credits.

Why would it be false? You would have to set the dip switches in the HPWC to make it comply with code since it can go up to 80 amps.

The issue was charging at 40 amps with the Model 3 UMC which is apparently not possible since Tesla has limited it to 32 amps.

I assume the 3 will charge at 40 amps with a Model X/S UMC? Someone must have tried that?

That's interesting on the rear heated seats --- but why no supercharger credits? I though a certain amount was free per year?

There is actually an exception in the NEC (National Electrical Code) to allow using a 50 amp receptacle on a 40 amp circuit. I've seen postings here on TMC where folks using the Model S UMC have blown breakers due to this. They started charging at 40 amps and eventually tripped the breakers because they were actually on a 40 amp circuit. So with that in mind it might make sense that the new UMC only supports a 32 amp draw.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Zoomit
You can install a 100 amp breaker and you have dual chargers, if your house has 200 amp service. otherwise you install a 50 amp breaker. My 50 charges at 40. I go to a 100 and it charges at 70. The car is programmed to know what you are plugged into. Most houses dont have 200 amp servide nor dual chargers.

You can install a 100 amp breaker and you have dual chargers, if your house has 200 amp service. otherwise you install a 50 amp breaker. My 50 charges at 40. I go to a 100 and it charges at 70. The car is programmed to know what you are plugged into. Most houses dont have 200 amp servide nor dual chargers.
A 200A service isn't technically required for a 100A circuit. And it also may not be large enough to add a 100A circuit, either. It just depends on what else you have at your house. As for the commonness of a 200A service - it probably depends on your area. Most homes in my neighborhood are 125A, but 200A is also very common for slightly larger homes. 400A isn't common, but isn't unusual, either.

The onboard MS charger has a max capacity of 40 amps. This can be satisfied with a 50 amp receptical (80% of 50). As far as I can tell, the M3 has a max of 32 amps. I’m getting a M3 and was assuming I could install a 40 amp receptical of some kind to meet the 32 amp max (80% of 40). I have not been able to find a 40 amp NEMA receptical, however. There are plenty of 30 and 50 amp models. Is there a reason for this or am I missing something? The reason I care: I’m may be short on panel capacity and 10 amps might make the difference....

Tesla is becoming like Apple.... give you less, charge you more, and make you feel like you're lucky to get such a great deal.

PS - ReceptACLE.

Once we have the Model 3 (probably next week), I'll see what it can charge at. Already have 2x100 amp HPWCs in the garage (not linked) on a 200 AMP sub-panel (400 AMP service to the house).

Yes, it's completely overkill. But I figure future proof :)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
When we took delivery of our MX this week, they gave us the 32A UMC in the square bag. It was having a lot of problems, pretty much we get orange and red rings quite often. And red flashing light could be only reset by unplugging the UMC from the outlet. We called and tech came out with the 40A UMC in round bag and everything worked perfect. Not sure if we just got a bad one, or they were not made as well.