Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First keep in mind this is a rental car I'd never driven. I don't even like Fords.

I told the Ford to go to One Edwards. It instantly searched my phone and found out I was referring to Edward's Lifesciences in Irvine, CA. The music turned down when the audio instructions were given. Siri also worked. Virtually all the annoying quirks were gone.

It did the same thing with phone numbers. Way better than my X does. When I tell it to call my wife, it did not switch User Profiles like the Tesla. But this is not news. It's years old now and everyone has it. I'm not talking luxury cars or features. I'm referring to what is considered to be base functions in a car today.
Ford's mapping is way out of date. For instance, it doesn't contain my street even though the street is more than two years old, probably closer to three; I leased my car in February of last year, and there's been one update since then. (I just found out that there is an update coming out in five day.) Apple Maps is more up to date, but there are problems with CarPlay and the Ford. Sometimes, just plugging the phone in freezes the car's display, and sometimes the car just doesn't recognize the iPhone at all.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Because the Mustang doesn't exist.

When it does exist I'm confident they won't be delivered in the same condition as a Tesla. Only Tesla has a phrase "Tesla Spec". I would rather have anything other than "Tesla spec" LOL They should call it "stoned assembly worker spec" or "blind QC spec". How about "take it or leave it spec". Better yet "TMC approved, endorsed and justified spec". I think delivery would be well served to mace customers at pickup so they can't see and fell better treated:)

I wonder whether it will have those when it finally is available for sale.

That’s the flaw in this discussion. We’re comparing the Model Y, which is in production now, to the Mach E, which is unavailable in production form.

Anyone comparing the two in terms of delivery quality or anything outside of published specs is doing so based on pure speculation about the Mach E, which makes it rather pointless.

That’s the flaw in this discussion. We’re comparing the Model Y, which is in production now, to the Mach E, which is unavailable in production form.

Anyone comparing the two in terms of delivery quality or anything outside of published specs is doing so based on pure speculation about the Mach E, which makes it rather pointless.

Let's compare it to any other EV on the market.

• Funny
I promise you this is not true.

I've rented F150s recently myself and my mom has a Ford product. Ford is one of my favorite mainstream automakers and I've recommended several to friends and family. Still, the standard infotainment is nothing special and there's nothing futuristic about it...at least not compared to a Model 3; not sure what you mean. My current Range Rover infotainment has been an absolute disaster since day 1. Both of these systems support Carplay, which is fantastic, but their native systems aren't great. Even the standard Porsche system is far more dated than the Tesla system. Aside from a lack of Carplay and Android Auto in Teslas, I can't understand what you're referring to.

My JLR has an excellent infotainment system, I can even track my car journeys from any desktop, notebook, or tablet and see everywhere it has been since I drove it off the lot. It also does CP & AA.

Ford's mapping is way out of date. For instance, it doesn't contain my street even though the street is more than two years old, probably closer to three; I leased my car in February of last year, and there's been one update since then. (I just found out that there is an update coming out in five day.) Apple Maps is more up to date, but there are problems with CarPlay and the Ford. Sometimes, just plugging the phone in freezes the car's display, and sometimes the car just doesn't recognize the iPhone at all.

I can use Wase, Google, Apple, or the Ford maps in a rental Ford. Without touching my phone. And in cars with HUD, I don't even have to look down once.

The Ford I rented was bluetooth pairing, no cables. This had cloth seats, no HUD, V6, 2wd, so-so stereo. I logged 2,100 miles on it in ~28 days.

But when you compare the top of the line Tesla product's cellphone integration to the top of the line (insert brand here), it comes up 4 years short.

Tesla is killing it in the EV arena and performance metrics. But when it comes to getting work done using a vehicle, it isn't as good as the industry average today.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
My JLR has an excellent infotainment system, I can even track my car journeys from any desktop, notebook, or tablet and see everywhere it has been since I drove it off the lot. It also does CP & AA.

I mean yeah it does those things, when it works. When I first got my car (2018 model) I couldn't even connect my phone at all. Bluetooth would cut out constantly to the point of being unusable and the USB connection wouldn't work at all. Carplay was not yet available in JLR systems. The 3 screens would take forever to boot up when I started the car (meaning id have to wait to access anything, including backup camera), and it would occasionally shut down entirely while driving. I'd have to stop, turn the car off, wait several minutes then restart it. The Land Rover iphone app that locks/unlocks/tracks journeys is laggy and worthless. I know all these issues were extremely widespread for a couple years because everyone I know with a Range Rover dealt with the same.

So sure, after 20 software updates it finally works fairly well and I now have Apple Carplay, which is what I exclusively use. Sounds like you're a big fan too! But there's no way Tesla is 4 years beyond JLR because I know first hand how bad their infotainment has been until now.

I AM glad your JLR system has been good for you and you haven't had to deal with all the trouble I have though. It really killed the experience for me.

• Funny
I mean yeah it does those things, when it works.
Remembering the meme about Jaguar electrical problems: "Lucas Electric, the Prince of Darkness"

Or, to be on topic, Found On Road Dead was another truism. But if I ever had to buy an American car (other than Tesla), Ford would be my first choice based on thousands of miles in rentals.

That said, they don't have experience with pure EVs and the sophisticated systems to keep batteries optimalized. That's where I would look for issues in their product. I also remember a simpler vehicle: the re-introduced Thunderbird in 2002, and what a mechanical disaster that car was. We'll have to see how the Mach E is IRL. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my Y. :cool:

Remembering the meme about Jaguar electrical problems: "Lucas Electric, the Prince of Darkness"

Or, to be on topic, Found On Road Dead was another truism. But if I ever had to buy an American car (other than Tesla), Ford would be my first choice based on thousands of miles in rentals.

That said, they don't have experience with pure EVs and the sophisticated systems to keep batteries optimalized. :cool:

Nor did Tesla, I drove the first prototype drive ever and they did not build it. Besides battery "optimalization" seems like a new technology.
I look forward to getting that on my next Tesla.

You can "LOL" all you want about Tesla's being described as "aspirational", but here's a true story: when I pull up to my son's grade school (K-8th grade) in our Tesla Model 3 to pick him up after school, I often see kids pointing and exclaiming to their friends "Look! There's a TESLA!!". Point is, if you want to know the most current cutting edge trends, observe the kids! I live in a middle class neighborhood and there are more kids who know what TESLA's are, then adults! TESLA being "aspirational" is the new and coming cutting edge trend... proven by kids ;).

You can "LOL" all you want about Tesla's being described as "aspirational", but here's a true story: when I pull up to my son's grade school (K-8th grade) in our Tesla Model 3 to pick him up after school, I often see kids pointing and exclaiming to their friends "Look! There's a TESLA!!". Point is, if you want to know the most current cutting edge trends, observe the kids! I live in a middle class neighborhood and there are more kids who know what TESLA's are, then adults! TESLA being "aspirational" is the new and coming cutting edge trend... proven by kids ;).

Well, I'm sure if you pulled up in a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Civic Type R in the right crowd would elicit the same response as well so your sample size of one doesn't do it for me. Kids would also pick macaroni and cheese and Fortnite over a fine dinner and a show on Broadway so if you are taking your aspirational queues from kids then I don't know what to say.

Model Y pros:
1. More efficient (better for planet)
2. Faster
3. Software (competitive moat)
4. Charging network
5. Proven reliable (over 1,000,000 EVs sold, cosmetic issues notwithstanding)
6. Business units capable of repurposing old EV batteries
7. American jobs
8. S3X appeal

Mach-E pros
1. Cosmetic condition at delivery (remains to be seen)
2. Ventilated seats, heated steering wheel

I have been driving Tesla’s for 8 years. I got my first model s in 2012. I am surprised by the tone in the forum these days. Even today driving my Tesla is a joy. I ordered the Mustang simply to try something new. None of the majors have come close to delivering a car as good as Tesla. However, we all need these new cars to work, period. Don’t be haters lol. If it is as good as a Tesla (unlikely) buy ford stock.

Reactions: db93