Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not make the cards smaller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just had a revelation. My initial thought was with the OP, it would be more convenient to have smaller card on my key ring so I carry it with me along with all my other keys. Then I read this ...

So I looked at my key ring and the only key I use is my car key. There is a key to my house that I use, maybe, once every couple of months, and a key to a rental that I use even less frequently. I could keep my house key in the car and do away with the key ring altogether.... That'll be strange....

I agree with you completely. I have a couple keys I use on a regular basis. What I plan on doing is keeping my old keys in the car at all times and then when I need them the car is there where I am at. My house already has a keypad on the deadbolt so I can get in the house without keys. The only key I would use often is the key fob for my wife's van and if it is in my car if we swap I'll grab it out.

I don't carry a wallet. Don't like sitting on it. I carry the small S shaped FOB and have at times left it in the middle console. Can't find my fob in the morning? Oh shi*&^ it's in the car again! SUpercharged at a mall only to realize the fob has been in the car the whole time. Yes I can be forgetful but keeping the card in the console is a recipe for future Model 3 thefts

Is there any reason for the cards to be larger than 1 cm by 3 cm? RFID chips are tiny, so the biggest requirement would be a place to punch a hole.
The other requirement is for the antenna. That's the usual reason (aside from not knowing where the chip is) why RFID cards say not to punch holes in them. I have one clear credit card, and can see that the antenna covers half the surface area of the card. I assume there's a tradeoff between antenna size and the operating range of the RFID, for a given amount of radiated power / receiver gain on the reader.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I'm pretty sure the Tesla answer is that the keycard is designed to go in a wallet and be a temporary/valet/occasional use thing that's only used to get you in the car so you can pair it with your phone.
Last time I had a key ring was when I last owned an ICE - almost four years ago

So if it's meant for our wallets, why is the sensor at the top of a pillar instead of at ass height?
Because many municipalities have laws against performing lewd acts in public, like rubbing your butt against the side of your car. Tesla does not want to encourage rude behavior. ;)

The first credit card was made to duplicate the form factor of a Rolodex card
So Tesla's ultra-techie, one giant leap into the future access card is the same size and shape as an ancient Rolodex card.
But then, we still talk about EV output in terms of horsepower, too.
Why are traffic signal lenses the size they are? They use the same lens diameter as the lenses in carriages from centuries ago that were illuminated with candles!

• Informative
Reactions: Ivan.R
No I don't need to hold him against the B pillar. He's a BIG male dog and he just lifts his leg on the B pillar.on cue.

Good luck placing him on the center console for the next step.

So if it's meant for our wallets, why is the sensor at the top of a pillar instead of at ass height?

Model 3 hast so much legroom, the sensor actually is at ass height..

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
First person with a model 3 card and access to x-ray can show us where it is safe to cut-away excess plastic.

If it's like RF credit cards though, the antenna does run around pretty much the whole perimeter near the edge.

So it may not be possible to shrink these ones in a meaningful way.

Am I right in thinking that the card has to be placed in the centre console to start the car? I saw this early on, but it could've just been one of those things that needed to be clarified.
According to the user manual, once you authenticate with the card outside of the car you have 15 seconds to press the brake pedal, at which time the car starts or boot up. You don't have to put the card in the center console to drive. If 15 seconds lapse without a brake pedal press, you would have to re-authenticate by having the key card around a reader (door or center console), then you get another 15 seconds to press the pedal.

It would be great if I don't have to take my wallet out to activate or at least not have to take the key out of the wallet. I can have a my work badge in my work bag and hold the bag against the door reader to unlock the office door. Some garage readers can read a card without my rolling down the window.

I like the idea of lowering the key card reader height, perhaps to about the height of the door handle. So one would walk up, turn around the bump the car door, turn back to open the now unlocked door, get in, press the brake pedal, and then drive away without ever taking any item out of any pocket or wallet. The key card would work like a key fob, for those without a smart phone key or do not activate it.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
According to the user manual, once you authenticate with the card outside of the car you have 15 seconds to press the brake pedal, at which time the car starts or boot up. You don't have to put the card in the center console to drive. If 15 seconds lapse without a brake pedal press, you would have to re-authenticate by having the key card around a reader (door or center console), then you get another 15 seconds to press the pedal.

It would be great if I don't have to take my wallet out to activate or at least not have to take the key out of the wallet. I can have a my work badge in my work bag and hold the bag against the door reader to unlock the office door. Some garage readers can read a card without my rolling down the window.

I like the idea of lowering the key card reader height, perhaps to about the height of the door handle. So one would walk up, turn around the bump the car door, turn back to open the now unlocked door, get in, press the brake pedal, and then drive away without ever taking any item out of any pocket or wallet. The key card would work like a key fob, for those without a smart phone key or do not activate it.

That's correct, though remember that the card is the SECONDARY method of unlocking and driving the car. So beyond using it the first time you need to pair your phone with the car, you may have it in your wallet as a backup, though you'll very rarely be using it because as long as you have your phone on you, that's the key and it means you just walk up, get in, and drive. So it isn't like you need to scan it to get in and put the card in the cupholders every time...unless you don't have a phone with bluetooth or you insist on using the card all of the time.

My question is, will I eventually be able to use my LTE-enabled Apple Watch as the key? That'd be super slick.

Both yes and no. I’m not talking about having to wave my rear at it. Just walking close to the car should be enough if you choose to keep it in your wallet or pocket.
While that sounds good - the keycard is very short range, just a few inches and definitely not the 24" or more needed for it to work while in your back pocket. That is what the phone app is for.

While that sounds good - the keycard is very short range, just a few inches and definitely not the 24" or more needed for it to work while in your back pocket. That is what the phone app is for.
Understood. With the card in my right back pocket, I think a low sensor would work even with that short range. I’m also not a fan of always having battery-draining Bluetooth turned on for my phone.

I don't carry a wallet. Don't like sitting on it...
Same for me. I carry my wallet in a backpack and only take it out when I actually need it. With a Model 3 I'd have to carry the wallet or my phone. Instead, I'm leaning toward just putting the card in my pocket where my fob is now. Like some others here, I prefer the fob, with its useful buttons that can be easily operated by feel without even taking it out of my pocket.