Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not make the cards smaller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I don't live in the best of cities/environments so taking out my wallet to open my car and displaying it to everyone will not be my choice to open my car. So it looks like my phone will be the only option I will have left. ( not that I want to take that out in some neighborhoods either ).

I suppose this isn't a concern in the neighborhoods of those who invented the options. Oh well. No problem.
Here's a really wild idea. Don't always keep your card in your wallet. Just walk up with just the card in your hand, or mouth, whichever you prefer. :)

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
I rarely carry a smartphone and I resent being required to carry one and a key card is durn inconvenient. Hope aftermarket makes a fob or smartwatch.
Then good luck to you. Traditionally the aftermarket fills in gaps where the OEM doesn't provide a solution. But the aftermarket audience has to be large enough to make it worthwhile. There's literally, no M3's out in the wild yet. How long do you think its going to take before there's enough complaints from folks like you that don't want to carry a smartphone before some sources decides it worth the chance the market is there to sell enough alternatives fobs to make it worthwhile? For such a unique situation don't you think the first effort to produce and sell a M3 fob the price of each is going to be quite high? I would take your bet 10-1 that you never see a fob from the aftermarket to satisfy those people that don't want to use a card or a smartphone.

Then good luck to you. Traditionally the aftermarket fills in gaps where the OEM doesn't provide a solution. But the aftermarket audience has to be large enough to make it worthwhile. There's literally, no M3's out in the wild yet. How long do you think its going to take before there's enough complaints from folks like you that don't want to carry a smartphone before some sources decides it worth the chance the market is there to sell enough alternatives fobs to make it worthwhile? For such a unique situation don't you think the first effort to produce and sell a M3 fob the price of each is going to be quite high? I would take your bet 10-1 that you never see a fob from the aftermarket to satisfy those people that don't want to use a card or a smartphone.
Depends if/when Tesla releases support for smartwatches (and which ones). Neither key card or smartphone is going to be a good solution for me when I head out for a run or to the gym. A compact robust NFC tag would work, so would an app for my fitness watch. Also depends if Tesla makes the info available to 3rd parties to be able to make a fob/app.

Sadly you may not be the target market for the Model 3 which is embracing much more tech rather than less.
All of the personalization and driver profiling is based entirely on the smartphone and app.
The keycard is just a backup and has many missing features, all the good stuff uses the phone. The keycard just gets you started.

Take a look at my join date, sonny.

• Love
Reactions: CWFLY and DR61
I am not a big fan of the current methods to unlock the Model 3 and start the car, either.

My choices are to carry yet another item in my wallet, remove said item, swipe it near the secret spot and open the car. Or, I can carry my smart phone, unlock my smart phone to turn it on, as I stand near the car. Neither of these choices is appealing if I am schlepping items in my arms.

Or, when I am really stupid on a trip and leave my wallet in the car along with my phone while I chat with another owner at a Supercharger for a few minutes I am locked out of my car. Then what?

My choices are to carry yet another item in my wallet, remove said item, swipe it near the secret spot and open the car. Or, I can carry my smart phone, unlock my smart phone to turn it on, as I stand near the car. Neither of these choices is appealing if I am schlepping items in my arms.

FYI this is not how it works. You should be able to keep your phone in your pocket and approach the car. The car/phone will negotiate automatically from your pocket and the doors will unlock. You step in and go. Just like keyless entry with a normal fob. No need to take the phone out unless you don't want the car to auto unlock. For the trunk you walk up to the back of the car and press the button on the trunk to open it without taking the phone out.

On another note I love your avatar. I always play a game with my wife/kids on a car trip where we try to find a word that starts with each letter of the alphabet and that sign is always needed because "Z" can be hard to find.

Reactions: DR61 and Runt8
FYI this is not how it works. You should be able to keep your phone in your pocket and approach the car. The car/phone will negotiate automatically from your pocket and the doors will unlock. You step in and go. Just like keyless entry with a normal fob. No need to take the phone out unless you don't want the car to auto unlock. For the trunk you walk up to the back of the car and press the button on the trunk to open it without taking the phone out.

On another note I love your avatar. I always play a game with my wife/kids on a car trip where we try to find a word that starts with each letter of the alphabet and that sign is always needed because "Z" can be hard to find.

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know that the phone is "on" even though it is a brick until I unlock it. (Why don't they tell us this when we make these purchases?)

Zzyzx (pronounced ZY-zix) Road is an exit off interstate 15 about nine miles south of Baker, California (home to the highly-anticipated 40-stall Supercharger currently under construction.) It was named by the late preacher-cum-grifter, Curtis Springer, when he formed his religious outpost to cater to any in need. He fleeced his share of sheep over the years both there and on his weekly radio broadcasts. Cal State San Bernardino now occupies the former site as a desert research facility.

If anyone would like to have their keycard converted into an implant, let's talk. I am interested in exploring this possibility. I made that transit card implant for the guy in Australia - opal card implant - Google Search and I'm interested in doing the same for a few Model 3 owners.
Oh, wow! I'd better watch what I joke about on this forum; definitely no hit man or euthanasia jokes. :)