Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF for me. I don't have the time I once did to get out the pressure washer, foam cannons and spend a long time detailing my car. I like with PPF I can just take it to a car wash and not worry about it. I can go get a car wash club for $20/mo of unlimited premium washes and keep it cleaning without worrying about the swirl marks in the paint.

On the Y, the front took some big hits that didn't even phase the PPF. My wife also likes to tailgate cars/trucks more than I'd like. So definitely a greater risk of hits/chips. Looking at her car, the bumper was repainted from someone backing into less than a year ago. Already it is pockmarked substantially with the white primer showing through like a teenager with acne. It had PPF for 6 years and had to be removed to repaint and never put it back on. If the car was newer I would have really regretted not going with PPF again.

Reactions: GBMaryland
Why preserve the car for the next buyer? It makes no sense to spend thousands on PPF on a Tesla. These are appliances and no one will pay you the thousands back when you sell it. It you get a ton of chips, spend $500 on a bumper respray before selling or let the next dealer/buyer do it.

Now, if you’re selling a Ferrari to that picky buyer group, then the ppf might help the sale.

If the damage is significant enough you end up having to have it fixed. PPF serves multiple purposes:

…allowing you to park the car wherever you want and knowing that if you take it to the car wash whatever you got on it will come off. Bugs, sand, salt, never having to wax the car, minor scapes from bushes don’t happen, more serious scuffs dont damage the paint, minor car door hits dont damage the paint or the film, etc.

I’m not saving the car for the next buyer… I’m saving the car for me being annoyed with all the *sugar* that normally gets messed up on it due to the aforementioned.

Yeah it’s expensive… less so to me right now… probably more so when I finally retire.

If the damage is significant enough you end up having to have it fixed. PPF serves multiple purposes:

…allowing you to park the car wherever you want and knowing that if you take it to the car wash whatever you got on it will come off. Bugs, sand, salt, never having to wax the car, minor scapes from bushes don’t happen, more serious scuffs dont damage the paint, minor car door hits dont damage the paint or the film, etc.

I’m not saving the car for the next buyer… I’m saving the car for me being annoyed with all the *sugar* that normally gets messed up on it due to the aforementioned.

Yeah it’s expensive… less so to me right now… probably more so when I finally retire.
On a 50/60k car…we’re talking 1.2k to protect the front even. I agree the full 5-6k ppf may not be necessary depending on budget and car colour but for protecting the front and keeping the car looking fresh/new for 5Yrs+, worthwhile cost to me.

Reactions: samori01
On a 50/60k car…we’re talking 1.2k to protect the front even. I agree the full 5-6k ppf may not be necessary depending on budget and car colour but for protecting the front and keeping the car looking fresh/new for 5Yrs+, worthwhile cost to me.
Unless you drive only local roads ( ~25mph limit) with short commute, your PPFed front end look dirty/damaged/stained after a few years of driving. Your paint will look amazing under it, but the PPF itself will show all the impacts from the roads and other cars.

Unless you drive only local roads ( ~25mph limit) with short commute, your PPFed front end look dirty/damaged/stained after a few years of driving. Your paint will look amazing under it, but the PPF itself will show all the impacts from the roads and other cars.
Yes agreed…then you go right back to your installer and for $250 have it ripped off and new one on. Voila instant show room condition.
There is no having to repaint oem paint here with aftermarket paint jobs that usually show bubbles, inclusions, clear coat errors etc

Yes agreed…then you go right back to your installer and for $250 have it ripped off and new one on. Voila instant show room condition.
There is no having to repaint oem paint here with aftermarket paint jobs that usually show bubbles, inclusions, clear coat errors etc

I am sure that it will be more than $250 which is already not cheap.

So, my question is that how often are you willing to replace the front PPF?
Because you can get your PPF get hit by something next day and damage your PPF.

Unless you need your car to be showroom condition, either the paint or PPF will get damaged/chipped/scratched, and there's no way around to avoid it.

Reactions: Daekwan
I am sure that it will be more than $250 which is already not cheap.

So, my question is that how often are you willing to replace the front PPF?
Because you can get your PPF get hit by something next day and damage your PPF.

Unless you need your car to be showroom condition, either the paint or PPF will get damaged/chipped/scratched, and there's no way around to avoid it.
You are correct with respect to larger chips etc. PPF has self healing properties in that with sun and heat, it has a way of healing itself from minor nicks, hits etc. which is really the vast majority of day to day road dirt etc. even scratches form car washing can be fixed up. with heat.

To answer your question, depends how ocd some people are with their car liking brand new 🤷🏽‍♂️ Some live by it and others couldn’t care less. Tesla paint happens to be thinner than most other manuf so there is also that. And add black paint into the mix and recipe for scratches, nicks, marks etc without protection.

My installer said normally it’s $350-400 for a bumper but when replacing it’s discounted. 🤷🏽‍♂️I guess they made their $ on the front end.

You are correct with respect to larger chips etc. PPF has self healing properties in that with sun and heat, it has a way of healing itself from minor nicks, hits etc. which is really the vast majority of day to day road dirt etc. even scratches form car washing can be fixed up. with heat.

To answer your question, depends how ocd some people are with their car liking brand new 🤷🏽‍♂️ Some live by it and others couldn’t care less. Tesla paint happens to be thinner than most other manuf so there is also that. And add black paint into the mix and recipe for scratches, nicks, marks etc without protection.

My installer said normally it’s $350-400 for a bumper but when replacing it’s discounted. 🤷🏽‍♂️I guess they made their $ on the front end.
Fair enough.
I had full front PPF on my Golf R, but the PPF got damaged/chipped after 1.5 years of 70 mile commute on 55 mph speed limit highway.

I agree with you on the self healing with heat, but I noticed that those scratches and swirl marks came back during the winter months when it is cold.

So about that... what's the advantage to a satin finish? Is it preference, or is there a good reason to do that?
There is no advantage other than aesthetics...it looks really cool. If you are getting the MY to just drive, and you are not one that washes your car weekly, you don't have baby wipes in your glove box to do quick clean-ups, you don't have different wash set-ups depending on the weather and for the exterior, the interior, the windows and your tires....then it probably isn't for you.