Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why red rear signal lights on US version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be that the red/amber turn signal difference is software related? I imagine the taillight part number could be the same with RGB LEDs and the software handles the difference in behavior. Not sure if this is the case but seems possible.

I haven't figured out a way to access the EPC for Europe, but in the US one the Model 3 taillights include SAE in the nomenclature, which I suspect indicates there's a different version for the EU...

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 4.42.46 PM.png

I see Audi’s in the US that have brake lights that flash. Mustangs also.
After a little more research, it seems that the legality of this might vary from state to state. So no OEM is going to enable it for US vehicles, since they don't know where the vehicle will end up.

Of course, there are also aftermarket kits (or occasionally coding) to enable this... you're probably unlikely to get "caught" for this.

It's easy. In N. America yellow means front and red means rear. If I see a yellow flasher, is it someone with headlights off and signal on coming at me or the rear of the car w/o the brake lights? Yellow rear signals are often too bright and distracting, again front or rear?
The YouTube dweeb had to disable two lights to make a lame point, yellow means signal, it doesn't and N. America messed up by allowing foreign autos to not change the Amber to red.
We had to learn this to get our licences! And it's been this way for decades...
And yeah I'm old... ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: jas and Mrcarcrazy
It's easy. In N. America yellow means front and red means rear.... ;)
Not true since a high percentage of cars in the US have amber rear turn signals. Just look next time you are out and you will see many and almost ½ from what I see (subjective but there is is LOT) are amber. If almost ½ are amber then red CAN'T define rear.

EDIT: Here is a NHTSA study that states that amber signals are 5.3% more effective in avoiding a rear end crash.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811115

Here are the cars included in the study and as you can see MANY are US manufactured that have had amber signals.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 6.35.02 PM.png

Last edited:
Not true since a high percentage of cars in the US have amber rear turn signals. Just look next time you are out and you will see many and almost ½ from what I see (subjective but there is is LOT) are amber. If almost ½ are amber then red CAN'T define rear.

EDIT: Here is a NHTSA study that states that amber signals are 5.3% more effective in avoiding a rear end crash.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811115

Here are the cars included in the study and as you can see MANY are US manufactured that have had amber signals.

View attachment 439402
I'm sorry, but this started in 1968 when the feds reqd side marker lights. It was the middle 70's during the oil embargo when we started allowing those amber rear lights on imports. History, learn it. ;)

There are numerous studies that show the amber turn signals give a statistically significant reduction in accidents. Once parts are widely available I plan on swapping mine out for the European modules with the amber turn signals.
It may be more complicated than just swapping parts, as the exterior lighting is, like everything else, controlled by software. If the software thinks the brake lights and the rear turn signals are combined, having the European assembly where they are separate won't work without the European version of the software.

Wonder if stats have been compiled using car’s braking distance. If you can stop faster it reduces the likelihood of you rear ending someone but increases the chance of being rear ended if the car following you hasn’t maintained proper following distance. I’ll admit to being on Team Red.

Of course not and according to NHTSA your odds are only 5.3% higher. However IF you are rear ended it is 100% to you. You guys are allowing passion to override study data. I also like red better but science says amber is safer.

That was a rhetorical follow up. Of course the answer is no, and no, I’m not allowing passion to override anything. :)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I see Audi’s in the US that have brake lights that flash. Mustangs also.

These cars do not have flashing brake lights, they have animated turn signals.

Turn signals in the US must be at least 220 sq mm upon signal initiation and the beginning segment on the Mustang satisfies that. The remaining two segments then light up in sequence and the animation repeats.

The Audi lights do not satisfy that with their European animation so in the US there is a brake light strip that lights up simultaneously with the first segment of the animation.

Flashing brake lights outside of an emergency stop are not legal in the US.

Is there some epidemic of Model 3s getting rear-ended that I’m not aware of?
No, you just hear about 3’s getting rear ended more than any other wreck involving a 3. Excluding that one guy on a YouTube channel who backed into a wall...heard quite a bit about that.

Just amazes me how much real estate the model 3 taillights take up and how little is utilized for brake lights.

Reactions: jas
Odd just did a search and found a Youtube video about red brake lights.

It's an interesting video, but to me there is still no "ambiguity" as he says. When I see a flashing rear indicator on one side of the car, I know it is a turn signal regardless of what color it is. I guess I am missing something, but 50 years of driving, it never occurred to me even one time that this is an issue. :D

• Love
Reactions: XLR82XS