Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so many 21" Ubertines for sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are heavy, loud, have less range, and tire options aren’t as plentiful.
Great summary.

Specifically, they weigh almost 40lbs each,
There's only one option for factory sized all-season tires and that just showed up two months ago
No tire rotation ability with directional tires like the summer Pirellis that Tesla used to put on the MYP
All tire options for 21" wheels are much more expensive than they are for smaller wheels

I'm really surprised Tesla doesnt offer the option for the 20" Inductions instead. I'd think a lot of people would choose them over the Ultraturbines.

Reactions: jeremymc7
I sold mine as fast as I could find a good set of Gemini's and find a buyer for the Uberturbine's. In a strait line the Gemini's with all season rubber have better acceleration than the Uberturbine's on high performance summer only rubber (as shown on my draggy). I would have sold even faster but I was trying to find out if 2021 M3 18" aero wheels (the new stronger ones, good load rating for MY) would fit the MYP if I used spacers in the back to move them out from the hub a bit for brake caliper clearance. I was never able to get a good answer so settled for the Gemini's.

Keith

Reactions: Daekwan
I sold mine as fast as I could find a good set of Gemini's and find a buyer for the Uberturbine's. In a strait line the Gemini's with all season rubber have better acceleration than the Uberturbine's on high performance summer only rubber (as shown on my draggy). I would have sold even faster but I was trying to find out if 2021 M3 18" aero wheels (the new stronger ones, good load rating for MY) would fit the MYP if I used spacers in the back to move them out from the hub a bit for brake caliper clearance. I was never able to get a good answer so settled for the Gemini's.

Keith
Awesome to hear that Gemini's would fit with the MYP brakes!

What times did you get on draggy? I've heard as low as 3.2 seconds for 0-60 with lightweight 18" or 19" wheels

Seller here:

1. For a DD we wanted a "square" set up for rotation and longevity.
2. Don't really care for the looks of any of the Tesla stock wheels.
3. Wanted to go down to 20" for comfort and wearability. Actually like the look of 21" better but again this is a DD so need practicality.
4. Do not like the "stretched" look.
5. Added benefit of all the above is a huge weight savings. Fronts with tires weigh 65lbs and rears are 70lbs. New set up is 50lbs so 70lbs of unsprung weight savings. That should be worth a mile extra of range ;-)

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Awesome to hear that Gemini's would fit with the MYP brakes!

What times did you get on draggy? I've heard as low as 3.2 seconds for 0-60 with lightweight 18" or 19" wheels
Why wouldn’t they fit with the MYP brakes? It’s the exact same calipers but just in a red-branded finish. The rotors are (very)slightly thicker - that’s it. MYLR gets the same Brembo 4-piston calipers as the MYP. It’s just the color and few millimeters thicker rotor. The MYLR’s calipers fit the Gemini’s with lots of room to spare. The only performance benefit with the fancy red MYP brakes is the better cooling on track days. It’s crazy that more people don’t know this.. The information is all there when comparing the specs on Tesla’s site.

Why wouldn’t they fit with the MYP brakes? It’s the exact same calipers but just in a red-branded finish. The rotors are (very)slightly thicker - that’s it. MYLR gets the same Brembo 4-piston calipers as the MYP. It’s just the color and few millimeters thicker rotor. The MYLR’s calipers fit the Gemini’s with lots of room to spare. The only performance benefit with the fancy red MYP brakes is the better cooling on track days. It’s crazy that more people don’t know this.. The information is all there when comparing the specs on Tesla’s site.

Not correct.

The REAR calipers on the MYP are larger than the rear calipers on the MY LR, and in fact the MYP rear calipers have a weird kick out on one end that actually makes your limiting factor on wheels weather or not they will fit over the REAR calipers on the MYP. For example, the 18" aero wheels from a M3 will fit on the front and rear of the MY LR, but they will not fit on the rear of the MYP.

Keith

Anyone out there know if the Model 3 19" sport wheels will work on a MYP? Wasn't sure about weight and brake
Not correct.

The REAR calipers on the MYP are larger than the rear calipers on the MY LR, and in fact the MYP rear calipers have a weird kick out on one end that actually makes your limiting factor on wheels weather or not they will fit over the REAR calipers on the MYP. For example, the 18" aero wheels from a M3 will fit on the front and rear of the MY LR, but they will not fit on the rear of the MYP.

Keith
Interesting. This wasn’t the case with a 2020 MYP that we just sold. The rear calipers didn’t have any odd shape that limited the wheels.