Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla trade-in price extremely low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kijiji and Auto Trader show what people think their car is worth and are trying to get, not what they actually get for them in the end. That said, probably still more than the trade-in value you were offered, but you do "pay" for the convenience when you trade in. I do have to say that in our case, we got more from Tesla for our old Santa Fe XL Ultimate than we ever expected to, more in fact than we still owed the bank, so we were pretty thrilled. It's a shame if Tesla's not making offers like that on their own product.
The problem is that they value their own products lower than market price, but value non Tesla cars fairly. Let me try to send them value my 2013 RX350.

Bottomline is Tesla cares about their bottomline...pun intended. Taking a trade-in means reconditioning, sticking it in inventory, taking up real estate space, paying people to sell them, and after all that they want to make a profit. For me, I'd probably be unwilling to give up that difference between what they are willing to offer vs selling privately. The good part is that it's the consumers' choice whether they want to go through the additional work of a private sale to max out the return or pay for the trade-in convenience. The other factor is that Tesla is not challenged with making high volumes of cars and having lots of new inventory means there's less incentive to give high prices on trade-ins. Pick the option that suits your needs best and honestly it's not worth complaining about an option you're not forced to take. For everyone doing a trade in it's simply one of 2 options; accept what they offer for trade in or sell yourself.

Reactions: richyrich
Got trade in estimate of my 2013 rx 350 with 18600. Okay a 2018 Model3 worth only 25000 But a 2013 rx350 worth 18600. Tesla is trying to tell people that ICE degradates much slower than an electric car. How can we continue to help to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy?

Reactions: cdswm3
Got trade in estimate of my 2013 rx 350 with 18600. Okay a 2018 Model3 worth only 25000 But a 2013 rx350 worth 18600. Tesla is trying to tell people that ICE degradates much slower than an electric car. How can we continue to help to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy?
It’s by design.

Also, do you currently have an active loan on your Model 3?

The other variance between comparing a Lexus to a Tesla is that with the Lexus, it will likley be sold to a wholesaler so the value is determined by what the wholesaler is willing to pay. Whereas with a trade-in Tesla, it will likely be sold by Tesla and with the high turnover of new cars they deliver, they won't want a used Tesla unless there is a mark-up worth their while.

I think these days ICE vehicles have a much higher value that EV's.