Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the obsession with deleting chrome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think chrome started to get a bad rap as baby boomers were coming of age - and looking down their noses at the values of their parents. All of a sudden it became cheap, and gaudy - and the antithesis of European (which most imports were at that time). Have to laugh at that a bit, as the last thing chrome is is cheap.

Even Consumers Research waded in. When I first began reading their road tests, in the early 60's, as much barbed ink was aimed at the American lifestyle as the engineering of the American cars they regularly panned. I've suspected that anti-American bias became endemic to CR in those years. Even as American cars began to conform more to consumerism and its expectations, respect for improvements in efficiency and quality came only grudgingly. Now I have my own bias. I trust CR when it comes to appliances, but when it comes to cars I rarely agree with them - especially on the subjective ratings.

Reactions: SaloonGoon
I personally do not like the chrome. That’s one reason why I liked the white cars because it kinda hides it better. But I choose red in the end. The clear non tinted windows also helps the chrome not stand out so much. Never liked them. When I had the bmw I choose the sport trim to delete the chrome and would have gladly paid for a permanent delete. I personally haven’t deleted mine because I’ve learned to ignore it, and also the current solutions are 3m tape and are not permanent. They’ll eventually need replacing.
Oops not 3m tape lol

I like chrome delete but it depends on the color of the car. In some cases chrome can be a good accent, but in others it looks cheap. In my opinion, I would chrome delete to black on a black car. I think chrome looks good on white, silver, blue, red and the dark gray.

I'm fine with chrome.

I'll tell you what I miss though, and I can't understand why more people don't love it as much as I do. Polished aluminum wheels. Not chrome, not silver; polished aluminum. It has a unique "I'm awesome" look that all the not so awesome people are missing out on these days.

Ehhh. I had a set of I-Forged polished aluminum my 1995 Toyota Supra. Yes they look incredible, but with oxidation (yes aluminum does) and brake dust were almost impossible to keep looking nice. Perhaps the brake dust isn't an issue on a Tesla b/c of regenerative braking.

I loathe the days of using Bar Keeper's Friend on ever nook and cranny to win a car show.

It's kind of like getting a black car. Looks best if you have time to take care of it, but you have to go in knowing it is needy.

Reactions: 03DSG
8624B8AE-06FD-41A1-A046-DE627DBDED89.jpeg
Because this.

Last edited:
On my last car I chrome deleted the exterior but I just didn't want to spend the effort on the Model 3. Plus the blue is a bit too dark to get good contrast for it. Besides the chrome isnt really all that bright anyways so I kinda dig it at the mirrors.

I think chrome started to get a bad rap as baby boomers were coming of age - and looking down their noses at the values of their parents. All of a sudden it became cheap, and gaudy - and the antithesis of European (which most imports were at that time). Have to laugh at that a bit, as the last thing chrome is is cheap.

I'm a mid-boom baby boomer and I've always liked chrome — it's what I grew up with. I never really noticed chrome delete on the streets, and only found out it was a thing on these boards. For that reason, I thought chrome delete was a GenXer / Millennial fashion statement.

Geez, it's not like the Model 3 is caked with chrome like most cars. It's very understated and just a touch of highlights to contrast the deeply saturated colors and black details.

It's 100% about personal aesthetics. I have a pearl white, and (imho) the chrome adds to the lovely black/white contrast. I can't imagine making the handles, etc. white.

I dislike chrome. To me it's not really functional, it's unnecessary 'bling', it's heavy, it's what you see on slow motorcycles (I'm a sportbike fan), and I really don't like it on cars at all. I like my cars to be minimalist, clean, and I don't like attention brought to small parts like door handles or marker lights. :D I think wheels look better in black so they 'disappear' and let the styling of the car speak for itself.

I’m an oddball I suppose. I like the chrome and I like the deleted chrome look. Not really sure which I prefer. I did the body color delete on my handles. But left the rest of the chrome as it accents the white nicely, I’d likely do a body color delete over black on my car if I was to do it. Time will tell. It hasn’t offended me yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Because chrome clashes with a dark colored car. A black trim blends well with a black or gray colored car. On lighter colors such as pearl white, the chrome trim actually blends in so it isn’t as essential.
Disagree but it’s all subjective. Unless you like the murdered out look the chrome actually looks okay on black. On pearl white a glossy (or satin) chrome delete looks pretty sweet for contrast.

Reactions: tccartier
I think the chrome, especially around the windows, distracts from the flowing lines of the wheel wells, hood and trunk by creating that "bubble" image. On a properly chrome-deleted car, the sensuous flowing lines of trunk, A pillar to rear arse all look smooth and sexy.

Also, I was a Harley guy for decades, and once I switched to performance race bikes, chrome was the epitome of heavy, slow and ineffectual. . .its obviously a subjective, mostly non-performance effective mod for these cars, but I live in SoCal, within blocks of a supercharger, so subtle mods to set my car off from others is appreciated. . . .