Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why we need two super charger site in Markham?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think that Tesla lacks of planning in regards where to put super chargers.

They just built 20 stall super charger site at Markville mall. And today I have seen another site at 1st market place is being built.

Why? Tesla try to encourage S/X users free use their super charger instead of charging at home?

Markham shall not be a hub a for distance traveling by any means.

Come on, we need more charger at 401 corridor, but those are delayed.

My guess would be that they started planning this a year or two ago anticipating that one of the two would fall through or get blocked. When they both got approved they just decided to roll with it.

Could also be that they are anticipating a large number of folks in that area who can't charge at home and so this will encourage adoption there.

They just built 20 stall super charger site at Markville mall. And today I have seen another site at 1st market place is being built.
I think you mean Smart Centers Markham Woodside

My guess would be that they started planning this a year or two ago anticipating that one of the two would fall through or get blocked. When they both got approved they just decided to roll with it.

Could also be that they are anticipating a large number of folks in that area who can't charge at home and so this will encourage adoption there.

I will agree with 1st guess. But not agree with 2nd. Ppl in apartment buying a Tesla , chance is not that big.

Why? Tesla try to encourage S/X users free use their super charger instead of charging at home?

Markham shall not be a hub a for distance traveling by any means.

Come on, we need more charger at 401 corridor, but those are delayed.

While both chargers are in Markham, one is clearly off of the 407 and the other is off of the 404. They serve different purposes, as far as I'm concerned (I'm frequently in the area).

In terms of more chargers off of the 401, I'm with you.

While both chargers are in Markham, one is clearly off of the 407 and the other is off of the 404. They serve different purposes, as far as I'm concerned (I'm frequently in the area).

In terms of more chargers off of the 401, I'm with you.

Why we need super chargers for 404 and 407, total length of both highways are less than the Tesla any vehicle range. As I said, I will never consider Markham as traveling hub for any means.

Barrie for example, makes sense as a hub for people going north..Kingston for example is hub for people going east..

The density of superchargers in California is a model for the rest of the world.

Markham is likely to have California like density according to Tesla. And according to my eyes. Typically see 5 to 10 Tesla's on a routine trip through or around Markham.

I don't agree Tesla owner density imply Super Charge Density. Unless we are still thinking that Model S/X users utilize super charger for daily use for free..I believe super charger means for long distance travel not for local charging.. For Local charging , Tesla owner should either charge at home or utilize local J1722 infrastructure.

Okay, Tesla's logic is that Markham has many people purchased Tesla, so let's build more charging stations..

For me as Markhamer who also just own a Tesla, I don't agree this logic..I do hope that Tesla should spend more their money to build supper charger at traveling hub.(eg, along 401 corridor).

Last edited:
As someone who lives on the north end of Hwy 404, I do greatly appreciate that they are building a Supercharger at Markham - Woodside to service commuters along the 404 as there are no other Superchargers off the 404.

As someone who lives on the north end of Hwy 404, I do greatly appreciate that they are building a Supercharger at Markham - Woodside to service commuters along the 404 as there are no other Superchargers off the 404.

Unless the purpose to use super charger is for free usage, I did not see a reason that a super charger is need along 404. As total length of 404 is way short than any Tesla cars range.

You're viewing this from your own needs. The same question could be applied to Barrie. Just consider it an expansion and that it has nothing to do with further expansion elsewhere. Prioritization may not be part of it but rather just happenstance as to getting permits to build it. If it has to do with density, then it's not necessarily about then number of owners in the vicinity but rather the anticipated routes taken as part of a commute. There's tons of people who commute along that section - both north/south on the 404 and east/west on the 401.

Personally, the one in Markville is a pain in the neck to get to, so if this new one is close to the 404 it would be better for commuters without a rather long diversion.

You're viewing this from your own needs. The same question could be applied to Barrie. Just consider it an expansion and that it has nothing to do with further expansion elsewhere. Prioritization may not be part of it but rather just happenstance as to getting permits to build it. If it has to do with density, then it's not necessarily about then number of owners in the vicinity but rather the anticipated routes taken as part of a commute. There's tons of people who commute along that section - both north/south on the 404 and east/west on the 401.

Personally, the one in Markville is a pain in the neck to get to, so if this new one is close to the 404 it would be better for commuters without a rather long diversion.

Getting off 407 to Markville is almost same as getting off 404 to woodbine mall. And 407 and woodbine mall is same distance as 404. So if planned right , why we need 20 stall Markville while woodbine mall could cover both 407 and 404.

Getting off 407 to Markville is almost same as getting off 404 to woodbine mall. And 407 and woodbine mall is same distance as 404. So if planned right , why we need 20 stall Markville while woodbine mall could cover both 407 and 404.

Markville obviously planned to have it early on. Part of the reason is that SuperCharger locations must first get approval from whoever owns the property, so it's not exactly as clear cut as you like to think as to the why and how locations are chosen. The main difference (at least for me) is that the 407 is a toll road, so for people who don't use the 407 for that reason, having some place along the 404 actually makes more sense. That said, I don't think the Woodside (Woodbine is waaayyy over by the 400/427) is ideal either.

In the end, the rollout of SuperChargers will continue as more vehicles get on the road, so it's likely there will be even more chargers in (hopefully) more strategic locations.

Reactions: ZooSean
Markville obviously planned to have it early on. Part of the reason is that SuperCharger locations must first get approval from whoever owns the property, so it's not exactly as clear cut as you like to think as to the why and how locations are chosen. The main difference (at least for me) is that the 407 is a toll road, so for people who don't use the 407 for that reason, having some place along the 404 actually makes more sense. That said, I don't think the Woodside (Woodbine is waaayyy over by the 400/427) is ideal either.

In the end, the rollout of SuperChargers will continue as more vehicles get on the road, so it's likely there will be even more chargers in (hopefully) more strategic locations.

We need more along 401, and more going north.

Reactions: TrevTremaine