Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why won't Tesla offer Window Tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Planning for my second Tesla window tint. Doing the tedious work of taking referrals and looking at online reviews while I keep wondering why tinting wasn't a factory option.
Would definitely have saved me a lot of time and anxiety.

Trying to figure out what business mechanism separates out the tint market from the OEMs. SUVs but not sedans get factory tinted for some reason. Only on the rear cabin though, mening you still need to bring them in for aftermarket tint.

I haven't seen a single Tesla without tint here in the sub tropics. Can you imagine if Tesla didn't put on wheels and tires at the factory and you had to take the car to a third party to get wheels after delivery?

Remember when stereo upgrades were mostly aftermarket? up until late 1990s. Probably less common upgrade than tinting, but yet, the OEMs started with nice factory options, and even branded ones like Bank Olufsen. Makes sense.
Why is tinting any different?

Would love to hear everybody's theory on this.

Last edited:
My guess is every state has different laws regarding window tinting and Tesla doesn't want to be bothered with trying to figure out which states allow which tinting and making sure they don't sell a car with "illegal" tint in a specific state.

Mike
why are SUVs, e.g. Model X, tinted from the factory then?

upload_2018-1-30_14-15-56.png

Tesla used to offer a clear frontal paint protection wrap for a decent price from the factory... $1000-1500 comes to mind.

I didn't go for the option but went with a fuller clear wrap aftermarket, which cost me $1000.

Tinting side and back windows is "to taste" so they'd have to get into all those permutations and configuration options.. something they're trying to do the opposite of now.. Streamline, simplify. Crank out faster.

Tinting side and back windows is "to taste" so they'd have to get into all those permutations and configuration options.. something they're trying to do the opposite of now.. Streamline, simplify. Crank out faster.
Following the same logic: Paint color is also to taste and the paint shop adds cost and complexity. Instead they should sell the car in bare metal and have your tint shop wrap the car to your taste.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Shiro
Following the same logic: Paint color is also to taste and the paint shop adds cost and complexity. Instead they should sell the car in bare metal and have your tint shop wrap the car to your taste.

Cannot ship a car w/o paint. The metal has to be protected. The painting process also involves dipping, so much easier when the seats and such are not installed.

Tint can easily be installed aftermarket. At least in the standard car world, it's a nice source of profit for the dealers.

I assume they will get to it some day, but I do suspect the reason is the laws regarding tinting. If Tesla did it, it would likely just be in the glass... so has to meet the laws of all the states and countries or it would even be difficult to move from one state to another. Tint film can easily be removed.

Cannot ship a car w/o paint. The metal has to be protected. The painting process also involves dipping, so much easier when the seats and such are not installed.

Tint can easily be installed aftermarket. At least in the standard car world, it's a nice source of profit for the dealers.

I assume they will get to it some day, but I do suspect the reason is the laws regarding tinting. If Tesla did it, it would likely just be in the glass... so has to meet the laws of all the states and countries or it would even be difficult to move from one state to another. Tint film can easily be removed.
The no paint was meant as a joke.

However, to comply in all states, electro chromatic glass could be a factory option. Then you have software that sets the min allowable level depending on where the car is sold. Perhaps some states even allow complete black when the car is parked?

The no paint was meant as a joke.

However, to comply in all states, electro chromatic glass could be a factory option. Then you have software that sets the min allowable level depending on where the car is sold. Perhaps some states even allow complete black when the car is parked?

I would love that and was hoping it would become reality for Tesla before I purchased. I would imagine it would be like the glass on the Boeing 787.

Reactions: Olle
It’s not a simplicity thing, it’s simply illegal in many states to have tinted windows on anything but a “truck.” I would be shocked if there was a single sedan produced from any manufacturer that had “factory” tinted windows.

(Source: I have acquired at least 10 “fix it” tickets from the great Commenwealth over the last 20 years driving sedans with moderately tinted windows. I’ve written to my representatives who claim “it’s for the safety and security of our officers” to be able to see in my windows, hence, no change to the law.)