Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 still hasn't gotten the latest maps for using navigate on autopilot.
I'm wanting to connect to an open "Xfinity" connection because my car can't reach our wifi (we have Xfinity too). However, like trying to connect to hotel wifi, without accepting the terms or whatever the car won't connect. Is there a workaround for this? layman's terms please!

This "open xfinity" thing you're trying to connect to - I'd give up on that. Unless it's yours, it's going to be nearly impossible to log onto unless you have the correct credentials, and I suspect the neighbor that owns it doesn't want your car attached to it. As suggested earlier, a range extender of some kind or a wifi mesh network is your best bet. I use a netgear orbi setup, and it covers my house, garage and yard really well.

I could be wrong but I don’t believe you can log into WiFi that requires you to interact with a portal. I can’t be 100% sure because my SR+ does not have the web browser. However, you can connect to xfinitywifi hotspots if you spoof the MAC address of your car with another computer, connect to xfinitywifi and sign in, and then disconnect. When you reconnect the car the xfinity system will recognize the MAC as being associated to your account and will allow the car access to the network. I’ve tried this and it works great. If you need instructions on how to do this let me know whether you have a Mac or a PC and I can send you the appropriate instructions.

I tried that and then it looked like it would connect with the wifi bars showing/spinning, but then it said "failed to connect"
Hm, here's an older thread that describes a (somewhat hacky) solution:

Connecting to xfinitywifi

Basically, find out your car's MAC address, then spoof that address on a Linux or MacOS computer, and authenticate to the Wifi network using that computer. Now your car should be able to connect as well.

Sounds like you may have to use your phone's hotspot and eat some data charges.

The next answer is to use WiFi extenders.

Other options, but no with "layman's terms please" in the request.

You can use any network that is open and doesn't require an authentication page. Or secure with a password.