Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi to LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started having this issue - when I'm in my driveway the car is connected to my home wifi and everything is fine. Start playing spotify, drive away. Suddenly now when I get out of my home WIFI range the car is no longer disconnecting from the Wifi and switching to the LTE. So voice commands won't work, obviously Spotify won't play or switch songs. I waited a while but after being over 5km from my house I still had no connectivity. The only thing that worked was turning off my Wifi, then turning it back on. It of course couldn't find my home network so went to LTE.

I've had the car for over a month now and this really just started happening since probably the last update. M3LR is version 2022.28.1 currently.
Anybody else have this issue?

I should add my 30 day free trial of premium just expired on sept 19 so I also now pay for the premium connectivity. Not sure if the two are related but the issue is certainly more problematic the last few days. Also a reboot of the screen fixes the issue but so does turning off the wifi and back on.

Yeah, definitely try holding both thumb wheels to reboot (no brake necessary). I've had a few cases of WiFi issues that were resolved by rebooting, although it's usually a failure to connect or even enable WiFi.

Since you've only had it for a month, I'll be the bearer of bad news - it's not uncommon for Tesla to break things with their updates. Usually they release a bug fix a few days later, but sometimes those issues persist for months (charge port door issues, auto trunk issues are both good examples).

Reactions: RTPEV
Not sure who needs to hear this but … the brake myth has to stop! It does nothing. Absolutely nothing - only the scroll wheels are needed. Holding the brake changes nothing.
</rant>

I've seen it mentioned a number of times that there are two levels of reboot, one with just the wheel controls and one that uses the brake as well. The former is supposed to be a "softer" reset vs. the latter with the brake that cycles some additional subsystems[?]

Back when I first heard this, I tried it a few times, and while I may have been hallucinating, which for me, wouldn't be surprising ... I thought the restart times between the two methods were different (the brake sequence taking longer, which would make sense).

I guess if it does nothing, it's not technically hurting anything, just unnecessary.

Last edited:
I've seen it mentioned a number of times that there are two levels of reboot, one with just the wheel controls and one that uses the brake as well. The former is supposed to be a "softer" reset vs. the latter with the brake that cycles some additional subsystems[?]

Back when I first heard this, I tried it a few times, and while I may have been hallucinating, which for me, wouldn't be surprising ... I thought the restart times between the two methods were different (the brake sequence taking longer, which would make sense).

I guess if it does nothing, it's not technically hurting anything, just unnecessary.

It's one of those myths that continues to spread like a wildfire; there's genuinely no difference whatsoever.

I've got that from folks who would (very very much) be in a position to know. Inside the palace, as it were.

And no, you're likely not hallucinating -- reboots do take different times, depending on running processes, file states, filesystem checks etc -- it's not consistent at all.

Doesn't hurt anything of course, just doing what I can to stop the myth from spreading :)

PS - if you *are* hallucinating, why aren't you sharing?

I’m in a similar boat. Had my LR Model 3 for less than a month and coincidentally after the recent update (2022.28.2) the car is having trouble connecting to data despite showing ”LTE bars” on the connectivity icon; so no real time traffic, streaming etc. My phone is therefore unable to detect the car remotely so all I see is “last seen xxx”, typically corresponding to a time when I last had it connected to wifi or tethered off my phone. I also can’t remotely view the live cameras when sentry mode is on. I’ve tried several resets via the scroll wheels to no avail. Will keep trying, but I booked a service appointment anyways. Super annoying. I suspect it was the update but haven’t seen too many people complain about it online, otherwise I would’ve waited… Good luck! Hopefully this gets sorted out.

I’m in a similar boat. Had my LR Model 3 for less than a month and coincidentally after the recent update (2022.28.2) the car is having trouble connecting to data despite showing ”LTE bars” on the connectivity icon; so no real time traffic, streaming etc. My phone is therefore unable to detect the car remotely so all I see is “last seen xxx”, typically corresponding to a time when I last had it connected to wifi or tethered off my phone. I also can’t remotely view the live cameras when sentry mode is on. I’ve tried several resets via the scroll wheels to no avail. Will keep trying, but I booked a service appointment anyways. Super annoying. I suspect it was the update but haven’t seen too many people complain about it online, otherwise I would’ve waited… Good luck! Hopefully this gets sorted out.
Might your premium connectivity have just expired?

Check in "upgrades" or whatever and see if it gives you more information. What you're describing sure sounds like what happened when you don't have premium connectivity ($10/month).

Might your premium connectivity have just expired?

Check in "upgrades" or whatever and see if it gives you more information. What you're describing sure sounds like what happened when you don't have premium connectivity ($10/month).
I’m still in the 30-day premium connectivity trial until the 6th of October, but I subscribed early anyways since I suspected that as well. Unfortunately it’s still unable to connect, despite showing LTE connection. I’m hoping it’s not anything hardware related since it was working fine about a week or two ago…

Wow... I'm surprised this was the solution. Tesla devs need a good lesson in the "principle of least astonishment". There are many small things like this... climate controls in the app and the car have like a dozen less than obvious behaviors as well.

This is one of those "darned if you do, darned if you dont" type things. People CLAMMORED for this type of setting, and when others said "more choices = more confusion" (basically) people "poo poo'ed" that notion. This is the flip side of that. More options is more choice, and more chance for strange behavior / strange interactions of features.

This feature should probably default to off (I believe it does normally, actually), but this is "more options = more chance to get things screwy".

It's not the option or its setting that's the problem, it's the underlying flaw in the sloppy untested code.

"Stay connected in drive" should obviously fallback to LTE if the WiFi network is unavailable.
Right. We already have a good model for this in our phones... connect to WiFi and LTE at the same time, but prefer WiFi when available.

The "Stay connected in drive" option should go away and it should *always* stay connected in drive - falling back to LTE.

Tesla reinvents the wheel (literally) sometimes when it's just not necessary.

Just started having this issue - when I'm in my driveway the car is connected to my home wifi and everything is fine. Start playing spotify, drive away. Suddenly now when I get out of my home WIFI range the car is no longer disconnecting from the Wifi and switching to the LTE. So voice commands won't work, obviously Spotify won't play or switch songs. I waited a while but after being over 5km from my house I still had no connectivity. The only thing that worked was turning off my Wifi, then turning it back on. It of course couldn't find my home network so went to LTE.

I've had the car for over a month now and this really just started happening since probably the last update. M3LR is version 2022.28.1 currently.
Anybody else have this issue?
I hate to start a rumor, but it seemed to me that I had better wifi connectivity during the initial 30-day period when I got my model 3. After is expired, I realized I wanted it. So I now have premium connectivity. However, my WiFi connectivity isn't as good as what I had initially.

A friend of mine suggested there was an issue with the Tesla fleet using Xfinitiywifi, which is not secure. An update may have stopped using xfinitywifi.

It's one of those nagging mysteries.