TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wild Interior

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dan Detweiler, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

• Informative x 1
  2. Adrien

Adrien Member

I wouldn't say that's wild. I have a decent source that says that's not far off from the reality of model 3.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  3. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

I would be totally on board with something like this but I don't see how it could possibly be feasible.

Dan

4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

It look gimmicky to me. Why do you need the arm rest to come up when the steering changes? Don't you always want an arm rest regardless of how the steering operates? Now, if a bed came out, or a hot tub, or a beer fridge, then it would make sense.

• Like x 3
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Nice Dan, Don't get discouraged when you get a barrage of naysayers in this forum. They absolutely love to disagree with people and put down ideas.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Too many moving parts. Impractical to manufacture, lots of bits which could break. The future is solid-state... I expect Tesla's design will have as few moving parts as they can get away with.

7. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Please tell me there's an option to get rid of the center display?

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

No, the comments that followed took issue with the design and gave specific reasons for doing so. Re-read them and then compare them to your post above that simply put down people. Perhaps you need to take your own advice?

This would be a very boring forum if people only posted to agree with people and say "Nice Dan". I would rather have someone challenge something I post with reasons, than agree with me with no reason. Plus, Dan knows this has nothing to do with him personally. I appreciate the link and his post but the design looks gimmicky to me. My comments were not an attack on Dan, and in fact had nothing to do with Dan (unless he designed the vehicle), whereas your reply was personal and ad hominem in nature.

If they've learned anything from the falcon wing doors on the X they will do as you suggest.

• Like x 1
  9. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

Reminds me of the movie, I,Robot with Will Smith. In the freeway scene where he takes manual control of the vehicle.

10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

WOW,

You are one of them. Ok then....enjoy. I'm glad I learned about that ignore people feature. Consider it used.

• Dislike x 3
  11. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

#11 EXOTIC1, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    • Like x 1
  12. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

That is pretty badass.... however I don't see what it has to do with the Model 3. Again, there is much more to this forum than the Model 3 section.

13. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

14. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Hey, I just threw it out there because I thought it was cool and was obviously created for an autonomous environment, which is the direction Tesla is taking. I realize this will never be seen in the Model 3 but with all the speculation about what the interior will be like I thought these were interesting. Personally I like the BMW version on the right better than the Nissan version on the left.

Dan

15. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Sure, good thing that the model 3 won't be fully autonomous (yes, I am speculating, deal with it [don't mean you Dan]) :p

Hopefully so, I can't see those joystick controls working nicely when parking in tight spaces where you need to go backwards and forwards in small steps. But hey, they can prove me wrong.

Have to disagree with you here, but then again, beauty in the eye of the beholder and so on. ;)

16. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Looks like BMW is just copying the Nissan concept which is what nearly a year old?? Nothing to see here.

17. Vitold

Vitold Member

Nissan just invented a better use for the horn.

As to the news that Tesla manager has left -I read it as positive sign that Model 3 is nearly complete...or that he did not get along with Milan Kovac.

18. eisbock

eisbock Member

Everybody is talking about the moving parts, but I certainly hope those handles aren't on the 3. There needs to be a steering wheel.

There are a ton of different hand positions with a wheel. Not so much with this design.

I personally like to drive with my left hand on top of the wheel and I know I'm not alone. This is what's comfortable for me and I can't do this without a wheel. This design restricts freedom and limits users to only a couple ways to steer which some may find uncomfortable. Oh man oh man I really hope this isn't the "spaceship" design Elon was talking about...

• Like x 4
  19. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

I
    I respectfully disagree. I like the increased knee room and unobstructed view over the top.

Dan

20. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

T-Sportline are sweet! But they cost about as much as the Model 3 ;)