Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a solar roof or panels glare on my neighbors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am concerned about the glare of the roof onto nearby neighbors who are above the roof line of my property...it's going to be a full roof conversion (tile to solar panels)....anyone have any knowledge about my concerns....thanks.

I am concerned about the glare of the roof onto nearby neighbors who are above the roof line of my property...it's going to be a full roof conversion (tile to solar panels)....anyone have any knowledge about my concerns....thanks.

Your title says "roof" and you are asking about the "panels". Which?

Nevertheless, Solar Roof or Solar Panels are pretty dark so I doubt there would be any bright reflection complaints from neighbors.

Both the Tesla SolarRoof and panels can have a lot of glare at the correct angles. Our solarroof will at times act as a nice mirror of the sun and you can pick out our home from a dozen houses away. It can be pretty blinding. As a pilot, I have faced this a few times from the air from solar panels. Usually, the day after it rained when the panels and air are very clean.

Thanks...it's a full solar Tesla roof I am considering...it's all mirror "panels" installed like interlocking Legos.

Lol you have to be the most considerate neighbor I've ever heard. You're actually thinking about the glare you could throw through someone's window? Like... wow so polite. You probably have all electric lawn equipment and never leave your garage door open...

BTW just for reference the tesla solar roof uses "tiles" while normal uggo solar uses "panels". Worth noting if you talk to folks about your system so you don't confuse anybody.

Reactions: BGbreeder

Yeah, I have artificial turf installed, and apparently in sunlight below windows and white walls, the turf could melt as direct and indirect light get focused on it.

But it still takes a special kind of neighbor (I mean that in a good way) to have thought about how their solar roof could possibly harm someone else's house with the reflected light.

Reactions: jboy210
Lol you have to be the most considerate neighbor I've ever heard. You're actually thinking about the glare you could throw through someone's window? Like... wow so polite. You probably have all electric lawn equipment and never leave your garage door open...

BTW just for reference the tesla solar roof uses "tiles" while normal uggo solar uses "panels". Worth noting if you talk to folks about your system so you don't confuse anybody.
Because he doesn't want someone to
1635375021948.png

Aren’t the solar roof tiles textured? If so doesn’t that cut down on reflection as opposed to a solid glass panel?

My next door neighbor’s dual pane low-e glass windows on his second floor act as a laser beam-like light ray when the sun hits them at a particular time of year and hour. We noticed our sego was showing burning in its fronds in a particular strange way. After a while we noticed the concentrated beam of solar energy that was causing it. Over hours followed the concentrated path of light move across our pavers until it hit the sego. Found numerous media stories of people’s windows literally burning or melting neighbors vinyl siding, plants, furniture, grass. I can’t say I’ve seen news stories about anything remotely being damaged from solar panels or roof tiles though.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Aren’t the solar roof tiles textured? If so doesn’t that cut down on reflection as opposed to a solid glass panel?

My next door neighbor’s dual pane low-e glass windows on his second floor act as a laser beam-like light ray when the sun hits them at a particular time of year and hour. We noticed our sego was showing burning in its fronds in a particular strange way. After a while we noticed the concentrated beam of solar energy that was causing it. Over hours followed the concentrated path of light move across our pavers until it hit the sego. Found numerous media stories of people’s windows literally burning or melting neighbors vinyl siding, plants, furniture, grass. I can’t say I’ve seen news stories about anything remotely being damaged from solar panels or roof tiles though.
The tiles are textured slightly. But they are still optically clear so the photons get through. It is just a small solar panel.

The difference between a panel and solar tile and those windows is the reflection is less and I imagine at a subset of wavelengths.

TIL, a sego is a flower.

TIL, a sego is a flower.
Oh crap, typo in my original post above. Just to clarify, the sago palm (common name) isn’t actually a palm but does have a trunk and fronds. It will “flower” periodically. Very ancient plant. Here was reflective solar damage to our sago, actually from our 2nd story double paned low-eglass windows’ concentrated “heat ray”. A roof with solar tiles on it, or even solar panels on a house, would never cause this type of damage though due to the projected angle of light and fact it won’t be a concentrated point of light. Aside from light reflection coming into someone’s 2nd/3rd story windows, can’t imagine any damage.
20DDB235-EECE-4DED-B55D-35C56F6FD5A9.jpeg

While we don’t yet have any solar roofs in our neighborhood, lots of homes with some extensive solar panel arrays and never heard of anyone having a light reflection issue from them at their house next door.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGbreeder

Similar situation here, different slope elevations around the neighborhood in the hills...there is some mild glare from Tesla solar roof at times, but really not that significant with the texturing of the tiles and less than would be for flat solar panels in the same location.
Would not worry :cool: