Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will EU Super Charger surpass the US briefly ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger Openings so far in November: 19 in Europe, 9 in Asia, and 8 in North America for a total of 36 world-wide. November is already a record breaking month for openings with several days to go.

I love seeing Superchargers opening everywhere, but would just like to see a few more in North America...

One issue is that in many cases (at least in the UK), Planning Permission (our equivalent of your permits) isn't required for installation of superchargers - so there's nothing to scout for until hardware appears on site.

I've found the planning application for one site in the UK that did need planning permission, which includes the text:

"Permitted Development" is what you are allowed to do without applying for permission. So they are saying that normally adding Supercharging to an existing carpark would not need permission, it's only needed here because it's a green-field site and the developer hasn't got round to building any parking for the offices that are due to be built on the site later.

Almost all the other UK Superchargers have been on existing parking spaces, so would not have needed permission. This particular site we didn't find until construction started, partly because the Tesla map suggested that the site for this route would be close to the Channel ports - in fact, this site is half way to London (a long way away from the blob on the map) and will require another one on the other side of the Channel to complete the route into France.

Interesting post. It's nice to know the different procedures. I thought it was of a lack of interest that we didn't get to see for example UK and French super chargers before they were open.

I continue to be confounded as to how this can be possible. Europe does not have nearly the same population of Tesla's as NA. NA also has much more land area to cover. Totally. Don't. Get. It.
Europe is far more uniformly populated.
No 1000Km gap of desert here and there.
Plus I don't think this pace will hold. Europe SCs are catching up to USA. Let's talk about this when Europe gets another 50 operational SCs. By then they will be nearly done in Europe, the pace will draw down, and the pace in North America will continue. That will confirm the problem in North America is regulatory burden or not enough reliable contractors to get the job done.
There isn't an intentional master plan of slowing down SCs construction in USA and speeding it up in Europe. Its just that the European system makes it easier to build SCs.
Go complain with your disfunctional political system. Go complain against those that defend the federal system with each state free to create its own island of regulatory insanity. The fault isn't Tesla.

Go complain with your disfunctional political system. Go complain against those that defend the federal system with each state free to create its own island of regulatory insanity. The fault isn't Tesla.

Actually, many countries in Europe have a history of stricter regulation than in the US. The existence of cap and trade, renewable energy quotas, and tighter controls of large corporations all demonstrate this point. Not saying that any of it is bad, but you can't neglect these facts. See what's happening to Google? That's in Europe, not the US.

I continue to be confounded as to how this can be possible. Europe does not have nearly the same population of Tesla's as NA. NA also has much more land area to cover. Totally. Don't. Get. It.

If a lever of demand is Superchargers, then adding 50 Superchargers in EU will have a much greater effect than 50 in the U.S.

For example, you could add 50 Superchargers to Alaska, but wouldn't sell many more cars.

If you add 50 Superchargers in Germany, you'll provide 50 mile density, allowing for 100+mph driving on the Autobahn.

Land Area EU 3,800,000 sq miles
Population EU 500,000,000

Land Area US 3,800,000 sq miles
Population US 300,000,000

Repeat with China.

Actually, many countries in Europe have a history of stricter regulation than in the US. The existence of cap and trade, renewable energy quotas, and tighter controls of large corporations all demonstrate this point. Not saying that any of it is bad, but you can't neglect these facts. See what's happening to Google? That's in Europe, not the US.
As long as those rules are clear, uniform, require learning them only once, no permission to create unwritten hurdles, I'm sure they could still do it easier than the USA system.
There is a big problem with the Tea Party / Libertarian stance that govt can't do anything right. You can have detailed yet clear rules. This isn't a compliment to Europe. The current EU / National / State / Municipal system is worrisome. But somehow the system is working in Europe. In time we'll see. I don't think Elon gain anything by lambasting the USA as difficult to deploy superchargers. Or singling out some states. I don't have specific logical data to state my case, except for gut feeling. This isn't a statement of fact in my part but really a bet.

This isn't a statement of fact
You've got that right. The govt. has expressly defined functions (or at least it once did) but has since grown out of proportion into a behemoth with untold waste and excessive misuse of funds. The trend is worrisome. Way to turn this into a political discussion! I doubt any of this has much to do with the pace of rollout in the respective regions. Relative sales impact seems to be playing a much greater role.

Update including November 25th, 2014:

North America
2012: 0 + 0 + 2 + 7 = 9
2013: 0 + 2 + 11 + 28 = 41
2014: 32 + 16 + 19 + 16 = 83
Total: 9 + 41 + 83 = 133

Europe
2013: 0 + 0 + 6 + 8 = 14
2014: 0 + 10 + 46 + 33 = 89
Total: 14 + 89 = 103

Asia
2014: 0 + 3 + 16 + 19 = 38

Global total: 133 + 103 + 38 = 274

2014 total so far: 83 + 89 + 38 = 210

Q1 2014 total: 32 + 0 + 0 = 32
Q2 2014 total: 16 + 10 + 3 = 29
Q3 2014 total: 19 + 46 + 16 = 81
Q4 2014 so far: 16 + 33 + 19 = 68

First half of 2014: 32 + 29 = 61
Second half of 2014 (so far a total of 148 days): 81 + 68 = 149
Remaining days in second half of 2014: 36

149 new live Supercharger stations in 148 days, that's even more than 1 new live Supercharger station per day, that's extraordinary!!!

Last edited:
November is already a record breaking month world-wide with 37 Superchargers in 25.5 days for 1.45 Superchargers per day! Almost one and a half a day!!!

With the Thanksgiving Holidays, I don't think we will see many more openings in the U.S. this month, but there are many almost ready to open, that should open in December.

Happy Thanksgiving!