Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will factory reset get me out of the “beta” group?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own FSD outright on my car. I pushed the beta button way back in the day and have been getting the latest FSD betas. I don’t want to be on this track anymore and would prefer to just get the main updates.

I’ve tried emailing fsdbeta and earlyaccess and heard nothing back.

I’ve tried calling Tesla support and they say they don’t know how I can switch versions (the rep sounded really clueless).

At this point I don’t know what else to do. I could try calling my SC I guess? I opened a ticket in the app stating I wanted to leave the beta branch and have heard nothing from them.

My last idea is to factory reset the car and hope that does something?

Has anyone ever successfully gotten out of this situation? It’s insanely frustrating that Tesla doesn’t make it easy. Thanks for any guidance.

If you find a resolution, please let us know. I am in the same exact situation. I have been emailing Tesla and trying to do this for more than 2 years at this point, without success.

I dont know know for a fact, but I dont think factory resetting the car would do anything because It seems like what version of software is for your car would be assigned by vin, just like features. If you find something different, please let us know.

Factory reset won’t help, since that just resets your local settings. If there is still a beta track, it’s managed by Tesla, not in your car. I’ve read recent posts speculating that Tesla is still using a beta track, but I haven’t seen any evidence to support this, other than the fact that some people on 2024.3.25 haven’t been upgraded yet. Tesla’s update strategy has always been opaque, so no one really knows how they decide which cars get which build.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@EVRider-FL if I was a betting man, I'd say that we're still being kept in a separate group, and that's the group that supposedly is going to get FSD 12.4.1 "soon" according to Elon. When there was leaks of folks with 12.4 it showed it was still based on the older branch of software.

The service center was not able to help me just now. They wrote back and told me to just "opt out" of the self driving in the car. After some confusion they explained they are telling me to click "No" on the screen that asks if I accept terms to enable FSD. I asked if that means I'll get newer updates and they weren't sure. They said I could try also going to "Standard" instead of Advanced software updates and see if that does it. They really did not seem to know what they're talking about. They also stated service centers have no ability to "revert" any software updates at all. I told them I'm not trying to revert. Just all around frustrating that no one seems to know how to get our cars out of this special group. I've brought it up on X and Reddit too, and Tesla fans just dogpile on me and say "you're getting the best self-driving software and you're complaining??" - yes, I can complain. It's my car, and I didn't realize that pushing a button to opt-in to beta testing has forever stuck me here.

I guess I can try keeping the tab on "Standard" updates and see after my 24-hour check today if I get anything. I seriously doubt it, since no one online (nor at Tesla it seems) even knows what the Standard vs Advanced does.

I wonder if you transferred the car to a different account, as if you sold it, if that would clear it from the beta group assignment. Then you could just transfer it back.

Of course, if you had non-transferrable FUSC you wouldn't want to even think about trying that.

I guess I can try keeping the tab on "Standard" updates and see after my 24-hour check today if I get anything. I seriously doubt it, since no one online (nor at Tesla it seems) even knows what the Standard vs Advanced does.
That isn’t going to do anything for you, and the Service Center you dealt with sounds clueless. You might be right about being in a separate group, but it doesn’t sound like there’s any way to get out of it if you purchased FSD, as you (and I) did. Subscribers can temporarily cancel their subscription to get around this.

If there is still a beta track, it’s managed by Tesla, not in your car. I’ve read recent posts speculating that Tesla is still using a beta track, but I haven’t seen any evidence to support this, other than the fact that some people on 2024.3.25 haven’t been upgraded yet.

IMO, there's definitely a "beta" track. I guess "beta" is the wrong term since it's been renamed to "FSD (Supervised)", but there's definitely a separate track.

As you call out there's a bunch of us on 2024.3.25 - 25% of the whole fleet on Teslafi actually - and it wouldn't make any sense to hold back these cars except to keep the compatible with the next FSD release.

1717707852878.png

And the same thing happened with the holiday release.

Not a Tesla App reports that 2024.15.5 will have both FSD v12.4.1 and the new v12 UI, so this may become a moot point

It might. Just because the latest FSD release includes the latest base release one time doesn't mean they've fundamentally removed that constraint and can easily keep FSD releases on the latest base release.

I mean, it might mean that (fingers crossed!!) but I'm not expecting it.

Tesla seems to treat weeks that are closer to current as a canary build. It's an early buggy build with the newest features. Like other software companies these typically don't make it outside the company to end users until there is a high level of confidence in the build. I think .20 will be a while before we could see it. .15 is a nice middle ground to pull all the FSD users into the v12 UI software. Here's hoping it gets good feedback internally.

Good point. Which version of FSD is in 2024.20.x? Even so, letting everyone get UI v12 is a big step (whether or not you like the changes).
12.3.X.

It looks like they are starting to migrate the "non-beta" track to .20 to allow the beta track hit the new .15

Not sure how you look at the history of FSD and think "there's no evidence of a Beta track". The large group of beta testers, along with some new people, are always held back and then get the new Beta release. It's always been that way and still has with V12. Sure, it could end at any time, but I guess you just think it's a coincidence that the testing group is exclusively held from .14?

Reactions: gsmith123
Not sure how you look at the history of FSD and think "there's no evidence of a Beta track". The large group of beta testers, along with some new people, are always held back and then get the new Beta release. It's always been that way and still has with V12. Sure, it could end at any time, but I guess you just think it's a coincidence that the testing group is exclusively held from .14?
What’s the distinction between “beta testers” and others? Is anyone who opted in, back when Tesla did it that way, considered a beta tester?

I don’t remember when Tesla removed the opt-in feature. I first opted in on our 2018 MS and 2018 M3, when the safety score was still used. I replaced the MS with a 2023 model about a year ago, but did not purchase FSD (I did purchase EAP). I subscribed to FSD for a couple of months last year, but don’t remember having to opt in again for the beta . I got the FSD trial earlier this year, then purchased FSD when the price dropped recently. I also replaced the M3 last fall with a 2023 MY, and transferred FSD from the M3. Both of the 2023 cars are still on 2024.3.25.

It's basically anybody stuck on 2024.3.25 at this point. I believe that's cars with FSD purchased outright and active subscriptions.
Are there people on 2024.3.25 that never asked for "Early Access"? I thought everyone else got FSD 12 via the"Main Branch".

I also agree that the Standard vs Advanced switch doesn't actually do anything (even though it should). With all the cuts I'm not even sure the early access email is monitored anymore. 😢

It's basically anybody stuck on 2024.3.25 at this point. I believe that's cars with FSD purchased outright and active subscriptions.
That would be a lot of cars. TeslaFi shows 25% of the worldwide fleet on 3.25 but only US/Can had 3.25 so that % is actually lower than reality of the US/Can fleet. Looking at an approximation for the US/Can fleet there are still 38% on 3.25 which seems more than the % of FSD owners/subscribers? Do we know what % of cars have FSD?

Are there people on 2024.3.25 that never asked for "Early Access"? I thought everyone else got FSD 12 via the"Main Branch".

I also agree that the Standard vs Advanced switch doesn't actually do anything (even though it should). With all the cuts I'm not even sure the early access email is monitored anymore. 😢
My friend is still on 3.25. He got the free trial back in April and has been off the trial since early May. He has not purchased or subscribed to FSD and never plans to. Based on TeslaFi sample data there is ~38% of the US/Can fleet still on 3.25. I can't believe that there is that high a % of FSD owners/subscribers.

My friend is still on 3.25. He got the free trial back in April and has been off the trial since early May. He has not purchased or subscribed to FSD and never plans to. Based on TeslaFi sample data there is ~38% of the US/Can fleet still on 3.25. I can't believe that there is that high a % of FSD owners/subscribers.
Yeah that is weird. Sadly Tesla will never say what the take rate is for FSD.