Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I be able to reserve a Model 3 if I'm not 18 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it, since minors generally can't sign contacts.

Check to see if your state allows used car sales from parents to children without sales tax. If so, you could then have them reserve. If you can't get Tesla to agree to transfer the reservation (this is one case that might make sense), your parents could take delivery and sell it you.

You'd lose the income tax credit in a resale (cars purchased for resale can't get the tax credit), but at 19-20 years old, you probably wouldn't have enough income to claim much of a credit, anyway.

I doubt any Tesla employee would verify your age at the time you place your reservation (you may want to sign up for a MyTesla account ahead of time). While the contract might not be legally binding since you'd be under 18 at the time it's executed, I doubt that it would be an issue since most likely the transaction will occur without anyone challenging the contract. You'll be over 18 at the time you place your order and certainly when you take delivery.

If it were me, I'd move forward and not mention it to Tesla.

Reactions: Arpe and JimmyAZ
I think HeavyLee makes a great point! Normally, I'd say you can't enter into a legally binding contract, but if you have $1000 ready at the time of order I doubt anyone would scrutize down to your age. Do you have a credit card or checking account? I think that's all that's necessary until you take delivery. You'll definitely be 18 by the time you take delivery.

And can I just say how jealous (or stoked) for you I am? You're so young and one of your first cars will be a Tesla!! That's so cool.