TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will I be able to reserve a Model 3 if I'm not 18 yet?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by x_ray, Mar 30, 2016.

1. x_ray

x_ray Member

I would figure they would be taking reservations from whoever is willing to pay but I don't turn 18 for another month.

2. tga

tga Active Member

I doubt it, since minors generally can't sign contacts.

Check to see if your state allows used car sales from parents to children without sales tax. If so, you could then have them reserve. If you can't get Tesla to agree to transfer the reservation (this is one case that might make sense), your parents could take delivery and sell it you.

You'd lose the income tax credit in a resale (cars purchased for resale can't get the tax credit), but at 19-20 years old, you probably wouldn't have enough income to claim much of a credit, anyway.

3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I doubt any Tesla employee would verify your age at the time you place your reservation (you may want to sign up for a MyTesla account ahead of time). While the contract might not be legally binding since you'd be under 18 at the time it's executed, I doubt that it would be an issue since most likely the transaction will occur without anyone challenging the contract. You'll be over 18 at the time you place your order and certainly when you take delivery.

If it were me, I'd move forward and not mention it to Tesla.

• Like x 1
  4. Tree95

Tree95 Member

Wow, a good, original question I haven't seen before.

I'd whip out the card, let them swipe it, and move on.

5. tga

tga Active Member

Does a 17 year old have a credit card in there name? That might be another issue. But HeavyLee's suggestion of begging forgiveness vs asking permission might not be a bad idea.

6. jbabb

jbabb Member

As long as you have a credit card, you will be fine making a reservation on line. They don't ask for a copy of your drivers license until after you configure the car and are close to delivery.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Agree with the posts above. A reservation agreement specifies that either party can cancel for any reason and that the deposit is fully refundable. Really not much of a contract :).

8. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

I think HeavyLee makes a great point! Normally, I'd say you can't enter into a legally binding contract, but if you have $1000 ready at the time of order I doubt anyone would scrutize down to your age. Do you have a credit card or checking account? I think that's all that's necessary until you take delivery. You'll definitely be 18 by the time you take delivery.

And can I just say how jealous (or stoked) for you I am? You're so young and one of your first cars will be a Tesla!! That's so cool.