Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will i be missing out on Enhanced Autopilot or FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a new Y and trying to determine if I want EA, FSD, or neither.
I'm hopeful FSD will become a real thing soon but who knows if it's actually years away...
Will I be kicking myself if I don't just get it today vs waiting.
Maybe skip FSD but get EA now, any reason EA is well worth the price now vs future FSD savings? Assuming it'll knock the 6k price off FSD with a future upgrade.
If I do wait is it only offered as a subscription or could I still pay the full 15k+ price up front when I decide to purchase it

Thanks for the info!

You can still choose to pay the full price rather than a subscription down the road, though that price may change at any point (and in either direction). My understanding is that if you do buy the EAP for $6000 now, that reduces the subscription price to $100 a month rather than $200, so that may be a good compromise if you do decide to try the subscription in the future as well.

Will I be kicking myself if I don't just get it today vs waiting.
Maybe skip FSD but get EA now, any reason EA is well worth the price now vs future FSD savings?

Or you might be kicking yourself if you buy today and decide it’s not for you, missing too many bits of functionality on non USS cars.

Prices are pretty stable so likely to be no price disadvantage of giving basic AP a try, seeing how you get on, then making the decision then once you have a bit of hands on experience.

Certainly a very high proportion of polled users here in UK who were given a free trial of EAP didn’t bother to buy and it even put off some that were thinking of buying. Caveat in UK/Europe, EAP does not allow unconfirmed lane changes so slightly more limited to US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie
I would suggest you do not buy EAP or FSD until you have tried them out, so the subscription is the best way to start. And as noted previously you can always buy them later. But consider that FSD is $15,000 or $199 / month. Your breakeven is 75-months (6+ years). And EAP is $6,000 or $99 / month, which is a break even of 60-months.

Also, make very sure you understand what EAP and FSD offer so you understand what each brings to the car.

You should try it out first and then determine how much you will actually use it. I use FSD all the time mostly to keep the high safety score / lowest premium for Tesla insurance, but not really I found it something I cannot live without.

I have recently advised three of my friends that recently bought Teslas on this topic, and I advised against even getting EAP.

I just really think we are a long ways off from true FSD, and for the foreseeable future, it's really as if FSD increases the driving workload. I could be wrong, and Elon could be right that by the end of the year we'll all be driving around autonomously, but I don't think his track record on this is exactly stellar.

Note: I bought EAP with my car in 2018, and upgraded to FSD for $2K when it went on a fire sale, so I do have (and use) both. I do find the the ability to have the car change lanes for me to be a great feature. Having to re-engage AP after a manual lane change on the highway really seems to defeat the purpose of AP (my wife's old ID.4 would automatically re-acquire the lane after a lane change--I think anyway--I never figured that system out completely). Anyway, that's the one feature of EAP that I think is worthwhile (NoA is okay, but frankly I turned it off anyway due to excessive lane changes). The question is: is it worth $6K to be able to have the car change lanes for you? That's the way I would think of it.

I concur with others on the thread: unless you are trying to roll the value of EAP/FSD into your car loan, try a subscription to see if it's really useful to you and worth the additional cost. If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

One more data point, that's only anecdotal, but I think I heard that the price premium on used cars with FSD vs. those without, is only about $2-3K, so that ought to give you an idea of the "worth" of the feature. In other words, definitely not worth what Tesla is charging for it. It is true that as FSD improves, so does that value, but given that we really don't know whether that improvement is going to happen in 1 year or 10, I just wouldn't call it a good bet at this time.

Really appreciate the insights this morning!
After watching a bunch of videos over the years and know my driving style I'd prob prefer at least EAP or FSD esp if I could get Beta.

However with knowing how my wife wants to drive this one might be for her mainly and she wouldn't use those till they were solid functions

I have also considered getting a used X(for me but also a cybertruck reservation holder) that has FSD as I have seen the FSD value add in those vehicles doesnt affect the price much compared to those w/o

Really tough to beat the price of a new Y Performance with the $7500 tax credit vs a used vehicle not getting that

Firstly, the whole Beta thing is over. While Tesla still calls it FSD beta, if you buy it you get it.

As I mentioned earlier, you really need to understand what EAP and FSD add:

Comes with the car
  • Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)
  • Autopilot (AP) - this keeps your car in the lane. If you come up on a slower car TACC will slow the car and you have to disengage AP to change lanes
EAP - $6,000 (everything above plus)
  • Auto Lane Change - when you come up on a car you can use your turn signal and the car will then change lanes, no need to disengage AP
  • Autopark - works but I have found it to be too slow, so I never use it
  • Summons & Smart Summons - pretty cool that you can back-up the car and pull it forward remotely. but the only time I use this is on trash day to get the car out of the way. You can also summons your car to come to you, but having my car come to me in parking lot is something I never do.
  • Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) - This is limited to highways and major thoroughfares. If you put in a destination the car will maintain the lane, change lanes as needed, exit the highway and merge onto the next highway. In my view that is does not work very well in traffic.
FSD - $15,000 (everything above plus)
  • FSD extends navigating to city streets
I think I got it right. I am sure others will correct me if I missed something.

Good luck on your purchase

My wife’s Model 3 and my previous Model S had FSD (and the Beta), but I purchased EAP in my new Model S. I like the extra driver assistance features of EAP, but don’t think FSD is worth buying. I’ll subscribe when I want it, and even if I subscribed for as long as I’m likely to own the car, it would still cost less than buying.

Regarding what you see on videos: this subject came up in another thread. The OP was very disappointed with their experience with FSD versus what he saw in videos. Discussion ensued. The consensus was that the videos tend to highlight the positive aspects of FSD and gloss over the negative ones. This is probably due to the content creators wanting to attract viewers, and showing FSD successes is better viewing than watching a whole bunch of disengagements and annoying driving behavior. Plus, the early batch of video creators were somewhat hand selected by Tesla and I'm sure they didn't want to piss off the golden goose and lose access.

Net: don't necessarily believe what you see in the videos is going to match your everyday experience. I've had FSD since Nov '21 and I've certainly seen it improve. But IMO the improvements have been very incremental. In particular, while it handles certain situations better than it ever did (and these improvements are what the video creators tend to focus on), it still really doesn't handle certain simple things well. It's so hesitant to the point of having to disengage to avoid pissing off other drivers when there are many other cars around. So I tend to just not use it if there is any amount of traffic. I tend to use it more in very light traffic. And I am 100% not allowed to use it when my wife is in the car! :)

I have a similar experience. I bought my Model 3 in October of 2018 and paid for EAP ( I don't recall how much it was but I don't think it was in the $6K range. I never use autopark. I would occasionally move the car back and forth with summon but not very often. I have tried out Smart Summons several times, and in anything other than a virtually empty parking lot, I wouldn't (and don't) use it, and even then I rarely if I ever find it useful.

NOA works relatively well although I find it often will move all the way over into the right lane even if the exit is 2 + km away so I will often turn it off. Being able to change lanes by simply turning off the flicker is fantastic, (although my Lexus NX350H does the same thing) and not always, but often NOA will change lanes on its own to avoid slower traffic in front and will then move out of the fast lane back into the middle lane. (In my view this is the best feature.)

I love having it, but I have been thinking about upgrading my 2018 Model 3 for a new Y, and while the thought of having to engage and re-engage AP every time you change lanes seems like a royal pain, I might be very hard pressed to pay $6K ($7,800 in Canada!) for that feature. I don't think I would do it.

Reactions: RTPEV
Firstly, the whole Beta thing is over. While Tesla still calls it FSD beta, if you buy it you get it.
This is partially incorrect.

Tesla just let in the first batch of testers a few weeks ago after a few months of not letting anyone in due to the recall. While I understand that is Tesla's goal, it's not firm and can change at any point.

Cars that are delivered with too high of firmware version still won't get Beta as well. That will always be a factor.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I have FSD, it’s great on the freeway and streets without much traffic. Luckily I got it on a used tesla M3. I wouldn’t pay 15k for it. If I got a new Tesla I’d pay the 200 a month when I want to try it out on a long road trip or something like that. As other’s have said $200 a month is 6 years until $15000.

Regarding what you see on videos: this subject came up in another thread. The OP was very disappointed with their experience with FSD versus what he saw in videos. Discussion ensued. The consensus was that the videos tend to highlight the positive aspects of FSD and gloss over the negative ones. This is probably due to the content creators wanting to attract viewers, and showing FSD successes is better viewing than watching a whole bunch of disengagements and annoying driving behavior. Plus, the early batch of video creators were somewhat hand selected by Tesla and I'm sure they didn't want to piss off the golden goose and lose access.

Net: don't necessarily believe what you see in the videos is going to match your everyday experience. I've had FSD since Nov '21 and I've certainly seen it improve. But IMO the improvements have been very incremental. In particular, while it handles certain situations better than it ever did (and these improvements are what the video creators tend to focus on), it still really doesn't handle certain simple things well. It's so hesitant to the point of having to disengage to avoid pissing off other drivers when there are many other cars around. So I tend to just not use it if there is any amount of traffic. I tend to use it more in very light traffic. And I am 100% not allowed to use it when my wife is in the car! :)
Yet another aspect is being in the car with FSD is a much different feeling than simply watching it in a video. There is definitely an anxiety factor that rarely comes across in videos. Also, video creators may be more willing to let the car do its thing before taking over. For me, I take over right away to prevent annoying another driver.

I tried smart summon a couple times and while it worked fine, I no longer use it because I just don’t need to do it. Risk vs reward.

I find that the YT channel AIDRVR is good.

I paid 5k for all of TACC/AP/EAP/FSD during the fire sale in 2019 and for that price, I think the current functionality is worth it. I try not to buy products based on future expectations.

Last edited:
  • FSDb subscription is $200/mo
  • FSDb purchase is $15k
  • You will need to drive the car more than 6 years before you start saving money by paying the $15k up front
  • Also, if you don't like it or budget issues come up, you can cancel/restart the subscription anytime
I my situation, unless there is a substantial subscription increase coming up, it doesn't make sense to purchase

Btw... Hard to go back to not having FSDb

"Beta" does not mean "exclusive club". It means "beta test program". Until that testing program is finished, the whole beta thing continues as before. If a tester abuses the system, it can be removed from their car because nobody can own beta software.

"Beta" does not mean "exclusive club". It means "beta test program". Until that testing program is finished, the whole beta thing continues as before. If a tester abuses the system, it can be removed from their car because nobody can own beta software.
The whole Tesla “beta” is used pretty loosely. I think it still says auto wipers beta. Makes sense since it still isn’t as good as a dedicated rain sensor.

Reactions: GalacticHero