Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
I have a MS 100D 2018 with MCU2/HW3. I am going to really be disappointed if they don't push FSD 12 to these cars. Remember when Tesla charged us $2500+ dollars to upgrade our MCU1 to the MCU2 so we could get full benefit of FSD??? If it's the damn selfie camera that is holding it up they really need to come up with a update/upgrade. These cars funded a big portion because we paid for FSD and drove around for years on this vaperware.

Upvote 0
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

The cabin cam stuff is speculation.

Tesla isn’t silent - Rohan Patel (Tesla business development exec) specifically called out this situation as one that’s being worked.

Patience. It’s not easy I know - and I’m in the same boat BTW - but they ARE working on it and HAVE communicated as such.

Upvote 0
Personally I don't believe a word of it. It's not like they have ANY track record of truthful or ethical behavior. But we'll see.

Personally, I find “ha ha screw you, we’re just never going to update your software again” to be the least likely outcome here.

By a wide margin.

Upvote 0
I guess we will all just have to go grab a plaid. Shucks
That would be entirely unsatisfying after already paying for FSD. To buy a newer S to get the newest beta software after being left in the dust by Tesla after my initial good faith purchase would be a slap in the face. I agree with one of the prior posts. If they now realize they can't equip legacy S/X after taking our money for it, they should make things right by at least offering a generous discount on trade-in. Providing a full refund at this point would be letting them off easy, IMO. But I'd still take it.

Upvote 0
"-3% of total fsd eligible vehicles.." let's get real it's more like +30% all MX and MS built late 2016 through 2020 aren't eligible

It’s still a small number compared to the 3s/Ys out there. Let’s assume every X/S produced from 2016-2020 is in this category. Average is around 60k/year of S/X. 5 years of S/X sales is still less than 1 quarters’ worth of 3/Y sales.

Now let’s assume FSD take rate on those S/X vehicles is 40%. That’s probably very generous but let’s use it.

We’re talking, maybe, 120k vehicles?

Just dividing that by how many 3s and Ys are on the road, I’ll say 3% of the entire fleet is probably pretty dang close.

Reactions: BradWI and markn455
Upvote 0
So last week, I got an email from Tesla, offering to transfer both FSD and UFSC if I purchase a new in stock Y,X,3 or S by 3/31. My finances (and brain) do not work that fast, so I did not bite. Actually, I did bite a little, and asked them to give me a trade in offer for my 2017 MS. Terribly lowball number killed any further interest for me. Not sure if this offer was done to help Q1 numbers, or to eliminate my car from the V12 pool that may or may not ever happen. Bought FSD 5 years ago. Paid for MCU upgrade. Disappointed now, but waiting patiently.

Reactions: markn455
Upvote 0
It’s still a small number compared to the 3s/Ys out there. Let’s assume every X/S produced from 2016-2020 is in this category. Average is around 60k/year of S/X. 5 years of S/X sales is still less than 1 quarters’ worth of 3/Y sales.

Now let’s assume FSD take rate on those S/X vehicles is 40%. That’s probably very generous but let’s use it.

We’re talking, maybe, 120k vehicles?

Just dividing that by how many 3s and Ys are on the road, I’ll say 3% of the entire fleet is probably pretty dang close.
Yes, it's a small percentage relative to the swarm of 3s and Ys, but that small percentage still amounts to YEARS' worth of cars that are ineligible. It's not the quantity so much as the length of time that the cars were built and sold with the promise of the feature.

Upvote 0
So last week, I got an email from Tesla, offering to transfer both FSD and UFSC if I purchase a new in stock Y,X,3 or S by 3/31. My finances (and brain) do not work that fast, so I did not bite. Actually, I did bite a little, and asked them to give me a trade in offer for my 2017 MS. Terribly lowball number killed any further interest for me. Not sure if this offer was done to help Q1 numbers, or to eliminate my car from the V12 pool that may or may not ever happen. Bought FSD 5 years ago. Paid for MCU upgrade. Disappointed now, but waiting patiently.
I think the offer was more to help their Q1 numbers, which was terrible and they knew it. The only way they can get me to upgrade is significant discount on a new car with the two free transfers. Maybe we will get it if they can't figure out what they are trying to work on...

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a small percentage relative to the swarm of 3s and Ys, but that small percentage still amounts to YEARS' worth of cars that are ineligible. It's not the quantity so much as the length of time that the cars were built and sold with the promise of the feature.

Sure …. But people above called the 3% of eligible cars number “incredibly bullshit” … it is not. It’s fairly accurate. That’s all I was replying to.

I do agree though, it needs to be fixed. I am confident it will be, in fairly short order.

They may be “classic” models but certainly not end of support. Heck, my “classic” X would still be in warranty if I didn’t drive the hell out of it.

V12 is coming for these models … it’s a “when”, not an “if.” Understand the frustration, but no idea why anyone would think it’s just not happening.

Upvote 0
Sure …. But people above called the 3% of eligible cars number “incredibly bullshit” … it is not. It’s fairly accurate. That’s all I was replying to.

I do agree though, it needs to be fixed. I am confident it will be, in fairly short order.

They may be “classic” models but certainly not end of support. Heck, my “classic” X would still be in warranty if I didn’t drive the hell out of it.

V12 is coming for these models … it’s a “when”, not an “if.” Understand the frustration, but no idea why anyone would think it’s just not happening.
I admit your math was correct -- I was only considering models S/X, not including the ubiquitous 3/Y population. Early purchasers of the more expensive models I assume helped fund the way.

Glad you're confident they'll come through. I have very little faith in Telsa's loyalty to its owners.

Upvote 0

Optimism that we are getting it is fine but without a timeframe, it's meaningless. Are we going to wait a year? Are we going to wait until they retrofit 120,000 cars with cabin cameras? I take some encouragement from Rohans tweet, but not much when he says he's not going to speculate about a timeframe. To me that could mean Tesla hasn't even decided what they are going to do and his statement may have been away a way of biding time and avoiding even more negative publicity.

Upvote 0