TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will M3 be released as MY 2017 or 2018?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I have not payed attention to this information if it has been disclosed... With production having just started, are they producing model year 17 or 18 right now? When does Tesla switch to the next model year?

2. Tiger

Tiger Member

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Tesla doesn't do traditional model years. However, the VIN for a given car will reflect the calendar year of its manufacture.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. 0ptions

0ptions Member

I never quite understood the model year nonsense. How was I driving a 2017 vehicle when it was 2016? Vehicles are the only products I can think of that do this.

• Like x 1
  5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

2017. As mentioned by others, Tesla doesn't do traditional model years. Whatever year the car is manufactured in is the "model year".

• Informative x 1
  6. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Magazines and Comic books are often dated weeks or months into the future, so you could be reading a 2018 issue of Spiderman in November or December of 2017.

• Helpful x 1
  7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Then I expect early buyers who take delivery of M3 in 2017 will be rewarded with the worst resale values due to easily being identified as "early production" versions that had a relatively high number of kinks....

• Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

They can call the first cars 2019 models and they'll still be subject to any early production kinks. People will know you have an early edition when you go to sell it later by looking at the VIN. Early adopters always "pay the price" for being early adopters. Your other choice is to defer placing your order until you feel the teething problems have been resolved.

9. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

Geico now has it listed as a 2017 model.

• Informative x 1
  10. EValuatED

EValuatED Member

The gecko has spoken.

• Funny x 1
  11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Are you crazy!? I am taking my M3 ASAP, hopefully this year. I am just bitter about possible resale value ramifications. I will likely drive it for a decade and 200k miles, so resale should not really be a consideration for me ;)

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The VINs we have seen on cars so far have 2017 for the year code.

There is this idiotic turf battle among other car companies to be first with the new model year.
    If you sell your 2017 model next year, people may value it less as "last year's model".
    If you buy an early 2018 car this year, you may avoid some of the year transition depreciation.
    At least that is how I view it - manufacturers tell a small fib to spur end of year sales to the next year model.

Tesla doesn't appear to play that game.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Those two statements are contradictory... but I suppose you're just being facetious (based on your smiley)?

14. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Yes. Contradictory. I am bitter about something that should not really matter. Unexplainable, yet honest.

15. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

It does matter, because you are forced into keeping a car long term, when you might desire to get out of it sooner.

Unfortunately, all cars are depreciating like crazy, with the expensive cars being the most brutal.
    One needs to be more cautious what they buy, as more money is at risk these days.

16. timk225

timk225 Member

Model years are an example of corporate greed and auto makers being allowed to do whatever they want. What other product uses model years? Airplanes? Boats? Refrigerators? Cordless drills?

Model years gradually getting earlier and earlier, to the point where you can drive a 2017 car in August 2016, is just the automakers' sales departments thinking that consumers will think it is a brand new car longer, for more profit for the automaker.

OP - "paid", not "payed".

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

17 and 3/4
    This is no regular car ;-)

18. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

:) that's what I did. Delayed till 3pm when I could've signed up at 8am. Should put me solidly into 2018.

19. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

Maybe a Hogworth car?

• Like x 1
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yes :)

I realized later I should have written "this is no ordinary car" but obviously the extra hint was not needed.