Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LIDAR.
Just kidding :p

I think it's for the same reason they don't have it in the US, it's really hard to do.
Yeah, but like I’ve pointed out before - Mercedes has picked the easiest possible subset of conditions for Level 3 and plain Autopilot has been able to handle those conditions for years. The obstacle is not a technical one.

Yeah, but like I’ve pointed out before - Mercedes has picked the easiest possible subset of conditions for Level 3 and plain Autopilot has been able to handle those conditions for years. The obstacle is not a technical one.
How do you know the reliability of Autopilot in those conditions?
Even detecting all those conditions is a difficult problem.

Maybe Tesla should one up Mercedes and release a 130km/h system?

How do you know the reliability of Autopilot in those conditions?
Even detecting all those conditions is a difficult problem.
Which conditions are you talking about? I'm primarily basing it on my use of autopilot in the last 2 years. Admittedly anecdotal but I've had zero safety interventions using autopilot in over 2 years. This is autopilot as a whole, not just restricting to 30MPH on odd numbered highways with no exits closer than 30 miles, no accidents, no clouds, no children and no giraffes.

US is also much more litigious.
Yes. If I were an automaker I would be very hesitant to roll out anything like this that increases liability. This is part of what I meant when I said the issues were not technical ones.

Reactions: Yelobird
Which conditions are you talking about? I'm primarily basing it on my use of autopilot in the last 2 years. Admittedly anecdotal but I've had zero safety interventions using autopilot in over 2 years. This is autopilot as a whole, not just restricting to 30MPH on odd numbered highways with no exits closer than 30 miles, no accidents, no clouds, no children and no giraffes.

Yes. If I were an automaker I would be very hesitant to roll out anything like this that increases liability. This is part of what I meant when I said the issues were not technical ones.
People don't get this, and I know it's hard to get because almost everybody outside the industry makes the same wrong conclusion. 2 years is a tiny fraction of what you need to be confident in it. You need a whole lifetime. Waymo has done a dozen lifetimes, and on city streets, not just highways and they don't think they are ready for production yet. People drive for an hour with FSD and it does OK and they think it's doing great. They are not. No one human's experiences with the system can reach a conclusion that it works. (Only that it doesn't, if it fails even once in that lifetime.)

Now, Tesla could track large numbers of cars, over a wide variety of conditions, and see that it was needing less than one intervention per 15,000 hours (which is around what people drive in a lifetime.) But you can't do that, only Tesla can.

1. You say the issue is not technical yet the only technical reason to not have a L3 system is reliability and taking liability of any arising issues denotes confidence that your system is reliable to a great degree. And it is a myth that the US is more litigious than Europe.

2. Tesla itself has released features that run into stationary objects, road barriers, parked cars, curbs. So again, it appears there are technical reasons why they will choose every time to not take liability because what they release cause damages.

Reactions: DarkForest
Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like the first one crashed into a Tesla. Mercedes wasn't in automated drive. Maybe the Mercedes driver forcibly merged into the Tesla's occupied lane?
Sounds like they just drove into side of the Tesla. It's weird that they have to report collisions on city streets when they're testing a highway only system. Or collisions when the system isn't even on for that matter (though I guess that's to prevent claiming the system wasn't on to avoid reporting collisions).

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg and kabin
Sounds like they just drove into side of the Tesla. It's weird that they have to report collisions on city streets when they're testing a highway only system. Or collisions when the system isn't even on for that matter (though I guess that's to prevent claiming the system wasn't on to avoid reporting collisions).
I'm looking for the article that says yet another Tesla was involved in a collision, and police are investigating if AP was engaged at the time. 😂

Yeah I would figure all collisions of any kind have to be reported on test vehicles.

I do think MB can make a custom-mapped, highway-only level 3 work in certain areas, which is cool, but kind of a different thing than what tesla's general-purpose AI is trying to get to.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yeah I would figure all collisions of any kind have to be reported on test vehicles.

I do think MB can make a custom-mapped, highway-only level 3 work in certain areas, which is cool, but kind of a different thing than what tesla's general-purpose AI is trying to get to.
Yes, the problem is that they have got the legislation in place to utilise it in certain circumstances. To me that is a problem because I think it’s as far as most European governments will go…and they will consider Tesla FSD Beta a step too far

Yes, the problem is that they have got the legislation in place to utilise it in certain circumstances. To me that is a problem because I think it’s as far as most European governments will go…and they will consider Tesla FSD Beta a step too far
They've already increased the limit to 130km/h so regulations are still ahead of what has been achieved.
It's going to a long time before FSD is out of beta!

Well since you asked..there was this one earlier today in Vancouver from Reddit, but there wasnt enough information to confirm if it was on AP/FSD at the time (despite the large sign painted on the back of the Tesla), so for responsible journalism, I opted to not post this one

View attachment 883373
I didn't see the Mercedes anywhere in this, I was looking for the Mercedes hitting the Tesla.

They've already increased the limit to 130km/h so regulations are still ahead of what has been achieved.
It's going to a long time before FSD is out of beta!

Are you aware of the other limitations? Restricted to only major pre-mapped roads - mostly highways. It's a completely different animal than FSD - it's a cruise control that can do hands-off driving at moderate speeds on the interstate. The end. FSD is trying to solve the vastly harder space of completely-general driving conditions, all roads, everywhere.

Are you aware of the other limitations? Restricted to only major pre-mapped roads - mostly highways. It's a completely different animal than FSD - it's a cruise control that can do hands-off driving at moderate speeds on the interstate. The end. FSD is trying to solve the vastly harder space of completely-general driving conditions, all roads, everywhere.
Yes - this is one of the reasons levels are stupid. Infact the title of this thread is exhibit A.

Reactions: Raurele

To be fair. Highways are the place I want the car driving itself. I don't care about driving in town, but when I've got a 10+ hr drive, it's almost exclusively highway.

I have OpenPilot in my 2017 Prius (it's only level 2) and I can't tell you how wonderful it is on a long drive. No hands, no feet, no nags for hours.
Meanwhile my Tesla nags me every minute or so.

Now I'm not saying openpilot is safer... I'm just saying I'd love me some level 3, even if it were highway only.

Personally, I don't care if my car stops at lights on its own because I like driving... I just don't like the monotony of driving relatively straight for hours on end.

The legislation that Mercedes is getting implicated (Mercedes says jump, German Government asks how high, rest of Europe shouts me too) is for highway traffic jams only...about 30 mph
It's now 130km/h. Mercedes system < legal limit.
Yes, it is extremely limited. I would note that the L2 system is limited to 125mph (50mph faster than Autopilot).

Reactions: daktari and edseloh