Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 be able to tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many 3 series do you see towing, anyways? I've never seen it in my life.

About every other week?

The *perfect* car for Norway would be a Model 3 wagon with AWD and tow hitch.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Reactions: dhanson865
Some of these posts are beginning to border on absurd.

As others have said, how many 3-series or A4's do you see towing anything?

Let's just ask Elon is he will seriously add submarine mode this time, instead of just having it as an easter egg on the display?

How about making it fly and have autonomous "passenger delivery pods" like the intro sequence to the Jetsons?

It is a mid-size luxury sedan. It cannot be all things to all people. Enjoy it for what it is, and do not lament what it is not.

I think there's a 99% chance that the Model 3 won't be rated for towing in the United States. I think there's a 99% chance that hitches and light kits will be sold for the Model 3. If you tow a trailer with a few hundred pounds of wood in it with the proper weight distribution, it will be safe. If you want to tow a pallet of concrete, a boat or a man on a moped with a bunch of scrap metal, it will not be safe.

Reactions: Kensiko
Well, just to stir the pot a bit...

For years, my go-to-the-dump setup was a 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer towed behind first a '93 Saturn SC2, then a 2000 Audi S4 (later my towing needs increased, so I added a truck to the fleet).

I've seen many BMW 3's, Porsche Boxsters and Caymans, etc at the track with a small tire/tool trailers built from the smallest Harbor Freight trailer kit.

• Informative
Well, just to stir the pot a bit...

For years, my go-to-the-dump setup was a 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer towed behind first a '93 Saturn SC2, then a 2000 Audi S4 (later my towing needs increased, so I added a truck to the fleet).

I've seen many BMW 3's, Porsche Boxsters and Caymans, etc at the track with a small tire/tool trailers built from the smallest Harbor Freight trailer kit.

To each their own, I suppose. I would never use a car that expensive as a pickup, but that's just me (and many others, apparently).

Some of these posts are beginning to border on absurd.

Let's just ask Elon is he will seriously add submarine mode this time, instead of just having it as an easter egg on the display?

How about making it fly and have autonomous "passenger delivery pods" like the intro sequence to the Jetsons?

It is a mid-size luxury sedan. It cannot be all things to all people. Enjoy it for what it is, and do not lament what it is not.
It's not absurd to request something you can get on basically *every* competitor. Does every competitor have submarine mode? No? Then please stop ridiculing a legitimate issue.

Checking the biggest car buying site here, it seems that at least 50% of BMW 3-series come equipped with a tow hitch. Same with the Audi A4's. (It might be significantly more than 50%, it's just not easy to sort the hits based on tow hitch.)

Reactions: Haddock
It's not absurd to request something you can get on basically *every* competitor. Does every competitor have submarine mode? No? Then please stop ridiculing a legitimate issue.

Checking the biggest car buying site here, it seems that at least 50% of BMW 3-series come equipped with a tow hitch. Same with the Audi A4's. (It might be significantly more than 50%, it's just not easy to sort the hits based on tow hitch.)

ah, but are you looking at Euro-spec websites?

that's comparing apples and oranges. i'm willing to bet that 50% number you've come by in Europe is significantly less here in the US.

I think there's a 99% chance that the Model 3 won't be rated for towing in the United States. I think there's a 99% chance that hitches and light kits will be sold for the Model 3.
I think you're right about this. Sadly, it's illegal to use third party tow hitches in Europe unless the registration of the car explicitly states that the car can tow X kg. This is something only Tesla can sort out.

Basically, if Tesla doesn't support towing, the Model 3 can't tow in Europe, period.

I think there's a 99% chance that the Model 3 won't be rated for towing in the United States. I think there's a 99% chance that hitches and light kits will be sold for the Model 3. If you tow a trailer with a few hundred pounds of wood in it with the proper weight distribution, it will be safe. If you want to tow a pallet of concrete, a boat or a man on a moped with a bunch of scrap metal, it will not be safe.

That.

I absolutely concur a 250-500 lb "trailer" is likely to be fine - I could haul same behind my bicycle. But while you can't fix stupid, you can...I hope...find yourself shut out of getting an appointment at your Service Center for self-caused problems.
1974-VW-Beetle-Towing-a-Custom-5th-Wheel-Camper.jpg

Model 3 won't be rated to tow; Model 3 will be able to safely tow a small trailer just like most every other car that is sold today.

Sadly, it's illegal to use third party tow hitches in Europe unless the registration of the car explicitly states that the car can tow X kg. This is something only Tesla can sort out.

Basically, if Tesla doesn't support towing, the Model 3 can't tow in Europe, period.
(my highlighting)

I don't much care if there is a towing option. My Sprinter van can tow 2 tonnes, I've got the package and in 12 years I've never towed anything. I had planned on pulling a trailer with my motorcycle, but a shoulder injury forced me to give up riding.

The Model 3 will be my wife's commuter and zipping around town car. She currently has a Kia Spectra5, I hope the Model 3 has a similar form factor.

People writing that they don't think the Model 3 should be able to tow because they don't personally need it, that makes little sense to me. Great for you, but over here most people don't have a truck.

I'll be out on the 31st reserving a Model 3, but if it can't tow in Europe I'll cancel when the time comes. I don't much care how low the weight rating is, even 1103lb (500kg) would be fine, but I want an accessory hitch and I want to be able to tow a small trailer. When I transport dirty and awkwardly shaped things they are not going inside my car.

Like in Norway, almost every second car here has a hitch, and 3rd party solutions are illegal. It is only extremely small cars (Fiat 500 and below) or luxury cars (Mercedes S-class or above) that are not allowed to tow.

Oh, and every electric car ever, apart from the X can't tow. :-(

Seriously, I'll have to buy a Golf GTE if Tesla can't make this possible.

• Informative