Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model S be your only car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now we're a two car family, and due to busy seasons in work it may need to stay that way. Once we get the Model S and see how my whole family fits inside and everything, we may try to reduce to one car. We don't take a road trip longer than 400 km round-trip more than once per year, if that, so it may be better to rent for that odd occasion.

IF Tesla builds out a good Supercharger network AND/OR supports CHAdeMO, we will get rid of the almost-never-used-ICE and one of the old BEVs. Then we'll be a two-Tesla family.

But if the Model S can't use DC fast-charge infrastructure, we'll just keep what we have: two BEVs (Roadster and RAV4) and a PHEV Prius for those rare trips.

ICE as second car to get beat up.
The farthest I travel per day is about 100 miles, 300 mile battery pack sufficient.
I'm not hauling fertilizer or mulch for my garden in the Model S, or when it snows, getting sandblasted by the salt trucks, or hit by shopping carts (people in NJ are inconsiderate when it comes to putting the shopping carts in the corrals- pet peeve of mine)

This Model S that I've been obsessing over will be replacing my uninspiring ICE vehicle. I think to repay me for harping incessantly on the Model S, my wife seems to have been taking a perverse pleasure in threatening to replace her American ICE vehicle with a foreign ICE vehicle. Fortunately she's not in a hurry so I may have some time to attempt to steer her to a more socially redeeming vehicle. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
We'll try. We "cut the cable" on cable TV and now only have DSL internet and have figured out how to do it. I don't need a car to get to work so it's reasonable.

It would be such a dream come true to not depend on oil for transportation that we have to try. If not for my kids to say "Hey dad, what's that?" when pointing to a gas station. But I'm optimistic that we will only really be giving up money in the short term to realize this dream due to our driving habits and expectations for charging on trips is not nearly as high as others. Long term we'll be saving money (+8 years I'm expecting).

We have 2 (ICE) cars at the moment, and are planning to get rid of both of them. We calculated that for the 3/4 long road trips we need to do each year, and considering the very high taxes here in NL on vehicles (EVs are exempted), it will be better for us to rent one when needed. I think it is a good workaround until the charging infra will be dense enough in Europe.

Replacing single ICE with EV. No ICE planned to have as a backup - way too expensive. Model S range is sufficient for all daily driving and the occasional visit to other people. Beyond that, driving long distances with 3 little kids has proven to be not worth any target. We'll take the train, go by plane, or get friends with car shuttle trains. Emergency fallback is to swap cars with neighbor or rent an ICE.

The Model S (85kWh) will be our long distance car. We will surely keep the Leaf also, since we need two cars and the Model S is a bit on the large side for doing local errands. And I couldn't bear to part with the Leaf, it's a brilliant car IMO.

But if the Model S can't fast charge (either via CHAdeMO or Tesla superchargers (which I doubt they will install many of in Norway)) I won't be getting one at all.

I'll confess to being a Luddite; the Model S will, at least initially, be an addition to our 2 ICE vehicles. My son gets his permit in 65 days (but who's counting?), and so he may get my aging A3 when the Model S arrives. My wife and I each need a car, so she'll keep her BMW 5 until things change.