Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Porsche Mission E be the right vehicle for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrify America’s schedule calls for 50+ highway charging locations in California by late 2019 with between 4 and 10 charging stalls at each locations. All stalls will be 150 kW capable and about half will also be 350 kW capable.

Outside of California, they plan to build 150 highway charging locations by mid-2019 but with no specific promises for 350 kW charging. Another 90-100 locations would be in development by mid-2019 and likely completed in the next year or so.
View attachment 276858

That's a long time and you never know if they will actually make it happen. BMW, VW, and Chargepoint had similar plans to install CCS on the east and west coast in 2015, but I don't think that ever got completed. I would get a Model S now and trade it for a Mission E when it comes out, but we tend to get a new cars often.

That's a long time and you never know if they will actually make it happen. BMW, VW, and Chargepoint had similar plans to install CCS on the east and west coast in 2015, but I don't think that ever got completed. I would get a Model S now and trade it for a Mission E when it comes out, but we tend to get a new cars often.
I wouldn’t call the previous highway charging efforts “similar”. Those efforts mostly installed 1-2 chargers at each location and many of them were only 25 kW.

The Electrify America plan initially covers ~40 states via a coast-to-coast interstate system with ~300 locations with 4-10 chargers each capable of 150 kW charging or more. Most of that network will be built within 1.5 years with the remaining 100 locations finished within another year or so after that. Then they have another ~7 years and up to $1.5 billion left to go. At least for the first 2-3 years they are planning to build their highway network at about the same pace and scale as Tesla did starting in 2012.

More "Mission E" news

For Mission E, Porsche calls out Tesla, plans fast chargers at all US dealers

Don't laugh too hard but here are the highlights:

"Weckbach took a moment to talk up what will differentiate this EV powerhouse from Tesla's. The most notable thing? Reliable, repeatable performance. Weckbach takes issue with Tesla's Ludicrous 0-60 times for the Model S, stating the car can perform such a feat "only twice -- the third attempt will fail."

Uh yeah. Tell Tesla Racing Channel that. How did they fake all those videos?

"Weckbach says that such performance would not be acceptable for a Porsche, that "Mission E will offer reproducible performance and a top speed which can be maintained for long periods." In other words: a proper, battery-powered track-day tool. "

Interesting. so Porsche mastered the BMS. Will be nice to see.

"Another differentiator? Charging. Porsche has already confirmed 800-volt charging for Mission E, able to deliver 250 miles of range in just 20 minutes. That compares to 480 volts for the Tesla Supercharger. Given the intricacies of voltage vs. current these numbers aren't necessarily directly comparable, but suffice to say Mission E could very well be the quickest-charging car on the road when it finally hits it next year."

Another BMS promise. We will see

And the biggest laugh:

"Of course, fast-charging only matters when chargers are available, and Porsche is for the first time detailing its commitment to build out a network in the US. Klaus Zellmer, CEO of Porsche Cars North America, confirmed that the company is working to outfit all 189 US Porsche dealerships with 800-volt fast-chargers."

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Yes. Some like acceleration and instant torque. They will like Tesla. If one wants handling and nimbleness, then they won't like the Model S.

I have owned 4 Porsches, still own two of them. One is a race car, and I'm also a certified instructor with PCA. And FWIW, my father-in-law is a contract employee for Porsche, he instructs at teh PEC in Atlanta.

The Mission-E, like the Panamara, is a 4 passenger car (though the Panamara wagon is a 5 passenger). Not an option for me. I have an M-Spec 535i I am considering replacing (basically has the M5 suspension). I was absolutely blown away with the handling of the S. Now granted, I was not expecting a whole lot, and I wasn't able to take it through the trenches, but it was much more nimble than I expected. It helped that it has the 21" wheels. I'll be bringing one home overnight tomorrow for a more thorough evaluation.

I also, frankly, don't trust Porsche to get it right. IMS bearings on the M97, cranks on the M97, #2 rod bearings on the 944 family of engines is just scratching the surface. And my experience as an engineer trying to work wiht German engineers is that they can be a bit overconfident and complacent (American engineers have to show data to prove they need to go to the bathroom! German ones, again in my experience, are inherently trusted, and don't have to show data to support their position). Porsche makes some absolutely phenomenal cars, handling wise. That is without question. But the rest......who knows?

Plus, think about why there aren't many diesel Cayennes running around. That car is an Audi wiht a Porsche badge. The 924 had an Audi engine. Porsche has no SME's on electric cars. WHo is doing the work? Porsche, or some contractor? And if Porsche, why would you trust them to get it right? And then, repairing it will cost 4-5 times what it should (or in Audi's case, first oil change for a TDI Q7 was quoted at $650).

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I have owned 4 Porsches, still own two of them. One is a race car, and I'm also a certified instructor with PCA. And FWIW, my father-in-law is a contract employee for Porsche, he instructs at teh PEC in Atlanta.

The Mission-E, like the Panamara, is a 4 passenger car (though the Panamara wagon is a 5 passenger). Not an option for me. I have an M-Spec 535i I am considering replacing (basically has the M5 suspension). I was absolutely blown away with the handling of the S. Now granted, I was not expecting a whole lot, and I wasn't able to take it through the trenches, but it was much more nimble than I expected. It helped that it has the 21" wheels. I'll be bringing one home overnight tomorrow for a more thorough evaluation.

I also, frankly, don't trust Porsche to get it right. IMS bearings on the M97, cranks on the M97, #2 rod bearings on the 944 family of engines is just scratching the surface. And my experience as an engineer trying to work wiht German engineers is that they can be a bit overconfident and complacent (American engineers have to show data to prove they need to go to the bathroom! German ones, again in my experience, are inherently trusted, and don't have to show data to support their position). Porsche makes some absolutely phenomenal cars, handling wise. That is without question. But the rest......who knows?

Plus, think about why there aren't many diesel Cayennes running around. That car is an Audi wiht a Porsche badge. The 924 had an Audi engine. Porsche has no SME's on electric cars. WHo is doing the work? Porsche, or some contractor? And if Porsche, why would you trust them to get it right? And then, repairing it will cost 4-5 times what it should (or in Audi's case, first oil change for a TDI Q7 was quoted at $650).

If you are afraid of over complicated solutions, I guess Tesla isn't really the go to place either. My S already had 3 door handles fail on me, I still love them and the idea behind them, but they are the main reason I'm not buying a Model X. And then there are all the DU issues people had.

If you want a safe and durable EV, buy the 2019 Leaf, the Bolt, or a Hyundai EV. IF you want something more fun, but not as reliable the Teslas and the Porsche are definitely the better, but much more pricey choice.

Reactions: gowthamn