Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla bring back free Supercharging due to free Porsche fast charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that your information is incorrect. The Taycan will have 3 years of free charging on a network that. at least today, is pretty small.
Nissan often provided a 2 year "No charge to charge" program that is similar (although a LOT more stations).

I really hope that Tesla doesn't bring back free Supercharging, it puts many owners in a bad position of relying on Supercharging. It also makes ownership a PITA, waiting at a Supercharger is NOT THE EXPRIENCE that any EV manufacturer wants their owners to have.

And honestly, free Supercharging is grossly overrated. I've used less than $150 in 9 months of ownership with 15,000 miles. There is no way that most ICE vehicles would come close to that cost. I just smile when I see the $5 or $10 Supercharger items, comparing those to $30 gas fillups.

I agree as a lot of Tesla Owners have been misusing SC to an extent that that's the only source to charge the car. Well, its a choice but in my opinion, not a good one.

Speaking of SC, Tesla screwed up my 6 months free SC and activated it a month late and now aren't willing to adjust the date telling me that it's active from purchase date (irrespective of the issue they had at tesla's end)
The referral program staff sucks as they did not respond to my emails in weeks and when they responded they clearly ignored my questions which would have clarified how they want me to use SC even though it was charging me for free SC. I've tried to escalate the issue through my account but no response yet. Tesla has an awesome product but the staff is poor and really an area where they will need to focus if they want to keep customers in 4-5 years when there will be many options around....

“Free supercharging being grossly overrated” is a grossly underrated statement.

People buying Taycans should have a very high opportunity cost of time premium.

A few bucks of electricity is not worth the time to travel to and from chargers.

If I were Tesla however I would include FUSC on the Performance S and X trims. You would die of old age before you got return on that investment IF FUSC was the determinant to push one over.
People will go for it however. “FREE” is a powerful aphrodisiac.

@piyu7444 - competition for the most part is still completely vaporware. Cars that have been released like the Bolt and iPace have been underwhelming. Tesla for certain is working on 2170 cell S and X refreshes that will make the Taycan DOA.

No doubt they poorly handled you. However, one month of charging is worth 10s of dollars and 100s of hours to sit there and charge?

I know free supercharger use is over rated but when we bought car, Tesla sales people really used that to sell the vehicle and kept pushing how much money we would save over the life of the vehicle. They did not say charge at home, use supercharger for traveling. Porsche claims like 250 miles in 15 minutes, better that the Costco gas line .

Reactions: BulldogsRus

A few bucks of electricity is not worth the time to travel to and from chargers.

Agreed. My times is worth much more than driving the 3 miles to Supercharger and sitting there for 30 minutes. I used Supercharging occasionally for the first 5 months I owned the car. This was due to waiting for the free Signature charger I earned. But, even before I had the HPWC I would only Supercharge occasionally. It was a better use of time and money to charge at home getting a 2 MPH with the Mobile charger, and if needed, top off on weekends at the Supercharger.

Reactions: MXWing
I know free supercharger use is over rated but when we bought car, Tesla sales people really used that to sell the vehicle and kept pushing how much money we would save over the life of the vehicle. They did not say charge at home, use supercharger for traveling. Porsche claims like 250 miles in 15 minutes, better that the Costco gas line .

That is not how the sales people at my SC worked. I asked them about using their Superchargers. They said they were there and I could use them, but it would be much more convenient to charge at home and wake up every morning with full range. And they are right!

Agreed. My times is worth much more than driving the 3 miles to Supercharger and sitting there for 30 minutes. I used Supercharging occasionally for the first 5 months I owned the car. This was due to waiting for the free Signature charger I earned. But, even before I had the HPWC I would only Supercharge occasionally. It was a better use of time and money to charge at home getting a 2 MPH with the Mobile charger, and if needed, top off on weekends at the Supercharger.

Have you looked into 240V charging? You’d get more than 2MPH and spending less electricity in the long run. Lots of overhead with 110V.

What sales rep will tell you might differ from store to store or end of quarter to end of quarter. ;)

Tesla won’t be the first nor will be the last company guilty of cat-fishing. While it’s technically true if you supercharge hundreds of thousands of miles you will save money, it’s also implying your time cost opportunity is not worth anything anything. Tesla wouldn’t dare to suggest the worth of your time.

I’ve seen a lot of claims in the past few years that hasn’t panned out.

Tesla “killers” and their time to market and volume to market.

Porsche is implying they will go from 0 to 75% at 350kW.

Model 3 drops below 112kW after 50 percent.

Anything is possible but nothing in this EV space can be taken at face value.

I’d love to know degradtion, battery warranty, terms and conditions.

Location and stalls for Taycan charging network.

I haven’t dismissed their claims out of hand, just seems very far fetched.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I read the Porsche taycan ev will have free charging on their network. Wonder if Tesla will bring back free charging for s and x?
I do not believe Tesla will bring back free Supercharging. There is no compelling reason to do so, given the sales volume they are now able to maintain.

The Porsche charging network is almost non-existent, so offering free charging on it isn’t much of an offer. Yes, Porsche will expand their network, but my understanding is it will be at Porsche dealerships, which for most people are not useful locations since they are not located in remote areas on long distance travel routes, they are in urban areas.

I do not believe Tesla will bring back free Supercharging. There is no compelling reason to do so, given the sales volume they are now able to maintain.

They should for Ludicrous packages that are software but cost 20K more.

No one is going to do 20K worth of supercharging but someone will pay 20K for “free” electricity.

I commute in my Model X. I don't have a charger installed at my condo and my employer provides free charging in the garage for EVs. Never really used Superchargers except some weekends when I'm around and about with a lot of driving or going to Truckee\Tahoe for skiing.

Certainly agree, some owners use the superchargers as their sole source. It appears to be so especially at the Daly City supercharging station where Model 3s are a dime in a dozen occupying about half to more than half of the 40 chargers. Nothing wrong with the 3s, love em, but you can tell that these are locals mostly that don't have sufficient chargers at home and many of them are brand new with no plates (within the 6-month free supercharging period probably).

Although, Porsche (Electrify America) installed the first 350kW in Livermore, CA here in the bay area, next to the supercharging station (of course...) it can provide juice @ approximately a rate of 20 miles/min. Which means the Taycan can go from almost empty to 80% in about less than 20 minutes for a 300 mile ranger.

The problem with Tesla's at this time is I don't believe the battery can take in that amount. Imagine if you can split the battery into two banks and plug into two 120kW superchargers (for a total of 240kW) and of course one off A and the other B bank. We can charge in half the time! I think most of us know at the 120kW Superchargers, don't charge next to another Tesla if you can to avoid sharing the same bank! The 80kW "urban" chargers are fine since they are dedicated.

Although, Porsche (Electrify America) installed the first 350kW in Livermore, CA here in the bay area, next to the supercharging station (of course...) it can provide juice @ approximately a rate of 20 miles/min. Which means the Taycan can go from almost empty to 80% in about less than 20 minutes for a 300 mile ranger.

Just to clarify, the Livermore installation has a two chargers with 350kW. There are other EA chargers at the SF Outlet Mall, but they are slower 150KW CCs.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

If I were Tesla however I would include FUSC on the Performance S and X trims. You would die of old age before you got return on that investment IF FUSC was the determinant to push one over.
People will go for it however. “FREE” is a powerful aphrodisiac.

@piyu7444 - competition for the most part is still completely vaporware. Cars that have been released like the Bolt and iPace have been underwhelming. Tesla for certain is working on 2170 cell S and X refreshes that will make the Taycan DOA.

No doubt they poorly handled you. However, one month of charging is worth 10s of dollars and 100s of hours to sit there and charge?

Tesla is focussed on model3 and profit to survive it seems and that is needed and good but do they have a plan for FAST charge long term? I am not sure if they do or don't.

Also, I don't like SC myself and don't care about missing it for a month but my issue is with how they are managing small issues in a truly non-professional manner. It doesn't reflect good and the question I ask is when there will be competition (similar product and charging networks) then they will have to change the culture to be "nicer and responsible" and that may be a little too late.

To help differentiate S/X from 3/Y, would not be surprised to see Tesla add FLSC (Free Limited Supercharging) as a benefit for S/X purchases at some point. The supercharger benefit was originally marketed as Free Long Distance Charging on the Supercharger Network. Under that model, the annual benefit per vehicle is likely around $100-200.

What Tesla evidently didn't anticipate was the need for urban chargers for owners that don't have access to overnight charging and the small number of commercial operators who use supercharging to keep their vehicles operating all day. The costs to support those vehicles is significantly higher, and unreasonable to expect as a benefit.

Tesla could implement FLSC as a limited amount of free supercharging per year, or, even better, only provide free supercharging outside of a 100-150 mile radius from where a vehicle is normally parked for overnight charging.

As mentioned above, competitors providing any form of free charging in the near term and limited to networks that have very little coverage, so the value of their free charging will be much less, at least for the next few years.

I agree as a lot of Tesla Owners have been misusing SC to an extent that that's the only source to charge the car. Well, its a choice but in my opinion, not a good one.

Speaking of SC, Tesla screwed up my 6 months free SC and activated it a month late and now aren't willing to adjust the date telling me that it's active from purchase date (irrespective of the issue they had at tesla's end)
The referral program staff sucks as they did not respond to my emails in weeks and when they responded they clearly ignored my questions which would have clarified how they want me to use SC even though it was charging me for free SC. I've tried to escalate the issue through my account but no response yet. Tesla has an awesome product but the staff is poor and really an area where they will need to focus if they want to keep customers in 4-5 years when there will be many options around....
Dispute it with your CC company. If Tesla says it was free from the day of purchase and they still charged you then you don't owe the money.

Dispute it with your CC company. If Tesla says it was free from the day of purchase and they still charged you then you don't owe the money.
They reached out to my DS (dont ask me why) so she is helping and said she will get it resolved. If not I ain't paying them anything for what was free but its more about the behavior of staff then 1 month of free sc. I personally am not a fan of SC unless I am on a trip where I have to use it...........

OK, let's all remember that it is NOT FREE, you pay for it up front when you buy into super charging. Your buying access to a system of charging your car when traveling, at least that was the original intent. I will never use $2,500.00 worth of electricity when super charging. I have to add an hour of charge time for every three hours of road time. Have 85,000 plus miles on my 60 and maybe 1/5 are highway miles.