Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla install panels on a metal roof like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know if Tesla will install panels on a metal roof like the one in the picture? Thanks!
IMG_20180413_181135048_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180413_181145921_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180413_181135048_HDR.jpg

I believe he's asking about mounting traditional solar panels on top of this roof.
Crap, lol, you are correct!

From what I’ve seen of the panels, they are pretty flush with the surface and have those edge moldings to make them look even more hidden.

They may be able to use other panels (older Solar City ones?) or use brackets to raise them off the surface but it’s def not the normal install.

Long story short: have to call and ask. The brackets may be flexible enough!

Reactions: FlyF4 and Seven7
In normal installations panels are usually installed on rails, lifting them up from the roof. A little air space under the panels helps somewhat in cooling the panels (and increasing the output). In addition, if microinverters are used there needs to be room for them under the panels. So... there would be plenty of room to clear the metal ridges on the roof.

Now, I don't know Tesla's installation procedure. When Solar City was bidding, they were too expensive and required contracts that were a large disadvantage to the owner, so we put together our own system.

I've read a few threads where Tesla will not install on metal roofs. This one is a couple years old: Solar City, Solar Panels, and Metal Roofs in Texas

I found it odd/unfortunate as with some metal roofs (standing seams), you could install the panels using non-penetrating brackets. Based on the pictures in the first post, I don't think they'd be able to use the non-penetrating brackets on that type of roof.

• Informative
Reactions: Seven7 and boaterva
I don't think Tesla will install on these types of roofs(inmost markets), but I'm pretty sure I read of a clamping system custom designed for solar on these metal roofs. Give it a good long google and get yourself a local installer. Just make sure your array is "upgradable" to a Powerwall down the line. :)

Reactions: Seven7
  • Informative
Reactions: Seven7 and NuShrike
In normal installations panels are usually installed on rails, lifting them up from the roof. A little air space under the panels helps somewhat in cooling the panels (and increasing the output). In addition, if microinverters are used there needs to be room for them under the panels. So... there would be plenty of room to clear the metal ridges on the roof.

Yes, and nice room for bunches of pigeons to nest under there and poop all over the roof :eek: