Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Really can't believe that after all of the opportunities to communicate range issues, delays due to seats, etc in the last few months, that Tesla execs didn't band together and say "Look, no matter what happens with the range update we promised at the end of Jan, we have got to communicate with our customers if there's even more of a delay.". Really just bewildering and borderline arrogance at this point.

Could it be, that Elon has too much to do, and others dont dare to do anything without his permission? (pure speculation)

Wow. Really can't believe that after all of the opportunities to communicate range issues, delays due to seats, etc in the last few months, that Tesla execs didn't band together and say "Look, no matter what happens with the range update we promised at the end of Jan, we have got to communicate with our customers if there's even more of a delay.". Really just bewildering and borderline arrogance at this point.
Exactly. This range-issue and the last few months string of other events could so easily have been handled so much better. I actually have a hard time grasping how to make the communications worse. Being pro-active is so much more professional than always playing catch-up.

And didn't they just rehire a guy for the head-job in this department? Where has he been all this time?

Could it be, that Elon has too much to do, and others dont dare to do anything without his permission? (pure speculation)

I've always suspected this is an inherent problem within Tesla. Actually, it's probably even worse. One ex Tesla employee griped on a message board that Elon swoops in once a month or so and tells people to change things he doesn't like. From reading the early history of Tesla, he's been doing this since the early Roadster days. Eberhardt had a point when he laid the delays of the initial Roadster at Elon's feet. Elon would not be involved in the early design meetings, but would see results well into the process, and then demand changes, resulting in much time and effort wasted.

As Elon himself might say, it isn't an optimal management strategy.

Having said this, I've never worked at Tesla, so what I just wrote could be pure bunk. It's just a guess based on slim evidence (and experience on my part).

I've always suspected this is an inherent problem within Tesla. Actually, it's probably even worse. One ex Tesla employee griped on a message board that Elon swoops in once a month or so and tells people to change things he doesn't like. From reading the early history of Tesla, he's been doing this since the early Roadster days. Eberhardt had a point when he laid the delays of the initial Roadster at Elon's feet. Elon would not be involved in the early design meetings, but would see results well into the process, and then demand changes, resulting in much time and effort wasted.

As Elon himself might say, it isn't an optimal management strategy.

It might not be, but it does give the engineers free reign to come up with something without being squashed for just bringing up the idea. (Many companies just tell the engineers what and how to do it and lose any original thoughts). Sometimes what the engineers come up with will be better than expected and sometimes it won't be, but in either case engineering time is less expensive in the long run than shipping a bad product.

As an optimist voter I feel the need to acknowledge I was wrong.

I honestly feel slightly shamed, almost as if I missed a deadline. But if that were the case I certainly would have provided an explanation and given a new date by which I expected to complete previous self imposed deadline. The 'no call no show' course has never been a good look. I expect more from myself.

The blog update on Model S range still says "torque sleep control software available by the end of January 2015":

image.jpg

Shameful on Tesla's part, really...

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P...

New things come up, and it's probably more important that brakes work all the time now in the new cars anyway... that would be a more important issue and is maybe getting the focus.

I've been mostly off-forum since I took delivery of my P85D. What's the brake issue you speak of?

The only thing I was trying to inject into this thread is: priorities.

The cure 100% effective for broken promises is curable and is simply not to promise.

Having failed that, the secondary and most effective coping mechanism is not to believe a promise.

Fan boys and girls want to believe, so there goes that.

Leaving Tesla to fix step one in this process.

If you actually make a purchase decision on just a promise, well... don't complain to anyone if it doesn't happen because you just look like a fool.

The cure 100% effective for broken promises is curable and is simply not to promise.

Better yet, keep your promises.

If you actually make a purchase decision on just a promise, well... don't complain to anyone if it doesn't happen because you just look like a fool.

Every product or service is sold on a promise (stated or implied) that it will function or work as described. Taken literally you're suggesting that either a) no-one should ever buy anything in case it doesn't function as promised or b) never complain about anything.

This "promise" came from Tesla _after_ they got caught selling a product they knew not to live up to the advertised specs. No prior info was given to the first customers about range being 15% less than the old P85.

The customers, including myself, bought on advertised spec at that time. And those specs are indeed still listed in the design studio to this day.

The blog update on Model S range still says "torque sleep control software available by the end of January 2015":

Shameful on Tesla's part, really...

Are they moderating comments on the blog now, or have they simply shut them down?

I just tried to post the following comment on the blog, but I don't see it. The most recent comment I can see is more than two days old.

--
Quoting from the blog above: "The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%."

Well, it's now February 1, 2015, and not a single P85D has received the promised update. Can we please at least have an update on the status of the update? Thanks.
--

The only thing I was trying to inject into this thread is: priorities.

Having failed that, the secondary and most effective coping mechanism is not to believe a promise.

Fan boys and girls want to believe, so there goes that.

Leaving Tesla to fix step one in this process.

Its a matter of advertising that isn't true.

In the simplest form its like seeing a coupon for a New TV thats got everything you have been waiting for to take the plunge on the latest and greatest technology. You, as the buyer read the spec (published by the company) and then you buy it. When you get it home, it turns out that its restricted to 10 channels; a few people complain because they clearly showed 100 channels in the advertisement. After enough complaints arise, the company releases a small disclaimer that says "90 more channels coming in January 2015"...and they keep the existing literature to attract new buyers largely the same with the occasional disclaimer to cover the shortfall. Unfortunately, we arent talking about something easily resolved in that case of TM - a $140,000 car has more hair wrapped around it than a TV that can be dropped back to the counter from which you bought it. SOme states dont allow this easily and frankly, I don't think many (if at all) want to go to the drastic measure of legal action or trying to create a buy back action.

Regardless of the remedy the individual seeks, I look at the actions of the company as more concerning - what if they had found some issues with something else (you mentioned brakes to illustrate your point earlier)? Would we be having to assume they must be working on something more important if brake failure was something they were missing timelines on? I dont see me or anyone else who bought the car of the specifics advertised by TM as "a fool". This range wasn't implied via the exclusivity of a rouge tweet from Elon - it was advertised all over their literature. This wasn't a promised; this was an important specification.

TM has moved from an experimental start up and in that beyond the very early adopters as customers. The second wave doesn't see the same things as that patient and loyal first wave. Moreover, they don't because TM is showcasing itself as more than that - they are comparing themselves to high end car manufacturers that have been around for 60+ years. They have to keep the same standard of commitment to excellence through all of their customer facing actions; not just the ones that work at the time for them. The alternative is distrust - you can see it even with the loyal fans...the acceptance of the issue with a "chill out" or "they are doing their best" is accepting that TM doesn't always deliver on their customer commitments - thats a slippery slope.

Correct.

But promising (for something that doesn't exist) and overstating (exaggerating something) are two different things.

One is observable, the other can be ignored.
All of it is "advertising" (making claims).

If there isn't a third party verifiable test and result, or something you witness yourself, then it is a promise by a company a.k.a. marketing, or as I like to frame it "just talk".

Do you believe everything in a glossy brochure from any other car manufacturer? I don't.
There are so many asterisks and limiting statements on so many claims made... they've effectively trained me not to believe.

Strong charismatic leaders... are a problem in this area. When anyone equates what Tesla is doing with "Elon" as in a personal touch, you are squarely in the fan club.

I am a fan too! I love my car.

But I'm using the effective coping mechanism method... don't believe everything you hear.
People form Missouri get it... so the saying goes.

Last edited: