Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla match Carvana on trade-In?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told “no.” It makes sense to me - Tesla likely sends the car to auction, so why would they match? Carvana has the ability to move the car to different markets and I would imagine makes their money on financing and warranty packages. Tesla is not a used car dealer.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I was told “no.” It makes sense to me - Tesla likely sends the car to auction, so why would they match? Carvana has the ability to move the car to different markets and I would imagine makes their money on financing and warranty packages. Tesla is not a used car dealer.
This is exactly right.
In my situation, I got trade in quotes from Carvana, Vroom, Tesla, KBB, and the best quote I got was from the Audi dealer I service my car at.

Carvana was about $2K more for me. But here in AZ, the dealer (in this case Tesla) is allowed to subtract the value of the trade from the sales price of the car when figuring the taxes. Figuring for the different level of taxes, the difference would have been less than $1K for me. So I went with Tesla to keep it simple. I agree that it pays to get multiple quotes, nonetheless.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Short answer is, no. Tesla never matches trade in value.

However, I still went ahead and traded in with Tesla at $29.3K. Before I made a decision to go with Tesla, I got approx. $31.2K from Carvana and $30.9K from Vroom. I just refused to sell a vehicle to dealerships because I didn't want to negotiate with them in person during the pandemic.

Living in Texas, I had tax saving of around $1850. Therefore, I was technically getting near $31.3K for my BMW trade in, a larger sum than selling it to Carvana or Vroom. In addition, my wife and I only had this BMW and not knowing when I will pick up the MY made it almost impossible for us to sell the car before.

In conclusion, i think trading in with Tesla can be better for some depending on circumstance like me

Something to note if you live in Silicon Valley... Carvana and Vroom adjust the offer down by $6600 on Model 3 for “Local Market Adjustment”
There's wild swings in that value too. We've been looking to sell 2 cars, and I've been refreshing my Carvana offers every week for a about a month.

We have a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, which has a -$2.5k market adjustment and has been pretty stable: all offers within $200 of each other.

We also quoted a Volvo V60, which has varied wildly. It had a -$2k market adjustment, but last week it switched to a +$1k market adjustment. This put it over blue book, so we sold it. (the process was super easy, btw)

So I'd just keep resubmitting, too, and see what happens.

If you're thinking of selling to Caravana, also check CarMax, Vroom and KBB. CarMax gave me the highest quote.

CarMax was a joke for me. I would skip them since you have to go in person. I was ~$37,800 for Carvana (though outside of the market and would have to get the car there), $35,688 from Vroom (took this offer and waiting for transport right now), and $32,000 from CarMax. 2019 Model 3 SR+ with 7,800 miles. Full front PPF but CarMax said the whole front end would need repainted... I dragged one of their people out to the car to show me exactly why it needed repainted and they said it looked fine but things like body work wouldn't cause the quote to be lower. I got heavy used car sales vibes from CarMax and really felt like they wanted me to go look at cars to buy while they wrote up the quote on the Tesla.