Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer suspension upgrade ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not going to be free, but judging from my experience getting my SC/SA to order me the new "wrap around trim" door panels, you may be able to order the parts and have a service tech install them. That being said, being suspension parts, it will likely need a trip to a service center, which does reduce the chance they will be willing to do it.

Many other members have reported their SC/SA not allowing them to order the same panels I did, so it will be likely highly dependent on the "cool-ness" of the SA, but as stated being a suspension component and not just a trim piece, it is a lot less likely they will be willing to do it.

Regardless, even if they do, it absolutely won't be for free, hence:

Why would you "upgrade" to the updated stock suspension, which still will likely suck, and cost money, vs just going with one of the very very nice incredible KW or Ohlins based coilover comfort spec kits like the Redwood Motorsports or Mountain Pass Coilovers? You will then get the ability to lower the car, not to mention having a vastly superior damper to whatever Tesla is using on the new "comfort" suspension.

It may be new, and may have revised damping and or spring rate setup, but it's still going to be far inferior to amateur motorsport grade dampers like KW or Ohlins, which Mountain Pass and Redwood use, respectively. I can't imagine the cost of the parts will be all that different, I'm sure someone can pull up the pricing on stock dampers and springs part #'s, which is what you'd be paying for the "updated" suspension, assuming they will let you order it at all. Labor would be the same if installing the inferior Tesla suspension vs the comfort coilovers.

Another point is having adjustability on rebound and compression. You don't even need to understand this part for yourself. Just have your shop install them, drive on them for a week, and let them know "it's too soft, please stiffen them" or "it's too stiff, please soften them".

I just don't see any point in retrofitting this particular part, when your money would be much better spent on better hardware that is very literally better in every single possible way.

It's not going to be free, but judging from my experience getting my SC/SA to order me the new "wrap around trim" door panels, you may be able to order the parts and have a service tech install them. That being said, being suspension parts, it will likely need a trip to a service center, which does reduce the chance they will be willing to do it.

Many other members have reported their SC/SA not allowing them to order the same panels I did, so it will be likely highly dependent on the "cool-ness" of the SA, but as stated being a suspension component and not just a trim piece, it is a lot less likely they will be willing to do it.

Regardless, even if they do, it absolutely won't be for free, hence:

Why would you "upgrade" to the updated stock suspension, which still will likely suck, and cost money, vs just going with one of the very very nice incredible KW or Ohlins based coilover comfort spec kits like the Redwood Motorsports or Mountain Pass Coilovers? You will then get the ability to lower the car, not to mention having a vastly superior damper to whatever Tesla is using on the new "comfort" suspension.

It may be new, and may have revised damping and or spring rate setup, but it's still going to be far inferior to amateur motorsport grade dampers like KW or Ohlins, which Mountain Pass and Redwood use, respectively. I can't imagine the cost of the parts will be all that different, I'm sure someone can pull up the pricing on stock dampers and springs part #'s, which is what you'd be paying for the "updated" suspension, assuming they will let you order it at all. Labor would be the same if installing the inferior Tesla suspension vs the comfort coilovers.

Another point is having adjustability on rebound and compression. You don't even need to understand this part for yourself. Just have your shop install them, drive on them for a week, and let them know "it's too soft, please stiffen them" or "it's too stiff, please soften them".

I just don't see any point in retrofitting this particular part, when your money would be much better spent on better hardware that is very literally better in every single possible way.
In theory, the OEM swap could be much cheaper ~$500 vs. $4-5k. I thought someone identified new parts costing in the hundreds total. Also, if you can get a tech to do the swap I imagine all parts remain under warranty.

Reactions: Olle
In theory, the OEM swap could be much cheaper ~$500 vs. $4-5k. I thought someone identified new parts costing in the hundreds total. Also, if you can get a tech to do the swap I imagine all parts remain under warranty.
Where did you get pricing that revised damper set is $500? Dampers come as a complete spring/damper/strut top set. It's hard to imagine a complete set is 500.

Would love to see a parts invoice for front and rear suspension for $500.

I'd also hate to see what kind of quality damper you are getting for <$100 per corner lol.

Where did you get pricing that revised damper set is $500? Dampers come as a complete spring/damper/strut top set. It's hard to imagine a complete set is 500.

Would love to see a parts invoice for front and rear suspension for $500.

I'd also hate to see what kind of quality damper you are getting for <$100 per corner lol.
new comfort suspension switch over dates
I ordered new dampers from Tesla to do a retrofit. The rear springs may also be different but I figured I will try keeping mine so I didn’t order the rear springs.
1670897818521.png

I can't vouch this info is accurate. It's closer to $600 before install, tax, etc. Still, it's not $4k. At some point someone will try this on their own or get a service tech to do it. Then we'll know the true cost.

new comfort suspension switch over dates

View attachment 884285
I can't vouch this info is accurate. It's closer to $600 before install, tax, etc. Still, it's not $4k. At some point someone will try this on their own or get a service tech to do it. Then we'll know the true cost.
**UPDATE: Looks like there was more discussion and they had trouble ordering the new parts:
Update: It appears Tesla doesn't yet sell the new suspension - even though they adjusted my order previously, the items on it were still not the newest versions. According to Model Y comfort suspension? the newest part numbers are:

1188363-00-H front left damper
1188368-00-H front right damper
1188463-00-E rear dampers

Reactions: CDrury
That's insanely cheap. I mean, if you can get the parts and are really on a budget, go for it. Myself personally, I prefer a high end adjustable damper and don't mind paying for it, but I can definitely see why someone would go this route.

I'm assuming they just softened the spring rates and softened the rebound and compression on the new suspension setup.

I have a 22 (Feb) Y with third row, would love some extra suspension. I went from an X5 that was pretty boat-like over the potholes to the Y thats a very "sporty" ride (i.e. like I reallllllly feel the road). Do other models have better suspension? The Y performance or the X, or the 3? Or is it just better on the 2023 Y?

Do you think it improves ride on 2022 MY LR? I feel current suspension is little harsh on potholes and lane dividers.
Not sure, depends on when your MY22 LR was built. After mid October it has a softer suspension. If before that date, hands down yes. And in either case, the Ohlins handles a lot better too (e.g. can feel the exact limit of the tires, on the stock suspension, the car was just bouncing around and handled truly horribly)

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2