Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Cybertruck Be able to tow a 5th Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that. I understand that it's possible that a fifth wheel could be designed to work with the Cybertruck's design and still have adequate clearance to the bed in turns and on uneven ground.

When the design is finalized and if an adequate selection of such fifth wheels exist at the time, I may reconsider.

Tesla SEMI - easier to drive than a Diesel. No gear box to master.
For the wealthy, $150,000 seems affordable?
Availability might be a problem? How long will the list be?

Someone might well rent SEMI ? Owner could even consider rentals. Would Turo do it?
How about Tesloop - Mission — Tesloop

SEMI able to join Tesla autopilot Network - you get the idea, even if I can't put into words

Even Zack & Jesse seem to be considering SEMI - especially before CyberTruck.

Options, we get more and more options with electrification. Especially Tesla products may offer more opportunities in the near future.

Range and charging are more of a problem than can the truck tow a 5th wheel or goose neck Sometimes you can't just unhook your trailer leave it someplace and then charge. This Horse trailer is in the weight range of what the truck can tow at max tow capacity. But would you unhook and leave the trailer while you charge with your Horses in it.
s-l640.jpg

Range and charging are more of a problem than can the truck tow a 5th wheel or goose neck Sometimes you can't just unhook your trailer leave it someplace and then charge. This Horse trailer is in the weight range of what the truck can tow at max tow capacity. But would you unhook and leave the trailer while you charge with your Horses in it.
s-l640.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

When you drop the trailer the forward "landing gear" wheels come down and support the load and engage a parking brake so your trailer is safe. Check out the videos you will be amazed at what this rig can do, it winches the trailer to the truck and locks in place. Extremely maneuverable, like an "18 wheeler pivot turn". Un-level ground, no problem.

Watch the demo of the Auto-Connect action.

Auto Connect

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

When you drop the trailer the forward "landing gear" wheels come down and support the load and engage a parking brake so your trailer is safe. Check out the videos you will be amazed at what this rig can do, it winches the trailer to the truck and locks in place. Extremely maneuverable, like an "18 wheeler pivot turn". Un-level ground, no problem.

Watch the demo of the Auto-Connect action.

Auto Connect

oh man, this is such a good example of the wrong equipment for the wrong job.

the cybertruck is really interesting to me, but I'm not going to sell my gooseneck just so I can justify one.

That looks like it's 6 ft long So it would move the trailer back 6 feet Wouldn't that create more wind drag It would also add length to the whole setup. The CT is 20 feet long Then you have a 38 foot trailer and add this to it and you are at 68 feet. I would want the 5th wheel as close as possible to cut down on wind resistance

That looks like it's 6 ft long So it would move the trailer back 6 feet Wouldn't that create more wind drag It would also add length to the whole setup. The CT is 20 feet long Then you have a 38 foot trailer and add this to it and you are at 68 feet. I would want the 5th wheel as close as possible to cut down on wind resistance
Well if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. There is always Motel 6, I hear they will leave the light on for you.

Why would you want to sell your gooseneck? The system adapts to both.

that system is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me. not to mention, that system is yet another thing I'd have to keep track of. my truck can tow my trailer, the pin weight is over my rear axle, it works. having towed many tag trailers in the past, they just do not have the stability a goose/5th has.

that system is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me. not to mention, that system is yet another thing I'd have to keep track of. my truck can tow my trailer, the pin weight is over my rear axle, it works. having towed many tag trailers in the past, they just do not have the stability a goose/5th has.
Good for your current arrangement. Mine will change when I put the CT in the garage and I see the improved handling characteristics of the Safety Hitch System and appreciate the many benefits it provides. Everyone's situation is different. Keep on Trucking.

Outline of some significant advantages of The Automated Safety Hitch system: .
  1. Enables you to always pull your trailer level for maximum longitudinal stability and maximum trailer braking effectiveness.
  2. Increases the length of your tow vehicle’s wheel base = The longer the wheel base the more control you have of your trailer.
  3. Adds a third independent full hydraulic braking system. The main axle has the same full hydraulic, vented disk brake system as one ton trucks.
  4. The Automated Safety Hitch System adds 75% of the braking capacity of a 1 ton truck to your tow vehicle.
  5. The Automated Safety Hitch System automatically integrates your tow vehicle’s brakes, it’s brakes and the trailer’s brakes.
  6. The combination of line items 4 and 5 can result in the stopping distance being shortened approximately 75%
  7. The Automated Safety Hitch System has the effect of shortening your trailer considerably when maneuvering.

In-depth Interview of J. Jamieson by Mark Polk in rvconsumer.com
Learn a lot about The Automated Safety Hitch System and what is important when pulling a trailer. This is of our inventor being interviewed. Please take the time to read all of it. Many people, who have been pulling trailers for many years are finding it very educational.

Click here to download the interview

Testimonial: Here is the article on my website: http://fifthwheelst.com/automated-safety-hitch-system.htm This article will be published in the July issue of the Heartland Highlights magazine. Your customers, whom I interviewed or surveyed, spoke highly of the hitch system. Now I’ve got to round up some funds to get one for myself as well. Best regards, Dave This was done by three couples who used to pull with a dually. One couple switched to a regular rear axle truck and the Automated Safety Hitch System and then two other couples, that they know, switched also. The six of them are suggesting that we also refer to the Automated Safety Hitch system as “the new in-line dually”. They have compiled a list of benefits from their experiences. If you have a dually, we want you to know that The Automated Safety Hitch System works very well with a Dually.

Comparison of The Automated Safety Hitch System as The In-Line Dually and the Old style dually

In-Line Dually vs. Old style Dually

4 rear tires Yes Yes
2 full size truck rear axles Yes No
Additional set of full power hydraulic disk brakes Yes No
Truck has Normal flush rear axle fenders Yes No
Additional 6,300 pound axle to support pin weight of up to 30,000lb trailer Yes No
Second independent, full power Hydraulic brake system Yes No
Brakes adjusted with same trailer brake controller Yes N/A
Integrate and easily upgrade the trailer brakes to hydraulic disk brakes Yes No
Pulls trailer to the outside of the turn Yes No
Increases longitudinal stability of the trailer rig Yes No
Gives you good directional stability if a rear tire blows out Yes No
Enables you to have full use of the pickup bed Yes No
Enables you to maneuver better in parking lots and gas stations Yes No
Enables you to pull your trailer level Yes No
Eliminates the need to block up the trailer Yes No
You can have a level trailer and 6 feet of headroom inside gooseneck Yes No
Compatible with an SUV Yes No
Enables you to pull your trailer with an SUV Yes No
Eliminates the need to raise and lower the tailgate for the trailer Yes No
Ability to utilize the new dually design with a 3/4 ton vehicle Yes No
Enables a 3/4 pickup to pull same size trailer as a 1 ton dually Yes N/A
Lessens chance of damaging the rear differential Yes No
Enables your trailer to pull itself out of the mud or sand Yes No
Enables you to jackknife more than 90 degrees without damage Yes No
Makes hooking up to the trailer a lot easier Yes No
Makes unhooking from the trailer a lot easier Yes No
Streamlined for less wind resistance/better gas mileage Yes No
Allows you to rotate the truck tires for better wear/longer life Yes No
Should replace all four rear tires when one tire needs replacing No Yes
Need for wider than normal truck fenders No Yes
Expensive Dually fenders to repair No Yes
Wearing out second set of tires when not pulling a trailer No Yes
Having difficulty of changing flat inside tire N/A Yes
Need to repair the tailgate after not lowering it when hooking up No Yes
Need to repair the tailgate after not lowering it when unhooking No Yes
Need to get under the gooseneck to lower and raise the tailgate No Yes
Need to get in back of pickup to secure coupling and safety chains No Yes
Difficult maneuvering around town when not pulling the trailer No Yes
Difficult parking around town when not pulling the trailer No Yes
Difficult maneuvering around gas pumps when not pulling the trailer No Yes
Fenders interfere with view of the trailer tires when driving No Yes
More likely to side swipe gate columns No Yes
Increases the chance of damaging the rear differential No Yes
Can have a level trailer and more headroom inside the gooseneck Yes No
Save18

Last edited:
Motel 6 = No wind resistance at all.

Reactions: dazedNconfuzed
For some folks using the Safety Hitch will constitute towing a tandem trailer. This is not legal in many states. There's also the issue of the length that it adds to the fifth wheel. The Cybertruck is 19'4". Add 6 ft for the Safety Hitch and then say another 40' for a fifth wheel, and now you're at 65'4". My F450 dually comes to 52' with my 35' fifth wheel in tow.

As someone who tows fairly often, I am very doubtful of a truck with a GVWR of 10k lbs being able to adequately and safely tow something like a 17k lbs fifth wheel. When you add the tandem trailer to the equation, you're setting yourself up for some possible instabilities.

Finally, you should be aware that if you're combine GVW of the truck, Safety Hitch, and trailer are over 26k lbs, you will need a non-commercial Class A driver's license. This means you will have to go to a DMV and take the regular commercial Class A driver's test which includes being able to back the fifth wheel up a certain distance into a parking space, as well as backing it up into a dock. If you don't have a lot of experience towing, this is NOT an easy test. This license may also up your insurance.

I see lots of folks towing overweight on the roads. These people are a danger to themselves and to others who share the road with them. Please don't try and band aid the situation. Buy enough truck to tow what you want to tow. Just because a F250 has the same motor as a F450 does not mean it can tow a heavy fifth wheel as well. You have to consider the payload of the truck, the suspension, and the stability. I've encountered situations where I had to short brake because some ninny cut in front of me. My 15.5" brakes did their job and thankfully I didn't hit the guy. I've also towed my fifth wheel through a dust devil, which is a mini-tornado. I was VERY fortunate to be in a dually. I merely felt a sharp jolt. Had I been in a truck that was towing near its limit and only had single rear wheels, there could have been a seriously bad outcome.

I love the concept of the Cybertruck. But Tesla did not design it to tow a fifth wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
But Tesla did not design it to tow a fifth wheel.

And you know this how?

Agree with some of your points; a lot of them seem exaggerated or only applicable to the biggest and heaviest of trailers.

Certainly the Cybertruck should be at least as capable as any half ton pickup of pulling the lightweight “1/2 ton” series 5th wheels (most of which should probably have a somewhat heavier tow vehicle despite the marketing.)

I know this based on the design of the Cybertruck. With the rising bedrails, towing a fifth wheel was certainly not a consideration. I have a lot of experience towing a fiver. The weight of the Cybertruck is just not high enough to offer good control over a big fifth wheel. There are very few "light" fifth wheels. Even the "light" ones are oftentimes just right on the ragged border of being able to be towed by a 1/2 ton truck. And if you speak to those folks who tow, you will hear that many who started out with a 1/2 ton truck moved to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck because it simply offers much more control and a far more relaxed towing experience.

Another word of advice. It's much better to tow with something overrated for what you're towing, than to be at the high limit of the tow vehicle. Sure you might be able to tow something on flat ground, on a sunny day, with no cross winds. But that's not real life. Set yourself up to handle the worse of conditions so you can be safe and be safe for others around you on the road.

Final thing - with a 40 foot fiver, a six foot Safety Hitch, and the 19' Cybertruck, your effective total length is 65'. How are you going to charge that up at a Supercharger? You'd have to unhitch, charge, and re-hitch.

Pick the right tool for the job.

And you know this how?

Agree with some of your points; a lot of them seem exaggerated or only applicable to the biggest and heaviest of trailers.

Certainly the Cybertruck should be at least as capable as any half ton pickup of pulling the lightweight “1/2 ton” series 5th wheels (most of which should probably have a somewhat heavier tow vehicle despite the marketing.)