Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Cybertruck Be able to tow a 5th Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are going to bag an air bagged truck? 5th wheel trailers are for 3/4 and heavier trucks. 1/2 ton trucks are less than ideal for this task.

CAN YOU READ?

I was responding to another comment where the poster said the cybertruck would need to be bagged for a fifth wheel. I was pointing out EXACTLY what you are saying.

THE TRUCK COMES WITH AIR SUSPENSION AND A 1/2 TON IS NOT IDEAL FOR TOWING A FIFTH WHEEL ANYWAYS.

If a model X weighs 500 lbs more than an F150, you think a bigger vehicle with a stronger body made of heavier material, bigger motors, wheels, tires, brakes, battery and everything else, will be 500lbs lighter than a model X?

I don't think you can compare the Model X to the Cybertruck, they will be built completely differently. And how much of that ~500lbs. do you think is related to the complicated FWDs and the structure necessary to support them and maintain crash worthiness?

Bigger motors? I suspect they will be using the exact same motors as the current "Raven" Model X in the AWD CT, and the Plaid Model X and Tri-motor CT will share the same motors.

Reactions: Ehninger1212
If a model X weighs 500 lbs more than an F150, you think a bigger vehicle with a stronger body made of heavier material, bigger motors, wheels, tires, brakes, battery and everything else, will be 500lbs lighter than a model X?
Yup

material is stronger not necessarily heavier and the idea is to use less of it which is why it’s designed as a monocoque not a unibody

stainless steel depending on the alloy can weigh less than regular automotive mild steel

Yup

material is stronger not necessarily heavier and the idea is to use less of it which is why it’s designed as a monocoque not a unibody

stainless steel depending on the alloy can weigh less than regular automotive mild steel

They are not using less anything regarding the material. The sheet steel is so think they have to score it to bend it.
This is going to be a 7000 lb truck. And that is not a bad thing. You can't pull heavy with a flyweight vehicle. Not safely anyway.
I'd like to see this truck be able to pull what they have stated.
I guess we will find out in two years who is right.
A true monocoque? It will need panels that can be replaced in a cost effective way.

Here's another neat 5th wheel concept with corresponding article and youtube video.

CT-5thwheelconcept.PNG

Last edited:
Might have been brought up and discussed or just a stupid idea but i'll ask anyway. Why can't the trailer have its own battery pack like the cybertruck or any other Tesla so it extends its range? Kind of like having an extra gas tank on big pickup? That trailer would be able to have one heck of a big battery

The 5th wheel would have to mount forward of the in bed storage opening. How far forward is the question The mounts that will attach to the frame how much clearance is there above and forward of the motors and above the battery? You will have to have a long neck on the trailer and move the base of the front of the trailer rearward. The front overhang on the trailer will be longer. Even though they make 5th wheels for half tons I would not do it.

Might have been brought up and discussed or just a stupid idea but i'll ask anyway. Why can't the trailer have its own battery pack like the cybertruck or any other Tesla so it extends its range? Kind of like having an extra gas tank on big pickup? That trailer would be able to have one heck of a big battery
One reason would be that the extra weight makes a pretty big pendulum. Also heavier frame and bigger tires. And you need to maintain a 50% charge level in that battery when you're not using it, so unless you live in the trailer, it's just another expense that happens all year long. A trailer with solar panels on top makes more sense because they are lighter and don't need special care when not in use. You might even be able to charge the Cybertruck all year round with that setup. (Depending upon your daily driving distance and your parking arragements).

They are not using less anything regarding the material. The sheet steel is so think they have to score it to bend it.
This is going to be a 7000 lb truck. And that is not a bad thing. You can't pull heavy with a flyweight vehicle. Not safely anyway.
I'd like to see this truck be able to pull what they have stated.
I guess we will find out in two years who is right.
A true monocoque? It will need panels that can be replaced in a cost effective way.
it’s 3mm thick and very hard which is why the have to score it. But it’s also very light and yes they 100% are using less as a unibody has both an integral frame usually made out of a heavier gauge sheet than the body panels which are removable. The cybertruck rifles all of that and the Body panels themselves ARE the frame removing the need for the internal unibody structure. so it uses less material. I’ve stripped many unibody cars down to the unibody itself there’s a ton of metal there amore than you think. I don’t think it will require easy panel replacement, I think they’re banking on few panel replacements due to near indestructibleness rightly or wrongly. Also we’re not saying the entire thing is forged out of 1 solid piece with no joins even if a panel needs to be replaced with a monocoque design it can still be done we don’t even know how they’re bonding them now, they could be welded, glued, riveted etc we have no idea. As well you’re just plain wrong on the weight They said it would be comparable with the F150 which ranges from 4000lbs to 5700lbs depending on options so you’re not getting a 7000lb curb weight cybertruck

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33