Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reply. But it doesn't directly answer my question.
You are paying over a thousand bucks each year to take your hands of the wheel. Everything else remains the same. You can't doze off, you can't sight see, you can't read the paper, you can't do anything but concentrate on what the car is doing each and every minute - for fear of it going bandit, can you?
So why are people paying a load of money to take their hands off the wheel????
It doesn't make sense.
You can't take your hand off the wheel either. Driving is less stressful and less tiring with an assistance program such as this. If you are driving a long distance, you will be less exhausted when you arrive. I already find that just with Autopilot.

And with the subscription you don't have to pay over $1000 each year. You can just pay for it when you need it or when you want it.

"Driving is less stressful and less tiring with an assistance program such as this. If you are driving a long distance, you will be less exhausted when you arrive."

Might I suggest that if/when FSD makes a decision (overtaking/lane changes/speed changes) the driver will need to monitor the cars decision even more closely than were he/she to do it themselves because when the driver does it - it is a pre planned intentional decision and you know what you are going to do.
Compared to a computer making these decisions and you do not know what the outcome will be. Consequently the stress level by default will rise - no?
The car only has to make one false decision for the driver not to trust it again. Supervision will become the default setting and this brings with it a heightened degree of arousal.
So using FSD on any journey never mind long journeys - to reduce stress ......is a misnomer.

No-one can/should 'switch off' with FSD engaged (hence why they require you to be a nano second behind the controls).

Musk must think you are a cash cow dream!

It defies logic!

The free trial has multiple purposes. First off is to get people hooked like a proper dopeman and earn some quick cash. One video I watched suggested the FSD revenue would be an estimated $600 million annually if there is a 25% take rate putting 500K cars on the road with FSD, about a 10% boost in profit. The bigger motivation is collecting more data to refine the system and get to the next level, that will be the real revenue generator with the robo taxi and FSD licensing to other companies. I saw a video about the number of miles driven on FSD had just reached 1 billion, with the free trials and now $99 subscription it shouldn’t take too long to reach 2 billion, 5 billion, 10 billion, etc. 500K cars driving just 2000 miles per year on FSD would be 1 billion miles per year. The regulatory hurdles of L3 and beyond will be steep, when the machines get to the point where they drive safer that the meat bags behind the wheel there will be a change.

Reactions: zoros
"Driving is less stressful and less tiring with an assistance program such as this. If you are driving a long distance, you will be less exhausted when you arrive."

Might I suggest that if/when FSD makes a decision (overtaking/lane changes/speed changes) the driver will need to monitor the cars decision even more closely than were he/she to do it themselves because when the driver does it - it is a pre planned intentional decision and you know what you are going to do.
Compared to a computer making these decisions and you do not know what the outcome will be. Consequently the stress level by default will rise - no?
The car only has to make one false decision for the driver not to trust it again. Supervision will become the default setting and this brings with it a heightened degree of arousal.
So using FSD on any journey never mind long journeys - to reduce stress ......is a misnomer.

No-one can/should 'switch off' with FSD engaged (hence why they require you to be a nano second behind the controls).

Musk must think you are a cash cow dream!

It defies logic!
When you drive manually with no assistance, you must continually make small adjustments to steering and throttle (and brake) to stay between the lines and at a safe distance from the car ahead. You focus is on the short distance between the lines and also the car ahead. This is tedious and tiring, especially on long drives.
Even basic AP takes over these tasks for you allowing you to focus more on "the big picture" ... cars in adjacent lanes, further ahead and behind and oncoming traffic. It really is much easier to drive this way.

I did a 164 mile round trip today, much of the highway portion using FSD. When I was a mile from home the car decided I wasn’t paying enough attention (I had a hand on the wheel and was looking at the road) and kicked off the FSD generating the message pictured below. I don’t think I was doing anything at that specific time to trigger it. Earlier in the drive I tested the system a few times on the highway by squinting to make it look like my eyes were closed or looking in the wrong direction. Is it a specific instance or more like a scorecard for the trip that causes it to shut off? If I hit magic number 5 can I have the SC reset it, or is FSD dead for good?

IMG_8098.jpeg

All Teslas have AP and since that provides the bulk of the benefit I'll stick with that.
I view the rest of the "features" as party tricks which are appropriate for the robotaxi.
FSD is much better than AP for basic driving like accelerating and stopping in traffic and lane positioning. I did not know this until I got the 30 day trial. It really is quite a nice improvement.

Anybody know how to trigger the auto park to work?
Driving through a parking lot doesn't do anything.
You have to drive very slow. It works much better if you have a vision only car and will show you a bunch of spots to choose. If you have USS sensors then it will only see one spot at a time and just puts a small "P" in a circle symbol on the screen that you have to touch to initiate the prompts. You basically have to drive past the spot, then the P pops up, then once you click to initiate it backs in. It doesn't work on angled spots.