Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had my purchase to do over, in 2020 I would have not 'bought' FSD and used the money to get Ultra Red (and bank the rest.)

My advice to Canadians asking about buying a tesla (aside from DON'T until you hear all I hate about mine and decide you can live with the problems that put me into a white hot rage) has been to buy the car and, if you are all on highways for the majority of the driving to buy EAP. And when, eventually FSD subscription comes to Canada your FSD subscription price will cost you less. I also say if you truly believe in FSD, use the delta to buy some tesla stock and cash-in the investment to buy a tesla with L4 capability once it comes to the market, covering most or maybe even all the price of the second car.

Now, my advice will be to skip EAP and just subscribe to FSDS.

EAP is now $7800 so if you subscribe to FSDS you'll get 78 months before EAP is less expensive than FSDS. That's 6.5 years. Longer if you don't take subscribe during the months of heavy ice/snow season, or pothole season. Or while you are away on holiday without the car.

During the 6.5+ years if you total or sell the car for whatever reason, you are not out the price you paid for EAP. If you get another tesla, you are, at most, out a month's subscription instead of up to $7800 (EAP) or $16000 (FSDS).

Given the prices, I can't imagine that EAP or FSDS will remain available for purchase after a few weeks here in Canada. They are really stupid options.

I didn't consider it, and after using it a handful of times, I still wouldn't. I'm too nervous of it's narrow turns, the couple of random slow downs on the freeway when no one is in front of me, and today, it missed a turn that was on the nav. I also feel the need to turn it off when I have to take a freeway exit because it waits until the absolute last minute to get into the lane I need to be in.
It's very cool, but still has a lot of bugs to work out.

I didn't consider it, and after using it a handful of times, I still wouldn't. I'm too nervous of it's narrow turns, the couple of random slow downs on the freeway when no one is in front of me, and today, it missed a turn that was on the nav. I also feel the need to turn it off when I have to take a freeway exit because it waits until the absolute last minute to get into the lane I need to be in.
It's very cool, but still has a lot of bugs to work out.
All valid points.

As someone who is 'stuck' with FSD because I 'bought' it, I will say that on divided, controlled access highways it is worth subscribing for road trips. I can switch between TACC+Autosteer and FSDS on the fly and on a 400 series highway, FSD is smoother. There is such a noticeable difference, that is why I have 2 profiles, one with FSD enabled, one without. It is important to note, though, the actual software used in this situation is the V11 FSDb software, they haven't implemented V12 on controlled access highways yet.

I hate my tesla and will never buy another but it is my understanding the Enhanced AutoPilot was head and shoulders above other vehicles before V12 was available and I will miss what it could do. I won't miss a TACC that doesn't stay set at the speed I requested, because it knows better (I don't speed, I use CC to maintain the speed limit since I have a tendency to drive slowly), or that simply won't work when it is too foggy or deep dark, or on highway 60 in Ontario where it reads the highway number sign as the speed limit and slows quickly to 60kph each time I drive by one (something reports from the US show is not fixed in V12 yet.) I also won't miss the faulty wipers that must be set to auto in order to use either AP or FSD.

Compared to previous versions, the V12 on city streets is head and shoulders above previous versions (which I never used, I would try each new version, it would eff up, scare the crap out of me, requiring a takeover within a couple of blocks each time and then I would not try it until the next version.) So far, we've had to disengage because it made mistakes on city streets but because it no longer speeds as much, those mistakes were predictable so my attentive supervising driver worked with the software and as a passenger I never felt at risk. It handled on/off the 401 smoothly (V12 sometimes has problems with the handover to V11 on highways but it was fine for us. Personally, I haven't tested it thoroughly yet except for a neighbourhood drive. At two T stop-sign controlled intersections where it had to make an unprotected left and immediate right during steady flow traffic of people cutting through my residential, 30kph neighbourhood, it did amazingly well.

But despite taking the car out 6 times since that test drive, I have not tried out FSDS again because it is slower and requires more effort to use than just driving myself. And I tend to time things too tight so don't have time for my car to come to a complete stop and pause, at the 6 stop signs between me and the street that leads me to most of my destinations. The only time I'd be tempted to let the car do that is if I was driving in my neighbourhood and would be holding up all the people who cut through it to make an illegal turn in order to shorten their time in the heavy traffic to get to the bridge.

If one is supervising properly, one must pay attention to everything the car does and all inputs from around you and if the car is slowing down suddenly, is that a software glitch or is there a danger coming from you blind side, that it can see because it sees in all directions at once?

That additional stress while driving isn't what I want "Autonomous Driver Assist Software" to do. I want ADAS to take over one of the simple tasks (i.e. maintain speed and maybe even lane keeping if there are no potholes) while I handle anticipating hazards coming at me. Or to handle stop and go in heavy traffic, so I can chill out and get through the slowdown without being stressed-out. AP currently does that very well. FSDS tries to find the fastest lane so is very stressful in that case because you become the a-hole on the highway butting in and switching from lane to lane to gain a few seconds.

I agree, I'd probably do subscriptions for say summer months when road trips are more likely. Not sure I'd use FSD much between November and March in most Canadian cities...
It’s kinda like a free trial of cocaine, use it for two weeks and you’re hooked. I was resisting until the pusher cut the price in half.

IMG_2628.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: KevinT3141
So tell me - assuming you go ahead and pay $99/month or $10/month - allowing you to use FSD......do you still have to (a) supervise the car, (b) remain within touching distance of the wheel and pedals and (c) look ahead and second guess what might be coming up and prepare for the worst?

If the answer to any of these is ...yes. Why in the name of "whoever" - are you paying hard earned money for a system which offers you NO freedom at all (from driving)???

Have I missed something here?

If the answer to any of these is ...yes. Why in the name of "whoever" - are you paying hard earned money for a system which offers you NO freedom at all (from driving)???

My only use case would be a long road trip.
If I had daily long commutes with lots of traffic FSD might help keep the edge off (if they fix the jerkyness)

I agree, doesn't work for everyone but @ $99 it's a good option

Reactions: mspohr and kpanda17
Thanks for the reply. But it doesn't directly answer my question.
You are paying over a thousand bucks each year to take your hands of the wheel. Everything else remains the same. You can't doze off, you can't sight see, you can't read the paper, you can't do anything but concentrate on what the car is doing each and every minute - for fear of it going bandit, can you?
So why are people paying a load of money to take their hands off the wheel????
It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the reply. But it doesn't directly answer my question.
You are paying over a thousand bucks each year to take your hands of the wheel. Everything else remains the same. You can't doze off, you can't sight see, you can't read the paper, you can't do anything but concentrate on what the car is doing each and every minute - for fear of it going bandit, can you?
So why are people paying a load of money to take their hands off the wheel????
It doesn't make sense.
Try it. You will know why. It truly amazing.

So you have two profiles set up for yourself that are identical aside from FSD being enabled on one and not the other? How do switch on the fly while driving?
Pull up the the screen that has the glove box opening on it and the profile shows there and if you press on the profile the list comes up and then you press the other profile that you want. I haven't determined whether voice command will do it either but I suspect not because I find voice command not overly useful to me.

The danger for me when I do this is we have a profile called eating which moves the seat all the way back and the steering wheel up so that my husband has room to eat in the car. If I press that by accident I have to wait for the seat to completely move before I can change profile to the correct profile. The danger comes if I go to press the name of my other profile at the same time that the car hits a bump.