Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model Y get a heat pump?

Will the Model Y get a heat pump for HVAC?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More deliveries every day, and in many latitudes.

Perhaps we all just wait until people actually use their heat pumps (for heating and cooling) and report how effective it is before making dire predictions and how dumb it was to design for the Y and how it won't work in the cold?

Sorry to be so direct, but it's so annoying that people are always coming with the one, unlikely and rare scenario where it doesn't work so well. So what the heat pump will not help efficiency much in -30 degree weather. Does it hurt efficiency? Not at all. Does a heat pump help in what is the majority of cases among the fleet? Absolutely. That's what matters.

It's like arguing that regen doesn't help in -30 degree. Yes we know, when the battery is cold you have zero regen. Does that mean regen is a bad idea? No! Because we are not making decisions based on extreme cases.

This isn't a matter of efficiency, it's a matter of effectiveness. Of course a heat pump is more efficient. My concern is that it won't be effective when it is very cold. Already the PTC heater in the model 3 can struggle to keep up when it's really cold and you are driving fast since so much heat is lost. The model Y has more volume and surface area to heat and lose heat from and it has to source it's heat energy from the cold outside air. Apparently the compressor can be used to generate waste heat to help with the situation so we will have to see how well that works.

I would opt for a cold weather package and an insulated aluminum panel roof if it was an option. The glass is amazing but possible only where it never rains is it totally practical. I would say an insulated aluminum roof may also even lighten up the vehicle. One less thing that could be a PITA. But then I still think manual windows work well. If the heat pump saves energy under certain circumstances I would say that is progress.

Rumor is that the Model Y will get rid of the PTC heater in favor of a heat pump with a significantly redesigned cooling system. I have always wondered why Tesla didn't follow the other brands who offer a heat pump for us who love cold weather.

Presenting D' Heat Pump.
20200319_150943.jpg

20200319_150943.jpg 20200319_150948.jpg 20200319_150935.jpg 20200319_150923.jpg 20200319_150753.jpg
@ryanshawtech

Even at 0 there isn't a lot of heat to be pumped. You are trying to extract heat from 0 degree air and move it up a gradient to try and blow say 80 degree air in to the cabin to try and maintain 70 degrees. Thankfully someone found a patent by Tesla where they are using the compressor motor to generate heat by running it inefficiently. Since that is effectively a resistance heat source, I'm not sure how much efficiency will be gained versus the PTC heater at really cold temperature. Certainly at mild temperatures, the heat pump system will be more efficient.
You see, zero is actually very hot, no matter Celsius or Fahrenheit ;)
thermometers_kelvin_celsius_fahrenheit_big.gif

The LEAF models with a heat pump also included a resistive heater for low temperatures. End of chapter for shoddy Tesla HVAC implementation. Move on.
Not for low temperatures. PTC is always used (except defog) with heatpump during warmup period. Depending on requirements PTC will kick out within one minute (near freezing temps) up to "never" if HP in unable to heat the air enough.