Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reckon you could get a person to stay in the seat in the folded down position lol.

I wonder if at the reveal (if there is one) Elon will have an X fully loaded with cargo then lift up the folded down 2nd row seats and people fastened to the seats will pop up. :biggrin:

Another benefit of the design is you wouldn't need to remove the child seats in order to fold the seats flat for cargo. Each seat could also fold flat independently so you could haul something long and yet still have room for back seat occupants. So you could fold the middle second row seat flat and put skis there but still have room to put people on either side of those skis. I'm also assuming the same will be true for the third row seats that each side can fold independently.

View attachment 92845

That looks right to me....and the big hump under the rear seat, I bet that's for everyday cargo room from the liftback (trunk). Can't wait till the big reveal! Should be quite a show!

I agree on this and i think the seats will not be able to rotate to the outside.

I agree. It would be so counter to what EM heavily promoted about the X if they skip the fold down 2nd row. Even Bjorn said it on his video of the X that the seats look EXACTLY the same as the ones for the S. I'm thinking/hoping the actual seats will be different than what was shown in the render.

Another benefit of the design is you wouldn't need to remove the child seats in order to fold the seats flat for cargo. Each seat could also fold flat independently so you could haul something long and yet still have room for back seat occupants. So you could fold the middle second row seat flat and put skis there but still have room to put people on either side of those skis. I'm also assuming the same will be true for the third row seats that each side can fold independently.

The downside to this design is that you lose all of the space under the flipped seat. Look at the clearance between the backs of the flat seats and the roofline. It's not very much, and would significantly impact what you could carry and the total cubic feet of space. I think Tesla will want a lay-flat setup that provides more vertical space.

I hope this is not the case, it would severely limit the cargo capacity and it would still not be flat from the rear storage behind the third row. It would also make it very tall to load anything in and out of the MX. Are the three 2nd row seats independent of one another to allow passengers in the 3rd row to egress in and out?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but anyone thinks the 2nd row outside seats may rotate towards the door (right seat turns right)
It doesnt look like the entire row is one solid piece
So if the back of the seat is a bit rounded in the corner, it may allow for rotation to 45-60 degree or so
What do you think?
It would help with child seats and getting kids into them

Considering that the original Model X prototype already had very similar base design for the second row:

hqdefault.jpg

And it went flat like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=14581.png

It seems likely to me that these too will turn forwards as has been suggested here by sjoshuaj:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92845&d=1441218076.png

It appears from this picture that the front seats could be suspended in a untraditional manner (as the second row is), almost like they are "floating". This would be consistent with the idea that the seats slide down and forward and hug the front seats.
Tesla-Model-x-14 copy.jpg

It appears from this picture that the front seats could be suspended in a untraditional manner (as the second row is), almost like they are "floating". This would be consistent with the idea that the seats slide down and forward and hug the front seats.
View attachment 92879

Every time I see that photo it makes me really want white on white.

So, is it even conceivable that the second row seats would NOT go down to form a flat cargo floor, at least in the Sigs? I know if I had a Sig reservation and it was revealed that the seats did not convert, I'd be bailing, fast.

I think, no matter how sculptural, this seat option would be of equal popularity to the MS Executive rear seats.

I'm guessing that the early Signature people know the answer to this second row seat business and aren't able to tell us.

So, is it even conceivable that the second row seats would NOT go down to form a flat cargo floor, at least in the Sigs? I know if I had a Sig reservation and it was revealed that the seats did not convert, I'd be bailing, fast.

I think it's not only conceivable, but perhaps even probable that they don't go flat. They advertise it for the 3rd row but don't say anything about it with the second row. This is another reason I am of the opinion that they merely move forward out of the way in some fashion.

WRT the executive option, I've thought about this a number of times. One thing the individual adjustment allows for is backing off the center position and keeping the two outside positions forward more. Or vice versa. This allows for some level of privacy or at least space. However, the way I was thinking about it was more related to having two kids in the back seat on a road trip that can't get along. Pull that middle seat up to "separate" them. Aw yeah.

I'm guessing the current seats are upgraded and don't go flat, similar to the way the executive seats don't fold. I think the regular second row seats will collapse forward and the seat cushion will be flat against the floor. Then the back would just fold forward onto the base, creating a flat cargo area as was seen in the prototype.

Interesting, but it requires there to be no posts of any kind under the rear half of the front seats and console. Even if they could do that, I'd think the structural integrity of the front row would be seriously compromised.

They could have rear support posts on the edges, as long as the 2nd row seats were narrow enough to fit between them. It would still require a lot of strength, though.

I'm guessing the current seats are upgraded and don't go flat, similar to the way the executive seats don't fold. I think the regular second row seats will collapse forward and the seat cushion will be flat against the floor. Then the back would just fold forward onto the base, creating a flat cargo area as was seen in the prototype.
From my engineering perspective, there's NO WAY for these seats to fold flat. The regular seats will have that capability, I'm guessing.

View attachment 92845

This is definitely what it will do.