Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree removable seats are a compromise. But then I paid a fraction of the price of the ludicrous upgrade for my beater MPV ;)

Modern ones both 2nd and 3rd will collapse into the floor. (ala "stow and go" on the Chrysler)

chrysler__2_8_crd_auto__comfort__stow_n_go_1_hand__2007_10_lgw.jpg

As you can see the seat belts stay firmly attached to the roof / "B-pillars". IMO, a serious engineering/packaging downside to falcon wing doors (from an MPV perspective) is that Tesla have had to use the seats as the seatbelt anchor points :(

Lack of a flat floor, due to the RWD power train is also a big issue, if all you are after is practicality.

I came across an old article about the model x design. http://www.cardesignnews.com/articles/interior-motives/2013/spring/2013/05/interior-motives-spring-2013/

What I thought was interesting was that it "showed" how the second row seats look when folded.
ZMAG_IM_SPRING_13_TeslaModelX_2.jpg

User fengshui had asked what the slot in the front of the 2nd row pedestal was for. At least in this drawing it looks like it is for support--perhaps some kind of support strut. Thoughts? They did keep a fair amount of things same from the prototype to the sig design studio images (i.e. the front armrest/cupholders appear identical).

- - - Updated - - -

I came across an old article about the model x design. http://www.cardesignnews.com/articles/interior-motives/2013/spring/2013/05/interior-motives-spring-2013/

What I thought was interesting was that it "showed" how the second row seats look when folded.
ZMAG_IM_SPRING_13_TeslaModelX_2.jpg

User fengshui had asked what the slot in the front of the 2nd row pedestal was for. At least in this drawing it looks like it is for support--perhaps some kind of support strut. Thoughts? They did keep a fair amount of things same from the prototype to the sig design studio images (i.e. the front armrest/cupholders appear identical).

I know of two theories about what that slot portends. The slot is visible in the attached, manipulated image.

The first is that it allows the seat to translate forward and rotate on the pedestal by 20 degrees or so to facilitate access to the third row. This replicates the functionality seen in the front seat of any 2 door coupe.

But that doesn't make sense, when you consider 3 facts. First, it requires that no person be in that seat, or else they would be dumped out. Second, it leaves the pedestal exposed for the 3rd row occupants to trip on. Third, and much more importantly, it duplicates the translation function at the base of the pedestals. The pedestals clearly move forward and aft based on the cutout in the carpet floor. The seats will likely tilt as a unit but duplicating the for/aft translation in two locations is not efficient engineering, especially when you consider the loads that these mechanisms need to handle in such a constrained volume. So I think the seats will tilt but it will be the pedestal base that moves forward and aft to allow access to the third row, or give the 2nd row extra leg room.

That leads to the other theory for that slot, and in my mind the only viable theory. That slot is used to allow a strut to support the seat when the outer seats are rotated outward for easy ingress/egress. This rotation has been previously suggested by other sources, so this is not an original idea. However, the only reason, that I can think of, for that slot is to allow the movement of the "rotation strut".

Attachments

• 2nd Row Slot.jpg
    2nd Row Slot.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
Here is a video of the Model X reveal in 2012. Tesla Model X Reveal - YouTube Go to 20:11 to see what the prototype X seats look like from the rear folded down. It's probably likely that the production X is different, but at least you can see conceptually what it might look like. Also it's good to see the video again in the context of what Tesla has shown recently.

View attachment 93092

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 93092
Nice find...and pretty much how I wrote it might work many posts back. (Post 94 on this thread) [emoji4]

Yes, Laserbrain, I do believe you are right. It's just that people are aghast/can't believe Tesla would have built an SUV that compromises utility to the point of not being able to fold second row seats. Personally, I think Tesla does have foldable second row seats, but they just aren't ready yet and/or Elon decided that signature series won't get them (just as signature won't get the longer range, non performance motors).

It's quite possible that the upgraded seats offer the ability to rotate out instead of folding flat (trading convenience and comfort for storage utility). Also, perhaps signature owners will be given the option to downgrade their seats even though it doesn't appear on this very early configuration screen. We'll see.

Yes, Laserbrain, I do believe you are right. It's just that people are aghast/can't believe Tesla would have built an SUV that compromises utility to the point of not being able to fold second row seats. Personally, I think Tesla does have foldable second row seats, but they just aren't ready yet and/or Elon decided that signature series won't get them (just as signature won't get the longer range, non performance motors).

Wasn't the speculation that Eds was from the seat subcontractor?

And he claimed early Model Xs were compromised?

And Elon at GM/CC said getting the second row right was hard?

Adding 1+1+1...

Maybe the Signatures will have "lesser" seats compared to future Model X models? Or less functional seats up-designed a bit to make them feel more premium while lacking features?

Just silly speculation of course.

I guess that's POSSIBLE... but seems unlikely to me. I think that if the sigs only have the option of individually-moving seats, it's because Tesla considers them (like the Performance motor) to be top-tier premium items and that's what they want in their sigs.

I guess that's POSSIBLE... but seems unlikely to me. I think that if the sigs only have the option of individually-moving seats, it's because Tesla considers them (like the Performance motor) to be top-tier premium items and that's what they want in their sigs.
Agreed--The sigs need to be rolling advertisements. I seriously doubt they'd compromise the 2nd row seats since a major focus of this vehicle is access to and the utility from what's behind the driver.

It's quite possible that the upgraded seats offer the ability to rotate out instead of folding flat (trading convenience and comfort for storage utility). Also, perhaps signature owners will be given the option to downgrade their seats even though it doesn't appear on this very early configuration screen. We'll see.

But given the center seat and the lack of any space between outer and inner seat, how can it possibly rotate? Unless the outer seats slide out to the side before rotating, there's no room for the corner of the seat to clear the inner set.

Or move in a smooth arc, where it moves forward and rotates, like a quarter circle. If it were to move out first, it might block third row.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the top of the pedestal isn't fixed to the bottom of the seat, rather it's on a curved track similar to the fore/aft track on the floor. Tough to get it all strong enough, but that would create an interesting way to move the seat out of the way of someone getting in the third row.

Wasn't the speculation that Eds was from the seat subcontractor?
And he claimed early Model Xs were compromised?
And Elon at GM/CC said getting the second row right was hard?
Adding 1+1+1...
Maybe the Signatures will have "lesser" seats compared to future Model X models? Or less functional seats up-designed a bit to make them feel more premium while lacking features?
Just silly speculation of course.
Or they'll replace the second row as soon as they get the new ones in / figured out --- ala Model S performance seats