Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea of having the signature series with seats that were normal seats but simply didn't fold but then having folding seats on the standard production models seems very strange. Even if they had a seat that some people might want for some reason that didn't fold, I see no reason why a large number of signature owners wouldn't be really upset at having a non-folding second row. Is there a single competing SUV/CUV where the second row doesn't fold down? Even if it makes the second row more comfortable, I see that as a niche tradeoff versus cargo hauling (I'd have kids in the back seat in a booster anyway, so I don't think it would make a difference), sort of like the niche executive seat option in the S. What other advantage would there be? If I were a signature reservation holder I'd certainly want to confirm that before finalizing, and if that were really the case the signature reservation would disappear pronto. While all the theories as to what else the second row might do seem sort of far fetched, it seems like there must be something I'm not understanding, because the obvious explanation seems to me to be saying "Guess what, you payed more money for your X, but the normal X's will be a lot more useful."

While I agree with you gregincal about the 2nd row seats, I think being forced to getting the Performance version is a bigger issue, due to the reduced range. Getting a Signature Series vehicle with less range than a cheaper production vehicle is a bit serious IMO, especially to those people who want range over performance.

Since I mostly use our SUV to carry people, not cargo, I rather like the newer seats on pedestals because of the room beneath them for cargo. When we go on trips, this is where the kids' duffel bags, ipad & laptop bags, and other small cargo items get to ride. The bigger stuff gets to fit in the back.

I am reserving judgment until I see the capabilities of these seats, but I still anticipate needing my 2004 pickup for hauling messy cargo, so it won't be a big hit to me.

Since I mostly use our SUV to carry people, not cargo, I rather like the newer seats on pedestals because of the room beneath them for cargo. When we go on trips, this is where the kids' duffel bags, ipad & laptop bags, and other small cargo items get to ride. The bigger stuff gets to fit in the back.

This is a great counterpoint to the fold flat argument. We are in the same situation, and our MX is destined for some serious trips. In our MS, I hear a lot of complaining about foot room in the back (and in the passenger seat) for things that we like to access during the drive. Having all of that space under the seats could be a big win. And I'm getting married to the idea I posted earlier about moving that center seat forward to separate/block arguing kids. From time to time, and only as needed, of course! :smile:

Last edited:
While I agree with you gregincal about the 2nd row seats, I think being forced to getting the Performance version is a bigger issue, due to the reduced range. Getting a Signature Series vehicle with less range than a cheaper production vehicle is a bit serious IMO, especially to those people who want range over performance.

This is my position too. The email did say the second and third rows would fold flat, so I hope they come through on this, but right now the biggest thing stopping me from finishing configuration is being forced to pay 20k for a range hit.

This is a great counterpoint to the fold flat argument. We are in the same situation, and our MX is destined for some serious trips. In our MS, I hear a lot of complaining about foot room in the back (and in the passenger seat) for things that we like to access during the drive. Having all of that space under the seats could be a big win. And I'm getting married to the idea I posted earlier about moving that center seat forward to separate/block arguing kids. From time to time, and only as needed, of course! :smile:

Definitely pros and cons.

I often fold the middle row down in the old MPV, they make good tables. The kids actually like sitting in the back row in this configuration :)

Folding and pedestal aren't necessarily mutually exclusive for this, but I suspect pedestals and removable might be :( (this was really handy for MTB trips, collecting furniture etc.)

Compared to a classic minivan , personally the folding issue is just one of the practicality problems I see.

Maybe Tesla can build a FWD version with a truly flat floor at some point ;)

If I can't buy a Model X where the 2nd row seats become flat somehow, it's very unlikely that I will buy a Model X. If this is the case, I'd most likely cancel my reservation and stand by in march to be able to snag a signature Model 3.

But I don't believe that the standard seats don't fold, and I don't believe that Tesla hasn't made this aspect practical for signature buyers. If this is something Tesla has sacrificed, this is likely the biggest mistake Tesla has done to date.

the second row seats are probably only removable. That still gives you the ability to carry lots of cargo but you have to plan ahead and have somewhere to store the seats. that's already the way Honda does it in their minivan with the captain's chairs. Those are also the most comfortable second row seats I've been in as an adult in a minivan. The cargo space with the third row down and the second removed is bigger than a full sized SUV in an Odyssey.

Someone else mentioned folding seats and ventilated. Every car I've had with vented seats has only had the front row, not any of the passenger seats vented. Second row heating is starting to become more common but I doubt the X will have second or third row vented.

On our Acura MDX the X is replacing, the second row seats are down more then they are up. Tossing two bikes back there, garden purchases, stuff from Home Depot this is long etc. And don't get me started about the 5 times in 10 years we actually used the third row.

But it is the flexibility that makes an SUV a special type of car. The sig seats while nice, remove the capability of the car adapting to lots of different needs at a moments notice. That is what I am looking for in this type of vehicle.

For me its a not a problem since I am buried way down the reservation list. I can wait for Tesla to get all of this straightened out.

Yes indeed, I'm a signature reservation holder, and hopefully Tesla's bench seat supplier will start making those seats before my number comes up, otherwise, I'll be buying a non sig version.

Do we know that there's going to be a different second row seat option for the regular production vehicles? Is this something we're just assuming? Did I miss something?

Being electrically operated, and containing the seatbelts removal will be tough as they will be heavy, and somehow need disconnecting :(

The middle row in our Kia Sedona (an old model I use as a beater) even has small wheels on the bottom to help move them around. I can lift them, my wife can't.

that's probably one of the big features of the second row work of art seats. They are titanium and weight 5 pounds each.

Let me try again ... the Tesla rep may have been technically correct with 'don't fold flat'. That statement doesn't preclude 'will rotate flat'. You could still have full cargo space in the back, without those seats folding.

True - also there could be an additional option for seats besides the spooning, cuddling rotating and/or bending over of the rigid components.
I think the rear seats you got in the configurator say as an option for Signatures that they were 'independently operable' - maybe there is another option (baseline?) for seats that are not independently operable but behave more like a foldable bench, maybe 2/3 - 1/3.
I'm in wait and see mode but I'd be surprised if there was just no configuration whatsoever that would allow to move/fold them out of the way.

Being electrically operated, and containing the seatbelts removal will be tough as they will be heavy, and somehow need disconnecting :(

The middle row in our Kia Sedona (an old model I use as a beater) even has small wheels on the bottom to help move them around. I can lift them, my wife can't.
smac is on the mark here. The 2nd row (if real as depicted) will not be removable. Tesla won't allow you to disconnect the seatbelt structural attachments, even if it were easy, which it wouldn't be. This is not like any minivan middle row (like the Captain's chairs in an Odyssey) where the seatbelt is attached to the chassis. The seatbelt in the Sig 2nd row seats are integral to the seat.

They don't want the liability of you not reattaching the seat correctly. Envision a baby in the middle seat, then imagine the seat with baby firmly attached flying through the nice huge windshield in a crash. No, those seats are going to be permanently attached to that chassis. (They'll translate forward and aft, but not be removable.)

Given the right safety locks/indicators you could still remove them, our old Saab wagon had a red flag that showed whenever you didn't have the second row seat securely locked upright, since it had the seatbelts in the seat. However that does mean some extra engineering, but compared to the rotating and spooning options discussed it's still possible.

In my book, removable seats isn't an acceptable compromise. You need to be able to reconfigure the seats in 1 minute or less, or it's a significant step down in utility from my current station wagon. I also sometimes need to use the seats right after having moved something big, so the seats need to be in the car, preferably stowed out of the way.

Also, I agree that by the looks of the seats, they are not removable.