Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the X fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EnzoXYZ

Aug 11, 2016
Chicago
Wife only wants a X and dislikes the S/3 for the size. Well to be honest she isn’t all that into Tesla and it’s due to me talking about anything Tesla nonstop. Our other car is a Lexus GX and it doesn’t fit under my spot. My car (A8L) just got totaled by the insurance therefore a chance to finally get a Tesla. Been a long time investor and believer so need to see how to make it fit. The issue where I usually park is it has a storage top. We got the house last year and did an extensive renovations and I added two 50A 220v outlets to ‘future proof’ our garage (opposite end of the garage door).

My spot in the garage is 9’x21’ and the storage top is 7’x9’ with 6’2” clearance. Anyone know if any of the X’s FWD will open in my constraints? Attached couple of photos for reference:
DA0F856C-25E0-423E-B0B5-89DB0A4E2166.jpeg

AB0A66DC-DAA3-472A-97A6-4A75738C04FA.jpeg

Wife only wants a X and dislikes the S/3 for the size. Well to be honest she isn’t all that into Tesla and it’s due to me talking about anything Tesla nonstop. Our other car is a Lexus GX and it doesn’t fit under my spot. My car (A8L) just got totaled by the insurance therefore a chance to finally get a Tesla. Been a long time investor and believer so need to see how to make it fit. The issue where I usually park is it has a storage top. We got the house last year and did an extensive renovations and I added two 50A 220v outlets to ‘future proof’ our garage (opposite end of the garage door).

My spot in the garage is 9’x21’ and the storage top is 7’x9’ with 6’2” clearance. Anyone know if any of the X’s FWD will open in my constraints? Attached couple of photos for reference:
View attachment 339976
View attachment 339975

Pulling in head first..you'll be fine.

So I'm going to be not so precise here since I don't have my measuring tape handy and I'm going off of measurements I have committed to memory; so they may or may not be entirely correct...

If you have 21' minus 9' for the overhang, you're left with 12' of non-covered parking. Assuming you leave 2 feet behind the car, that's 10' of non-overhang available to you. You need just under 8' between the rear bumper and the door to clear. Leaving you with about a foot behind and a foot in front of the door for it to be as if you didn't have the overhang.
rakesh-agrawal-on-twitter-elonmusk-model-x-dimensions.jpg

With that said, you only need 7.5' to fully open the doors. At 6'2" your door will still open, just not all the way. So worse case you pull up too far and you have to open the door; the sensors should pick up the overhang and restrict the opening height.

images

6.2' is the clearance of the storage top right? It is probably okay if you head in. You cannot back in for sure, but your outlet is by the garage door so you would want to head in anyway. The FWD should open, it needs very little room. My garage is super tight too and much more messy than yours:

model_x_fwd.jpg

Reactions: P85_DA and Bogobec
You're good. The hood and the first row / windshield take a length of about 8.5 feet, so assuming you pull in your garage forward, the front half of the car will fit under your storage nicely. Platform is only 7 feet long so you can even park all the way in, and your FWD clearance won't even overlap with your storage platform. Only thing you have to check now is whether your garage main ceiling and garage door rails are high enough to allow for the FWD to open all the way (or part way).

We requested a 24 hour test drive just to make sure the car fits in the garage. So best bet is you do the same just to make sure you're comfortable with the size. Its still different when you can see what it looks like inside the garage even if it fits on paper.

Wow great help guys!
Some of you are working with even tighter fit than I am so it’s reassuring to me. I was hoping to back in the car so I can have minimal cord on the ground. Looks like if I pull straight in I’ll need to have the cord hang by my vacuum.
I have a 4 and 7 year old children so maybe they don’t need the full wing open to get out? By the time they get older hopefully the wife will get a Tesla also.

Wow great help guys!
Some of you are working with even tighter fit than I am so it’s reassuring to me. I was hoping to back in the car so I can have minimal cord on the ground. Looks like if I pull straight in I’ll need to have the cord hang by my vacuum.
I have a 4 and 7 year old children so maybe they don’t need the full wing open to get out? By the time they get older hopefully the wife will get a Tesla also.
If you pull straight in, easier to access rear hatch.

Wow great help guys!

Did you already run the HPWC? You could also have it wired towards the garage door. I’d actually recommend that with a 20’ cord just in case your door ever breaks or you end up with an additional Tesla