Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this 12V lead acid battery work for OEM replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct, we did not, and I guess we experienced that "suicide drain". As mentioned in my response to Android04, we got the battery recharged, then followed the service manual steps, but it did not re-set the alerts. Is that something a Tesla technician has to do, or is it supposed to happen when you disconnect the connection to the high voltage battery? Thanks you for responding.
The procedures in the Tesla Do It Yourself page are meant for anybody to do, but even the procedures in the Service Manual for changing the 12v battery do not require anything specific that only a service technician has or knows how to do. So you don't need service unless there is something else that failed in the car.

I realized that my summary of steps that I posted earlier I actually in the wrong order, and could be the reason why the error messages did not clear if you followed them exactly. After doing a Power Off in the vehicle controls wait a few minutes. The disconnect the negative battery terminal. Then unplug the connector under the rear seat and wait another 2 minutes. When reconnecting the new/recharged battery, first you want to reconnect the harness under the rear seat and then the 12v battery terminal.

Reactions: Perscitus
Will this ECO Worthy battery work for Tesla model 3?

I really like Duracell car batteries. I'm not interested in lithium based 12V batteries, just a simple replacement 12V lead acid battery since it seems difficult if not impossible to find Tesla OEM batteries outside of Tesla. Can you buy OEM lead acid batteries directly from Tesla outside of the warranty?

This is my 12V OEM battery: ATLASBX, 85B24LS, 45AH (20HR). Can you buy this particular battery at or outside of Tesla? It's so easy to replace car batteries, why is it seem so hard to find or buy the exact replacement battery?

Peter
Yes. I just had mine replaced by Tesla. ( 2019 model 3, with mileage under 6000) Your battery is over $ 200. I was charged $85 plus a small labor fee to have it installed.

For someone who doesn't understand batteries, it's not easy to figure out what batteries will work without going through Tesla. BTW, I have an appointment today to get the 12V replaced. $316. I guess the days of the cheap batter replacement are over. It's out of warranty. 2019 Model 3 with 67k miles. I would do it myself, but I can't find any clear posts that simply say "as long as the battery has x and y, it'll work".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
For someone who doesn't understand batteries, it's not easy to figure out what batteries will work without going through Tesla. BTW, I have an appointment today to get the 12V replaced. $316. I guess the days of the cheap batter replacement are over. It's out of warranty. 2019 Model 3 with 67k miles. I would do it myself, but I can't find any clear posts that simply say "as long as the battery has x and y, it'll work".
The specifications say a battery with 33Ah. The factory Atlas has 45AH and has 625CCA lead acid (not an AGM). Advance Auto has the Diehards and any 51R size works and exceeds the 33Ah rating. Advance Auto has an AGM battery for the Model 3 a DiehardEV B24L and is 41Ah 410 CCA and works fine as well. O'Reilly Auto Parts has a 51R AGM for Model 3 51RTPLT. Check warranties. More advanced batteries have 3 years.

Correction. The estimate includes $210 for a diagnostic. I asked about it and he said I'd only pay for the portion of the diagnostic that applies. It'll be much less that $210. Seems a little odd, but ok.
Diagnostic is fine. Probably checking to see if the DC-DC converter (like an alternator in a ICE car) is working properly. Most likely its just a battery with age. Not to be confused with the main batteries that power the drive motors.

So the
The specifications say a battery with 33Ah. The factory Atlas has 45AH and has 625CCA lead acid (not an AGM). Advance Auto has the Diehards and any 51R size works and exceeds the 33Ah rating. Advance Auto has an AGM battery for the Model 3 a DiehardEV B24L and is 41Ah 410 CCA and works fine as well. O'Reilly Auto Parts has a 51R AGM for Model 3 51RTPLT. Check warranties. More advanced batteries have 3 years.
So the ultimate answer for a Model 3 before 2022.3 is 1) 33Ah minimum, and 2) 51R for the size. Is that correct? And either lead acid or AGM works. Lead acid is what Tesla uses, but AGM also works (I have not idea what AGM means, but I'm ok with that). I'm guessing Cold Crank Amps is irrelevant for an EV. (Yes, I had too google CCA). Thanks for the info!!

So the

So the ultimate answer for a Model 3 before 2022.3 is 1) 33Ah minimum, and 2) 51R for the size. Is that correct? And either lead acid or AGM works. Lead acid is what Tesla uses, but AGM also works (I have not idea what AGM means, but I'm ok with that). I'm guessing Cold Crank Amps is irrelevant for an EV. (Yes, I had too google CCA). Thanks for the info!!
For clarity it is a MINIMUM if 33Ah. AGM is advanced glass mat where the acid is suspended on the plates in the battery. Reading some publications I believe will say lead acid works best in extreme temperatures although even there the acid can freeze but that would be arctic conditions. The battery needs to be strong enough to wake the car and carry transitory loads. When you say "before 2022.3" I assume you mean March 2022 not software 2022.3. Later Model 3's are now powered like the Y with a lithium battery and a slightly redesigned electrical system. On your software page in the car, you can select additional vehicle information highlighted in blue to see what is installed. If you have a 2019 and have made no battery purchases you have the Atlas.

Correction. The estimate includes $210 for a diagnostic. I asked about it and he said I'd only pay for the portion of the diagnostic that applies. It'll be much less that $210. Seems a little odd, but ok.
Odd. As an alternative, you should be able to buy the battery from them. That still looks to be the best deal.

I’d be a bit afraid of a diag “that maybe cheaper”.

I just replaced my 2019 Tesla Model 3 base with Costco Interstate 51R battery a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to plug my car and drained to 0%. All errors came up to my screen and found out that the 12v had been drained as well. Tried to jumpstart the 12v battery and eventually was able to charge my car but errors still up. Then decided to replace the 12v battery. All errors gone. I don't encountered any problems or errors with using Interstate Battery yet. Yes, no vent on Interstate battery but it hasn't created any issues so far. ****But will update. Hope this one helps.

Reactions: K3vin11
I just replaced my 2019 Tesla Model 3 base with Costco Interstate 51R battery a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to plug my car and drained to 0%. All errors came up to my screen and found out that the 12v had been drained as well. Tried to jumpstart the 12v battery and eventually was able to charge my car but errors still up. Then decided to replace the 12v battery. All errors gone. I don't encountered any problems or errors with using Interstate Battery yet. Yes, no vent on Interstate battery but it hasn't created any issues so far. ****But will update. Hope this one helps.
The 51R interstate is good. The only spec. is a battery needs to be above 33Ah. Any 51R is. Leaving sentry mode on iff not needed will drain things. The car should start shutting things off below 20% while parked. If the car was at "0%" AND the 12 volt dead, I would make a service request. If access to the frunk I would remove the 51R charge it up test that it is working then reinstall and charge the car. Service mode access can assist if any issues.

Jan 2024 got the alert on my 2019 Mod3 (little over 4 yrs old) to "Schedule Service to replace 12V battery." I called the closest Tesla Service Center to me (Warminster PA) that is over 2 hrs away (ugh!) and was able to speak with a real person. They said mobile service is available for the same price as drive in service, $115 to replace the bat. Earliest I could schedule a mobile serv appt was 5 weeks out and they said based on the alert message that's no problem. Before I found out about the mobile service option, I was going nuts researching where to buy a battery locally to install myself and all options were more than $115. Local 51R lead acid bats did not have vent plugs and Mod3 AGM EV bats were ~$270. Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: derotam and Rocky_H