Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will UK FSD price go up 01/09/20?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered in june before the price hike of FSD to £6,800... now my car is delayed and the delivery team suggested waiting an extra day to get the new plate (doesn’t bother me) but future value / moving on from ‘20’ which hasn’t been a lucky number so far... I’m ok with.

BUT.... is there a chance Tesla might increase the cost of FSD again? Or is that an annual event?

Any insights from the community on this one? :confused:

It’s unlikely, as Musk normally makes quite a show of telling people that it’s going to go up. Also as you’ve already ordered the price would be whatever it was at the point of order :)

thanks! Noticed he was making a big show about an upgrade and capabilities which had me worried...

Price wise - I really wish I had ordered it in June but need to keep price under £50k for my 0% loan on it, and the grant, and I prioritised range over fancy stuff like colour/white seats/FSD

Fingers crossed it doesn’t go up and on the 2nd sept I can upgrade it and try out new things I didn’t have on day 1 of the car (the geek in me thinks how cool is that!) but there is also a sensible part of me that says ‘try the car without it you don’t need it.... ‘ and waiting calms both voices!

Try the car without it.

Summon is a neat party trick but that’s pretty much all it is. You have to be within literal touching distance of the car in the EU for it to work at all, which negates it’s purpose somewhat. Don’t be seduced by Americans posting videos of their car driving across the car park to them, in the UK Summon is totally different. It is slow, skittish, often unreliable. I use it to move the car backwards and forwards when washing it, if I don’t have enough room, and that’s it.

Auto park? I’ve never seen the button come up on screen. From what I’ve seen when it does work it is pretty ineffectual, and is regarding as being noticeably inferior to other cars that nailed it years ago. The sort of spaces it might reverse you in to (I’ve heard it will only do it between two vehicles) might not even be ones you’d want to leave the car parked in.

Navigate on AP. This actually works well in my experience, but my experience is limited. If you’re doing a lot of motorway miles then this might be enough to sell FSD to you.

The above said Elon has been saying that a ground up rewrite of FSD is coming within several weeks. He does have form for these statements, but despite that they do create a FOMO feeling in people. If he’s right, and it’s not gimped in the EU, it could make FSD a much more attractive thing. It’s a big “if” though.

BUT.... is there a chance Tesla might increase the cost of FSD again?

It will if you change the spec of the car, or there is a price adjustment, irrespective of whether FSD rises or not.

You are befitting from the discount, so anything that causes the order to be revalued, including a base price adjustment, will cause the then current book prise of FSD to be used.

The good news is that if due to a price adjustment, historically Tesla will honour the lesser total order price of original order or new revalued order. But hidden in that price adjustment will be an increase in FSD price to current book price so you will not benefit from the whole price adjustment if it goes down.

Also, you have to base the cost on the number of years you plan to own the car as FSD will disappear when you sell it\ trade it in.

Having to effectively repay the software licence on future new cars is a major turn off for me.
Once we hit 2 years and there are a few more cars on the market it will be interesting to see how much FSD adds to the price of a second hand M3. I am guessing its not an option that will hold its price well.
I suppose there is data from the used S/X market that could tell us?
personally I would say that if you have any interest in it spend the money on Tesla shares. if its as good as Elon says it will be the rise should more than cover any future price increases and you can buy it for the car you own when it actually works and is legal. if not you will probably still lose less on the shares than a current FSD purchase anyway.

Hands-free driving could soon be a possibility as consultation opens

So consultation BEGINS in the UK.....How many years before FSD will be workable in the UK?.. unless every roundabout here is fitted with traffic lights I fail to see how that and other things can be implemented .Would not be surprised if Dido Harding was put in charge after she fails with her latest task.

still,at least we can move the car from an app while stood beside it..A fabulous thing but not quite FSD.

Don’t get me wrong,I love my Tesla ,but we have all had the brakes slam on,indicate off of a motorway when you want to go straight ,see a shadow as a car etc etc

Also, you have to base the cost on the number of years you plan to own the car as FSD will disappear when you sell it\ trade it in.

Having to effectively repay the software licence on future new cars is a major turn off for me.

Exactly! There’s no way I’m paying that amount of money for a car I’m only going to keep for three years, especially as FSD currently has very limited additional functionality. It’s a software upgrade and I would only consider it if I can buy the software license to keep.

BUT.... is there a chance Tesla might increase the cost of FSD again? Or is that an annual event?

If you are buying it as part of the car you will pay the price from when you ordered, prices change all the time and this is what's happened (only exception being when the price comes down).

It would seem that people who choose not to buy FSD are very keen to tell other people the same. Yes it's expensive, it was under £5K when I bought mine 3 years ago and is just going to get more expensive. I bought this car for the tech, there was no way that would exclude the full set of features. I use it lots, lane change on the motorway is a huge benefit, makes a difference on a long journey, really makes the difference between getting home after working away or staying in some grotty hotel. I use summon quite a bit to move it around on the drive when I'm washing it.

Also FSD does not 'disappear' when you sell the car. It will stay with the car for future drivers unless you PX it to Tesla, sometimes they remove the option if it suits their cost model. That doesn't apply to selling it anywhere else. It is however an option, and like all cars your specific choice of options makes pretty little difference. It'll be interesting to see in a couple of years time.

Reactions: KennethS
If you are buying it as part of the car you will pay the price from when you ordered, prices change all the time and this is what's happened (only exception being when the price comes down).

It would seem that people who choose not to buy FSD are very keen to tell other people the same. Yes it's expensive, it was under £5K when I bought mine 3 years ago and is just going to get more expensive. I bought this car for the tech, there was no way that would exclude the full set of features. I use it lots, lane change on the motorway is a huge benefit, makes a difference on a long journey, really makes the difference between getting home after working away or staying in some grotty hotel. I use summon quite a bit to move it around on the drive when I'm washing it.

Also FSD does not 'disappear' when you sell the car. It will stay with the car for future drivers unless you PX it to Tesla, sometimes they remove the option if it suits their cost model. That doesn't apply to selling it anywhere else. It is however an option, and like all cars your specific choice of options makes pretty little difference. It'll be interesting to see in a couple of years time.

It probably represented a 5% increase in the price of the car you bought and how long will you keep it? most sales now are M3's where it probably represents a 14-17% uplift. Most of the cars sold will be on lease or PCP these days of between 2-4 years with little realistic option to extend. And even if you buy privately you will not get much back from Tesla or anyone else if you sell
So The value proposition for most people is just not there given what it can do or will likely do over that period.

As many have said if I was a personal purchase that could then be applied to any one car that the person owned in future then that would be a whole different issue.

Reactions: Yev000
Just drove in France and FSD would have been nice to overtake without disengaging. Other than that it's not worth it currently.

AP basically cant function on tight bends in Europe as the autosteer is limited. It also does not slow down nearly enough for bends. And AP/TACC brakes way too much when overtaking (tries to keep your x seconds setting while partially out of the lane - which means you have to initiate overtake way back, or override with pedal manually, or join overtake lane at slow speed)

Don't get me wrong, AP (and FSD) is way better than the competition, but what you get for free with AP is 80% of the FSD function.

Elon keeps tweeitng about a re-write, which will hit some time next year probably. If AP will slow down for turns and has no autosteer limit then I might start considering it. And honestly... I'd rather pay £300 or whatever to have it on a holiday than buy it.

AP is just most of the value of FSD right now.

ost of the cars sold will be on lease or PCP these days of between 2-4 years with little realistic option to extend.

Yeah and back when it was £5k it was still something like £100+ a month extra. At some point you have to question if you couldnt just take a taxi occasionally instead...

If it stayed with your account, not the car, then it's a no brainer.

Reactions: ElRey
The value proposition for most people is just not there given what it can do or will likely do over that period..

That's very much an opinion rather than fact, peoples circumstances and priorities are not all the same. Yes it's expensive, but so are lots of things. I don't have a Rolex for £3K as my phone shows the time, that doesn't seem to mean that no one buys fancy watches.

I would buy it again, and I would suggest that many others would also. I would suggest people buy it based on what it delivers right now rather than prediction for the future, that way it's a nice surprise if it adds value.

Reactions: KennethS