Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will V3 Crush CPO MS Prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. I’ve made the decision to buy an EV. My budget is $52K. The Model 3 is great but for the limited cargo space. The Model Y, with sufficient cargo, realistically is 18 months away. I want the car in the next 6 months. Which brings me to a CPO Model S.

E.g a late 2016 75D under 50k miles. I see a lot of posts about what others have paid them for. However, watching the Tesla CPO site for the last few weeks, sales have slowed. In fact, in my area all those cars are still there.

After weighing everything up, I find myself hesitating at a purchase too. Why? V3 Supercharging. 180miles in 15 min. It seems such a big leap. Has it dated CPO MSs? I mean – really, really dated them? Are we about to see a big price drop? I’ve always dreamed of owning a MS but, given the new tech, I’m having trouble knowing what to do next.

Interested in your thoughts. It will help me and others who want an EV (MS) but do not want to make a significant mistake.

Lots of variables to consider. You mentioned as an example a 2016 S. That particular S would have “lifetime of the car” free Supercharging which ended in mid-2017. That would make a sweet buy for anyone who relies on Supercharging for daily needs.

Of course it will charge slower, but free would trump faster for lots of buyers.

I forgot to add you would need to buy that car from a third party to inherit the lifetime of the car benefit. I believe Tesla recently stripped that nice benefit from second hand cars they sell. Another variable!

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Seems like your best approach would be to buy a used Model S and then replace it with a new Model Y in about 2.5 years, once the production for Model Y has settled down and the various configurations have stabilized.

So buy a used Model S which would probably still under battery warranty when you sell it.

Don't worry about V3 Supercharging, because you won't see a major impact before you rollover to the Model Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Many thanks for your feedback, all.

Tesla removing free supercharging from eligible CPO cars last week did weaken the case to buy. But, yes, good advice to buy with the aim of replacing in 2.5 years. I just need to guess at the level of depreciation and if that's worth it. Many thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: jmaddr
Many thanks for your feedback, all.

Tesla removing free supercharging from eligible CPO cars last week did weaken the case to buy. But, yes, good advice to buy with the aim of replacing in 2.5 years. I just need to guess at the level of depreciation and if that's worth it. Many thanks.

BTW: That only applies to used cars bought directly from Tesla. They are not the only source, and if you might be able to take advantage of free charging then it'll push you to other sales channels.

Motor Trend did repeated tests that show V3 supercharging isn't that much faster and definitely should be a very minor factor in a purchase decision.

If you read the whole article, in the end they are finally able to replicate all of Tesla's claimed numbers. It's a lot faster, depending on what you're measuring more than 2x faster even.

That being said supercharging is not a massive concern to the private market. I can't imagine it crushing market value too much.

Reactions: maximizese
V1 V2 V3 FUSC - none of it makes a hill of beans difference. I drive 35k-40k miles a year and charger at home every night for my commute. SC has importance to those in a condo or apartment for for house dwellers SC has negligible affects on our decision for purchase or upgrade.

Hello All. I’ve made the decision to buy an EV. My budget is $52K. The Model 3 is great but for the limited cargo space. The Model Y, with sufficient cargo, realistically is 18 months away. I want the car in the next 6 months. Which brings me to a CPO Model S.

E.g a late 2016 75D under 50k miles. I see a lot of posts about what others have paid them for. However, watching the Tesla CPO site for the last few weeks, sales have slowed. In fact, in my area all those cars are still there.

After weighing everything up, I find myself hesitating at a purchase too. Why? V3 Supercharging. 180miles in 15 min. It seems such a big leap. Has it dated CPO MSs? I mean – really, really dated them? Are we about to see a big price drop? I’ve always dreamed of owning a MS but, given the new tech, I’m having trouble knowing what to do next.

Interested in your thoughts. It will help me and others who want an EV (MS) but do not want to make a significant mistake.
Most people don't care. I hardly ever use supercharging as it is. This is more in the realm of Tesla nerdery.

V1 V2 V3 FUSC - none of it makes a hill of beans difference. I drive 35k-40k miles a year and charger at home every night for my commute. SC has importance to those in a condo or apartment for for house dwellers SC has negligible affects on our decision for purchase or upgrade.

Yes Supercharging seems important to condo/apt dwellers without easy access to a L2 charger. For many of us, Supercharging only serves us on road-trips...or in my case, when my city was replacing the sidewalk. I could not use my driveway for 10 days and my local Supercharger was very helpful.

Reactions: boonedocks
I'm in an S60. If I plan my drives the wait time doesn't bother me. If I need to go the long distance in the shortest amount of time (urgent) I'll use a gas car. Given that, 99% of the time I'm driving the Tesla. Stopping at the charger isn't really a hassle. Even at the 'slow' speeds I encounter it's still pretty fast.

A word about free supercharging on third party vehicles. Starting July 19 a new policy was rolled out that may affect third party sales. An buyer went to transfer an FUSC car into his Tesla account. He noticed he received 400kw free per year. He protested by noting he bought the car before the July 19 change and they gave the FUSC back to his account. Caveat emptor

No more free unlimited supercharging for Tesla used vehicles

I'm in an S60. If I plan my drives the wait time doesn't bother me. If I need to go the long distance in the shortest amount of time (urgent) I'll use a gas car. Given that, 99% of the time I'm driving the Tesla. Stopping at the charger isn't really a hassle. Even at the 'slow' speeds I encounter it's still pretty fast.

A word about free supercharging on third party vehicles. Starting July 19 a new policy was rolled out that may affect third party sales. An buyer went to transfer an FUSC car into his Tesla account. He noticed he received 400kw free per year. He protested by noting he bought the car before the July 19 change and they gave the FUSC back to his account. Caveat emptor

No more free unlimited supercharging for Tesla used vehicles
No more free unlimited supercharging for cars SOLD BY TESLA USED FROM THE TESLA WEBSITE.

This is a very important distinction that needs to be made before people start assuming ALL cars sold no longer have it. I now have two and if I sell one to someone else it still transfers unlimited free supercharging for life. Only used cars sold BY TESLA lose this feature.

First they did away with the CPO program and now this... my used Model S's just keep going up in value.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
Supercharging V1, V2, V3 has little to no impact on valuations or sales price. Majority of buyers don't use superchargers frequently enough to care. The $0.28/kWh rates even (if you pay out of pocket) are still a bit cheaper than premium gas on a luxury car. Even the free unlimited supercharging holds marginal value to most buyers.

Really No-AP, AP1, or AP2 is the single largest driving factor that determines used car values with the Model S.

If you plan on using superchargers often, then you should look at getting a used private party Model S with FUSC. Driving for a few years and get a Model Y down the road.