Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be able to sleep in the back of a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
624ad89b95c9bea8675438a4ca17f208052dc55917bebf0db8e00170d78da560_1.jpg

Elon did mention a 7 foot surfboard would fit. As other have mentioned I suspect the height differences will make for a lumpy bed.

I can fit several 16 foot lengths of pvc, 12 foot lengths of dimensional lumber, and a full suite of lawn equipment (push mower, trimmer, blower, shovel, rake, gas, grimmer line, ect...) inside my smaller saturn ion, but I cannot comfortably sleep in the back.

Always seems like a brilliant idea. Why pay a few bucks for a hotel room when you can sleep in the car? I used to do something similar in the back of my GTI back in the day, but never for more than 30 minutes. But really, ok you save some cash on a cheap motel room, but now you can't wash up, go to the bathroom, etc... What's the attraction for people who can afford to buy a car?

I'll give you my reason why this would be a good idea. I can afford the car, I can even afford hotels, but now three times a year I have to drive 4 hours to a place with no superchargers (but destination chargers) to drop off, then pick up (6 trips total) my daughter from her visitation with her sperm donor. cheap hotels to me are under $60 a night, and this wouldn't bother me. Where we have to drive to, a "cheap" hotel is more in the $150 a night range because it's a vacation hotspot. with an ice car, I could either drive there in the morning and back in the afternoon, or just stay an hour or so away where the rates are reasonable, but with the model 3, you have to plan where you end up according to where the chargers are, and this is where they are. now, I could just take my ice car there, but I'm buying the M3 so I can drive the electric car whenever possible, especially these 4 hour trips

Reactions: Booga
I can fit several 16 foot lengths of pvc, 12 foot lengths of dimensional lumber, and a full suite of lawn equipment (push mower, trimmer, blower, shovel, rake, gas, grimmer line, ect...) inside my smaller saturn ion, but I cannot comfortably sleep in the back.

I'll give you my reason why this would be a good idea. I can afford the car, I can even afford hotels, but now three times a year I have to drive 4 hours to a place with no superchargers (but destination chargers) to drop off, then pick up (6 trips total) my daughter from her visitation with her sperm donor. cheap hotels to me are under $60 a night, and this wouldn't bother me. Where we have to drive to, a "cheap" hotel is more in the $150 a night range because it's a vacation hotspot. with an ice car, I could either drive there in the morning and back in the afternoon, or just stay an hour or so away where the rates are reasonable, but with the model 3, you have to plan where you end up according to where the chargers are, and this is where they are. now, I could just take my ice car there, but I'm buying the M3 so I can drive the electric car whenever possible, especially these 4 hour trips

Classy.

I wonder how quickly the PC thought police would jump on references to a child's mother as the "egg donor".

I also noted how quickly you jumped on someone who pointed out that EM says a 7 foot surfboard fits in the back of the Model 3 and how that's no guarantee it will "sleep comfortably".

So how exactly would anyone here know if the Model 3 can be slept in comfortably? Maybe that's a question that you would ask a YEAR or so after people begin driving them when someone has to go the hobo route in their expensive luxury sedan.

Last edited:
I can see this making sense, for some, sometimes. The obvious difference with an ICE is that you can keep airco or heating on all night without a risk of asphyxiation; just put a (heavy enough) weekender bag in the driver's seat to make sure the airco stays on :). Makes sense to do this near a SuperCharger so you can top up again in the morning - I would suggest not sleeping (or at least not more than an hour) connected to a SuperCharger, as that wouldn't be a very elegant way to use a SuperCharger :rolleyes:

Classy.

I wonder how quickly the PC thought police would jump on references to a child's mother as the "egg donor".

I also noted how quickly you jumped on someone who pointed out that EM says a 7 foot surfboard fits in the back of the Model 3 and how that's no guarantee it will "sleep comfortably".

So how exactly would anyone here know if the Model 3 can be slept in comfortably? Maybe that's a question that you would ask a YEAR or so after people begin driving them when someone has to go the hobo route in their expensive luxury sedan.

incubator is more appropriate, and I use both terms with equal disdain for parents who have a child to try to control the other person, or really any other reason besides loving that child.

Not trying to jump on anyone, just making a point. In my car's case, the limited height between the floor of the trunk and the bottom of the "package tray" (that's illegal to place anything on because in a front end collision it then becomes a missile headed for your head, but i digress). Interior space never guarantees comfort in any way, but especially when using the car to sleep on folded rear seats, which it isn't likely the car will be engineered for this purpose.

This would certainly be a happy coincidence if this worked in this car, though, because my actual point was that sometimes where the destination or superchargers end up in your trip don't line up with affordable lodging. Of coarse, though, as you point out, the time to ask this is at the earliest after plenty of people get a chance to see a M3 in person. this is another case for a rear hatch or lack of a permanent package tray, though.

We camp in our Volt frequently. The Volt-ebago: Car camping made easy

Electric A/V and a solid roof is better than a tent any day of the week!
That is so cool. Well done and thank you for posting about it. I camp out regularly, though the one time I tried it in my car, it was actually better than a tent and didn't require any setup/takedown time. I am likely to do it in the future given all the benefits you've mentioned.