Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Willing to Wait (How Long)??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem is, I'll need a car by early 2018 at the latest so I'm not in the club who can wait three years. I like the technology of the M3 but don't really care about the global warming crap so I don't care if I buy an ICE vehicle, but I really like the M3 and hope to make the early cut for delivery. :mad:

Why is it that Teslas that listed for almost $100K are going for half that or slightly more only 2-4 years later? I'm seeing 40-50K depreciation....could that be right?

Ski

Yes, it's right. Expensive cars depreciate just like inexpensive ones. In fact, sometimes more dramatically. There's nothing magical about these cars in that regard.

The S and X are going to be very expensive to maintain post warranty. There is no DIY centric parts and repair availability. Since most are still under factory warranty or extended warranty, we will now just start to see the impact of this.

What will be interesting is the mass marketed Model 3. Are those buyers going to be willing to use the dealer for service, parts, and routine maintenance for the life span of the vehicle? Different economic base, different attitude.

Last edited:
This wait is excruciating.....lol. So.....based on my thread title. I have come to the realization that I am not sure myself how long I am willing to wait for the Model 3.

And here is the crux of Teslas biggest problem. ^ This ^. The $1,000 reservation attracted a lot of people drawn into the hype. $1,000 isn't a lot of skin. I heard early predictions of 10% - maybe 20% refund requests. I actually now believe this will be much higher. 40% - 50% when 2018 rolls around. Early adopters are radically different than casual buyers. The "I can't wait for it, I need a new car now" threads will grow.

OP, I'm not picking on you. I'm simply illustrating that you are in the majority, not the minority of reservation holders. I'm opposite. I'd actually like a later delivery, with 200K in front of me to shake out inevitable quality issues a new model, new production processes, and new technology brings.

It will be very interesting.

I'm willing to wait until I need to replace my current car. If the 3 is here before, perfect, but if not I will find something else.

I don't specifically want a Tesla, I want an EV with good performances and range. In a couple of years there will be some alternatives.

And here is the crux of Teslas biggest problem. ^ This ^. The $1,000 reservation attracted a lot of people drawn into the hype. $1,000 isn't a lot of skin. I heard early predictions of 10% - maybe 20% refund requests. I actually now believe this will be much higher. 40% - 50% when 2018 rolls around. Early adopters are radically different than casual buyers. The "I can't wait for it, I need a new car now" threads will grow.

OP, I'm not picking on you. I'm simply illustrating that you are in the majority, not the minority of reservation holders. I'm opposite. I'd actually like a later delivery, with 200K in front of me to shake out inevitable quality issues a new model, new production processes, and new technology brings.

It will be very interesting.
All these doubts go away if Tesla delivers on their promise of 500,000 cars annually by 2018. All the reservationists have their cars, the public is juiced up about this great new electric vehicle, production meets demand...everyone is happy.

Of course doubters have their time table scenario as well. I choose to stay positive and expect that things will progress as stated from Elon and the rest of the Tesla team.

Dan

Reactions: Jayc
In my case the only deadline I am up against is the fact that my youngest son will be driving next March and will need transportation a year later. Plans are for him to get the Volt that I am currently driving to be replaced by my Model 3. Like all other things in life, we will bend with the wind as life throws curve balls our way. Hopefully, one of those won't be problems with the Model 3 role out. I have every confidence that Tesla will deliver an incredible car on time and on budget.

Dan

In my case the only deadline I am up against is the fact that my youngest son will be driving next March and will need transportation a year later. Plans are for him to get the Volt that I am currently driving to be replaced by my Model 3. Like all other things in life, we will bend with the wind as life throws curve balls our way. Hopefully, one of those won't be problems with the Model 3 role out. I have every confidence that Tesla will deliver an incredible car on time and on budget.

Dan
My daughter is lobbying for the Spit this summer. She's noticed the attention that comes her way when she's out driving it, mainly from boys. That's why she'll get the Prius.
Robin

Wood paneled station wagon for the win.
My dad bought a twelve year old 1976 Plymouth Volare station wagon with the fake wood paneling when I was first learning how to drive. But I was happy, because it had one hell of a back seat. :D
1976-plymouth-volare-premier-wagon.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jsanford and JeffK