Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise issues near the triangle area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of things going on on another thread. We're talking about different kinds of wind noise.

I do believe most of the problems, though, come from the triangular piece on the doors. The RPM Tesla spline won't do anything to it.

Noise coming from that area can come from a bad windshield installation or something else.

I took my car last week to the service center. and they identified the noise come from that area. They replaced the windshield. To my dismay, the car immediately did the noise again at 55+ mph. So I'll be taking it again to service when they have the parts ready for other fixes they have to do (misplaced chrome on rear right door causes gaps and it makes the door hard to close - need a part to replace chrome, and trunk liner creased - need another one).

However, I've read several stories online, and contacted many of the OPs directly, and it seems that Tesla is having a hard time figuring it out when the problem is not the windshield, but "something else." Most of them seem to have given up on getting it fixed.

So, my request (question?) here is - if you have your wind noise fixed, in the triangular area, and not by replacing the windshield, what did you do?

(edit: accidentally posted it too early. Thread title should be: Wind noise issues on the triangular corner at the window).

Filling the open forward end of the over-the-window chrome trim did make a significant impact on wind noise in my case. Replacing the “mirror appliqués” had a minor but appreciated impact. I have tried covering/filling other nearby areas without effect, so far.

• Informative
Reactions: chracatoa
Update: took the car back to service this week. They replaced the windshield again. When I was going to pick it up, the noise was still there. They're keeping the car another day or so to try to figure it out.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if the problem is perhaps located at the mirror assembly. Here's a post about wind noise, but in this case in a BMW. It has a similar side mirror design. They also replaced their windshield but it didn't work:

Wind noise- It's the mirrors

I have the car back for a week now. It's fixed! It was the mirror assembly. Now the wind noise is similar to the Cadillac sedan they loaned me.

It would be nice to have more detailed information about what they did. The local SC told me that they have gotten a lot of complaints about wind noise that they have been able to address by modifying the way the black triangular trim piece next to the mirror pod sits. I assumed they would replace the piece but they told me that it juts out in some cases due to the retention clips not being positioned well.

The technician bends the clips a little to tuck the trim piece tighter to the body.

I have mobile service coming out next week to address wind noise, a faulty windshield wiper spray and a persistent and obnoxious rattle in the B pillar on the passenger side... it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Anyone know how to safely pop off the triangle pieces? I'd like to attempt a fix myself but I'm too chicken to try and remove the pieces without seeing someone else attempt it first :p

My plastic pieces are coming away from the body, on both sides, I have this issue on my "to-do" list when I finally get around to making an appointment at the service center. Would be great if it also made the car quieter, as I haven't noticed a whole lot of wind noise from that area.

Keith

Sorry, I don't have any more info. They only told me they replaced the mirror assembly.

I did find this post where they replaced the driver side mirror cover:
List of All Repair Done So Far...
4. Excessive cabin wind noise was noticed in driver's side-- Replaced the driver side mirror cover which resolved most of the wind noise.

But be careful! Replacing the mirror can also cause wind noise! Here, a replaced mirror caused wind noise because the seals weren't correctly placed. Insane wind noise from mirror after replacement

So I blame the seals.

Thanks for the info. I have a whistling noise coming from that area, but only on the driver side. Is that typically the type of wind noise that is heard due to the opening in the door trim? Or was it lower-pitched? I'll throw some electrical tape over it temporarily to see if it's the cause. I've tried rolling down the window and pushing in the triangle piece to see if it was the cause. It wasn't, so I've been at a loss.

Man, the wind noise above 55 is driving me nuts! Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it soon.

I figure you can use painters or auto body tape to tape off areas and hunt it down, but my car is at service for unrelated issues so I haven't tried that yet.

I just had the passenger side “triangle” piece (at the front bottom corner of the window) replaced and the noise I had on that side at freeway speeds is gone.

It was done by a mobile Tesla service tech in my driveway. I noticed that there was a difference between the new part and the original piece in my car. There is a small piece of foam on the back side of the piece. The foam on the new part was located so that one side of it was flush with the upper edge of the part; the foam on the old part was placed about 8mm away from that edge. I think that difference in location was enough to keep air from getting between the black triangle and the inner surface.

The tech said he had seen the issue of the top corner of the part not being flush with the inner piece — so that there was a significant gap — multiple times on the passenger side of the car but never on the driver side. The new part still had a slight gap, but it is about half of what the gap used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwgan
I just had the passenger side “triangle” piece (at the front bottom corner of the window) replaced and the noise I had on that side at freeway speeds is gone.

It was done by a mobile Tesla service tech in my driveway. I noticed that there was a difference between the new part and the original piece in my car. There is a small piece of foam on the back side of the piece. The foam on the new part was located so that one side of it was flush with the upper edge of the part; the foam on the old part was placed about 8mm away from that edge. I think that difference in location was enough to keep air from getting between the black triangle and the inner surface.

The tech said he had seen the issue of the top corner of the part not being flush with the inner piece — so that there was a significant gap — multiple times on the passenger side of the car but never on the driver side. The new part still had a slight gap, but it is about half of what the gap used to be.
Hey can you post a photo of the new part? Thanks.