Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment to have my driver's window looked (listened to) at. It makes excessive wind noise at 50mph or more. This is compared to my previous ICE Camry and Suburus.
Have others experienced this?
And what should i expect from the dealership under warranty? Any tips on how to negotiate?

I took my car in to have the tires rotated, get the new HW3 (FSD) computer installed, and check the wind noise on the driver's window.

They did all 3, grand total was $39 (tire rotation). They did improve the wind noise some. Truth be told, Model 3s are industry-average with regard to wind and road noise, not as good as say a Lexus. There's an adjustment to the window, how well it seals against the rubber. It helps if you take a good look at your windows and if you can spot places where you see gaps or can slip in a business card, show them. Politely ask them to test drive it, and improve the seal wherever possible.

Reactions: bbk3e
There's an adjustment to the window, how well it seals against the rubber. It helps if you take a good look at your windows and if you can spot places where you see gaps or can slip in a business card, show them.

I agree with @Fernand. I previously drove a 2008 Subaru Outback that had frameless windows like the Model 3. As the rubber seals around the window would loosen over time, there was an increase in wind noise.

Sometimes when I'm driving the Model 3, I will click up each window switch and that seems to reduce the wind noise a bit as well.

I have an appointment to have my driver's window looked (listened to) at. It makes excessive wind noise at 50mph or more. This is compared to my previous ICE Camry and Suburus.
Have others experienced this?
And what should i expect from the dealership under warranty? Any tips on how to negotiate?

Yes, please let us know what (if anything) they did for you. The wind noise is my number one issue that I HATE about the car.

The 3 is loud. If they fix anything I will be amazed. I brought mine in and they said the wind noise is normal.

It's louder than every car I've had previously. Not just wind noise but the tire noise too. The tire noise on certain surfaces is horrible. My girlfriend annoys me by pointing out her Corolla is quieter than my Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: cochran
There's a lengthy thread with a variety of home remedies for different wind noise issues: Solved: wind noise

However, if the noise you're hearing is of a distinct whistling kind, if you have visibly kinks or deformations in any of the seals around the windows, or if one of the windows sits much further forward or back than the other, service centers will of treat it as a warranty issue despite the warranty itself saying otherwise. I'd say do not go the home remedy route until you get a "no" from service.

• Informative
Reactions: bbk3e
I have tried everything in that thread. I'm at the point of adjusting the windows myself because the mobile service dude said the wind noise is normal. Should I make the windows pop out more or push it against the car body more? I'm getting wind intrusion especially when it's windy and above 60 mph.

I have tried everything in that thread. I'm at the point of adjusting the windows myself because the mobile service dude said the wind noise is normal. Should I make the windows pop out more or push it against the car body more? I'm getting wind intrusion especially when it's windy and above 60 mph.

So have I, and I still have distinct buffeting window noise on windy days. However, the fixes in that thread worked for many.

Before you adjust the window, have you tried pushing your mirror enclosure forward a few inches to partially/fully fold the mirror to see if this makes the noise disappear? It does for me, but I’ve not had the time to investigate beyond taping up every seam and crevice in the mirror assembly (that didn’t do much, so it’s not the assembly itself but rather an air leak in it or at the spot towards which it redirects the air flow).

Check the rubber trim piece on the door sail/mirror mounting panel that the window slides up in to. I had gaps on both the inside and outside. Was able to heat the rubber up with a heat gun and reshape the piece, got rid of 95% of my wind noise. I tried all the other stuff...tubing/foam in the A pillar, door seal kits, etc and none of them did anything. I still get a bit of wind noise when driving into a cross-wind from right to left from a tiny gap that's left. I can push on the gap with my finger and make the noise go away. Need to either work on it more with the heat gun or just ask for a warranty replacement of that trim piece.

Check the rubber trim piece on the door sail/mirror mounting panel that the window slides up in to. I had gaps on both the inside and outside. Was able to heat the rubber up with a heat gun and reshape the piece, got rid of 95% of my wind noise. I tried all the other stuff...tubing/foam in the A pillar, door seal kits, etc and none of them did anything. I still get a bit of wind noise when driving into a cross-wind from right to left from a tiny gap that's left. I can push on the gap with my finger and make the noise go away. Need to either work on it more with the heat gun or just ask for a warranty replacement of that trim piece.
Thanks. I will go out and check the trim. I was told by another forum member that the dealer will not address the problem. What do you think?

Thanks. I will go out and check the trim. I was told by another forum member that the dealer will not address the problem. What do you think?

I have no personal experience with this, but from my reading on the forums it seems that if you can pinpoint a defective part that's causing wind noise (and hopefully demo the problem) they should warranty it. Asking them to chase/find and then fix a noise or rattle seems to be much less successful.

The 3 is loud. If they fix anything I will be amazed. I brought mine in and they said the wind noise is normal.

It's louder than every car I've had previously. Not just wind noise but the tire noise too. The tire noise on certain surfaces is horrible. My girlfriend annoys me by pointing out her Corolla is quieter than my Tesla.

Yikes! I’m second guessing my order. Maybe I should save for a few more years and get a Model S.

Yikes! I’m second guessing my order. Maybe I should save for a few more years and get a Model S.

love my model 3 but yea it's got some weird things. I'd still buy it again. Wind noise is a pretty common one here. Tire noise is only on certain surfaces for me. On the highway it's fine. It's something I didn't expect but maybe it's the tires they use. I read that it gets better if you drop tire pressure but haven't tried it yet.

Lots of people don't mind the wind noise. I might be picky because I drive without listening to music a lot.

I appreciate any suggestions, but i don't understand what you are saying.
I used some small diameter neoprene tubing and stuffed it in the gap at the fender/A-pillar intersection. There is a thread here on it.
rubber.jpg