Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window slightly open in cold weather

A cold night, are your windows open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Windows open"

I had just finished explaining to swmbo that I had enabled the TeslaFi option to email if windows or doors left open or unlocked when an email pops through "Car has had a window down for 15 minutes" And sure enough, Tesla app was offering to close the windows, rather than vent them.

I checked the car externally, no windows open, but on getting in and closing the door, I hear at least one window closing - and probably not the drivers one.

Next stop, on leaving the car, I checked the app, and again, app was showing windows open. So swmbo and myself stood next to the front two windows, I hit close in app, and sure enough, both windows seemed to make a noise.

So I was wondering, being a cold night, if this was the feature whereby the windows do not fully close to prevent them from sticking?

Anyone elses Tesla app show their windows open? It can't just be cold here in darkest Surrey.

upload_2020-1-10_20-44-9.png

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that "winter optimisation" feature where windows do not fully close only activates after returning from a drive (I also guess it activates when opening or closing a door) - ie, windows won't open on their own, just not fully close.

Last edited:
I do wonder if there is any one person/team/committee at Tesla that is aware of all of the features that have been programmed?

if there is and they were so minded they could perhaps publish a list of them in something like, well you know, may be an owners manual or similar!

Yeah, yeah... I know :rolleyes:

Interestingly, my android phone app does not yet give me the option for window operation. Is there an easy solution to this? or do I just wait for Tesla to update my app.

I have an older knackered android phone ... my app does include window function. Maybe you just need to update the app? Or maybe there's a difference between M3 and MS? Or maybe car software update version?

I have a 2014 MS with 2019.16.1.1 and have 'vent roof' option. My friend who has late 2017 MS 2019.40.2.5 and he has neither option (but has fixed roof, so wouldn't have roof)
Almost seems random, maybe MS never has window control, but has roof vent if you have opening glass roof.

I am convinced that this is down to the cold weather improvements that Tesla introduced in 2018.44.2, so is a feature on all UK cars. Exact implementation is sketchy, but a little more background info is shown here Tesla Model 3 2018.44.2 update brings cold weather and security improvements

I left the car as was overnight, so this morning I returned to a car where both TeslaFi and the app were reporting that the windows were open. Before accessing the car, I placed postit notes on each window, lined up with the bottom of the window and top of the door. We then hit close window in the app. A video that I show shows the driver door window moving up/closing. The postits on each window indicated that all windows moved, as image below.

This morning, it was much warmer, and no notification that windows left open.

I'm actually pleased to see this feature in operation. It means that window should not get stuck fully closed when frozen, so long as car was last used when temp below certain threshold. What I don't think it covers is when last use of car was above the threshold and window gets stuck in fully up position, you cannot open the door without risking it hitting the silver trip at top of window.

So no doubt in my mind that this movement is down to cold weather update, opening the windows when cold after a drive (exact point in time is unknown). What I do not know if the app should be showing the windows open or not. I have an existing service visit scheduled next week and its logged in the app for them to follow up.

Very short video

upload_2020-1-11_16-28-47.png

Reactions: Joelly
Looks like its probably a fault. Its around 12C and TeslaFi phoned home with windows down status - far too warm for the cold winter protection to have kicked in.

Looking back through TeslaFi logs, the window opened 'mid drive' at 0 mph, so I suspect to get a ticket from car park barrier. It then reported window closed. All good so far. But when car parked, doors would have been opened, window then got marked as down resulting, 15 minutes later in the TeslaFi tipoff. Window closed remotely via app.

Coincidentally, Tesla called today re next weeks service visit, checking the items on app. Windows got added last week. Then follow up text saying some fault found, parts needed and on order. So no idea what of the many items on defect list that relates to, but I suspect the windows.

Moderator comment - 2 posts merged from "Window slightly rolled down in cold weather"

Has anyone any experience of this and how it works?
This a clip from the Tesla tips website;
Tip: Model 3 - If ambient temperature is low and there are no passengers inside, any door used within the last 4 hours will have its window slightly rolled down. This makes it easier to open and close the door and to prevent damage to the bright trim. Also, if a window has been stuck, you can calibrate the window yourself, by following the steps in the Model 3 Do It Yourself Guide.
Could it potential leak or be a security issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. There are many cars with this type of frameless window doors. I guess Tesla are trying to use the software to improve user experiences. Apparently the Tesla service centre anti-ice window treatment also covers door seals?