Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting Options / Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in Las Vegas with the summer approaching quickly I want to finally look into tinting the windows of my Pearl White Model S. I have read a little on different types, 3M Crystalline, Suntek, Lumar, as well as ceramic tints. I have head mixed reviews on each type and brand. I have heard some brands have a "purple" cast to them and so forth. I have even heard that some impact radio reception.

I live in an older neighborhood where there are no street lights and at night it is very hard to see out of the darker tinted windows of my wife's truck. So I am looking for a lighter shade of tint primarily to keep the cabin cool and for a nicer look.
I have also heard of people tinting their pano roofs and the front windshield...not sure of the pros and cons of these options.

Advice appreciated... and a referral in Las Vegas would be a huge bonus.

thanks all...

I have recently had my S90D windows tinted and what convinced me to pay the extra $$ for ceramic film was the demo that was shown me. The tint shop guy put a regular 20% (allowing only 20% of light to come thru) tint film in front of a heat lamp box & let me feel the heat radiating thru. Then he replaced that with a 90% ceramic tint film and the difference was huuuugh! I could barely feel any heat. Two weeks ago I drove down to FT. Lauderdale with my ceramic film tinted car and I could barely feel the sun coming from the side and back windows. Coolest that I have felt than in any of my tinted cars in the past. The windshield however, was like a blast furnace on my face and front of my torso, and it was a 87F day. Yesterday, I had the windshield completely tinted too. On the drive home, we had to turn off the air because my wife and I could barely feel the sun's warmth and it was a sunny 80F Ohio day! I would strongly recommend considering tinting the windshield also if you're sensitive to the sun or heat like we do.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
64+ pages of posts on that thread going back to 2012. That's a serious amount of reading. Is anyone aware of a sticky on the best tint brands/options for Tesla MS, and color options that most closely match the Tesla factory tinting on the all glass roof?

Summary is there are 3 brands Prestige Photosync, Huper Optik ceramic or 3M Crystalline. How dark you want to go depends on your local laws. I agree with jjchan about the windshield coverage, after I got my windows done went back to get the windshield done, 75% can't even tell that there is film on the windshield but still get the heat rejection which was the objective.

• Helpful
Spectra PhotoSync will give you the best heat rejection of any film on the market. However, they have a more limited Dealer base because their film is more expensive and it takes more tinting experience to lay the film down since it is thicker than regular window tint.

• Helpful
Summary is there are 3 brands Prestige Photosync, Huper Optik ceramic or 3M Crystalline. How dark you want to go depends on your local laws. I agree with jjchan about the windshield coverage, after I got my windows done went back to get the windshield done, 75% can't even tell that there is film on the windshield but still get the heat rejection which was the objective.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into seeing if it's not wildly more expensive than the other reputable options.

Spectra PhotoSync will give you the best heat rejection of any film on the market. However, they have a more limited Dealer base because their film is more expensive and it takes more tinting experience to lay the film down since it is thicker than regular window tint.
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Is there an average price being paid for each brand, or does it vary considerably by region?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into seeing if it's not wildly more expensive than the other reputable options.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Is there an average price being paid for each brand, or does it vary considerably by region?
In my metro area I was quoted $750 for PhotoSync as there is only one installer, 3M quote was $750 from another installer, at a third Huper Optik installer I paid $450 for the car and $200 for the windshield. So call around for quotes.

have my tint choice now I just need to figure out whether to get 20% or the 30%.... I like the 30 at night because i live in a dark neighborhood with no street lights but I like the 20 during the day for glare and heat rejection... very torn

Also the guy I am working with is very against doing the front windshield and says that Tesla windshields already have a degree of coating...He will do it it I want but does not recommend...

Help.......

I had 35% on the drive and passenger windows and 20% on the rear and back windows. I immediatley had buyer's remorse and felt I went too dark with the 20%. I've gotten used to it but if I were to do it again, 35% all around would be my choice. The 20% is really dark at night backing up out of the driveway for example.

I wouldn't touch the windsheild, I've never seen it but it seems crazy, I wouldn't want to sacrafice and visbiility in that direction.

Got Spectra Photosync done today at Extreme Autowerks in LA. 35% sides and rear, 75% windshield. $1100. Can barely tell the 75% on the windshield, but in one day of LA driving, heat seems a LOT better. Didn't do the glass roof, as others have said, it doesn't need it. Was quoted for around $450 more, as it's one big piece of glass.

For those considering Spectra PhotoSync and other films, here is a recent test we conducted with EDTMs Spectrum Analyzer. This system is the most advanced portable system to measuring from UV radiation rejection to Infrared Radiation rejection. It also conforms to the specifications of NFRC300 standards.

In this video, it shows how PhotoSync 55% will reject:

900-1000nm blocks out 98% (only 2% is transmitted through)
1700nm blocks out 95% (only 5% of infrared is transmitted through)

i went with the darker (20) LOVE IT... In the course of making my decision I also brought my truck over and he was able to measure the % tint on those windows to help me decide... turns out the truck was a 25 so zero help... LOL...After much debate, the owner told me if I didn't like the 20 after a few days and it was too dark for my neighborhood at night that he would switch it out for free! So he either couldn't take me wavering back and forth any longer or it was just great customer service. I am going with ...great customer service!

The ONLY place to go in LV is DC Auto.... they are over by the 215 and Tenaya... 6620 S Tenaya actually..David the owner is amazing, If you look on Yelp you will find he has hundreds of reviews and ALL of them are 5 stars....They have all the different grades of tint available and they don't try to up-sell you... I have about 5 friends (2 with Teslas) that have used his services and are equally as pleased. Also if you mention YELP you get $20 off on installation. I set up an appointment for a Saturday AM and it was done in like 2 hours... AMAZING WORK. Honestly you will find that most places are about the same price but David went the extra mile to make sure I had what I needed and that I was satisfied with my decision. He even called me 2-3 days later and followed up with me... In a world where customer service is becoming a lost art I was so pleased and impressed.

I think i would have been just as happy with the 30% but i liked the darker for daytime driving.

David will give you the straight scoop and you will love his work... Hands down the best in Vegas

Keep me posted please and let me know what you did

i went with the darker (20) LOVE IT... In the course of making my decision I also brought my truck over and he was able to measure the % tint on those windows to help me decide... turns out the truck was a 25 so zero help... LOL...After much debate, the owner told me if I didn't like the 20 after a few days and it was too dark for my neighborhood at night that he would switch it out for free! So he either couldn't take me wavering back and forth any longer or it was just great customer service. I am going with ...great customer service!

The ONLY place to go in LV is DC Auto.... they are over by the 215 and Tenaya... 6620 S Tenaya actually..David the owner is amazing, If you look on Yelp you will find he has hundreds of reviews and ALL of them are 5 stars....They have all the different grades of tint available and they don't try to up-sell you... I have about 5 friends (2 with Teslas) that have used his services and are equally as pleased. Also if you mention YELP you get $20 off on installation. I set up an appointment for a Saturday AM and it was done in like 2 hours... AMAZING WORK. Honestly you will find that most places are about the same price but David went the extra mile to make sure I had what I needed and that I was satisfied with my decision. He even called me 2-3 days later and followed up with me... In a world where customer service is becoming a lost art I was so pleased and impressed.

I think i would have been just as happy with the 30% but i liked the darker for daytime driving.

David will give you the straight scoop and you will love his work... Hands down the best in Vegas

Keep me posted please and let me know what you did
Thanks Mark! David it is. I'll let you know how it all goes.
Cheers,
Mike