Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows lowering by themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never saw this in any forums. Congrats.

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not haha.

I have had one window (front passenger side) roll down slightly on its own but I noticed prior to leaving the car.

Some people have said the regulators need to be reset, which I believe you do by filing the window all the way down then holding the window button down for five seconds and then the same thing in the up position but I may not be remembering the steps correctly.

It would only be slightly annoying if it was not raining every time. Without a garage or shelter. =\
Ive got Performance model - SW version 2018.50.6
I can't really hope that it fixes itself. Have a service appointment next week.

Some people have said the regulators need to be reset, which I believe you do by filing the window all the way down then holding the window button down for five seconds and then the same thing in the up position but I may not be remembering the steps correctly.

Interesting. I'll try that now. Although it does feel silly.
In a weird way I wish it was repeatable.

Unfortunately this is a known issue, hence the snarky comment above. Mine did it a couple times when I first got the car, until I reset the window registers. It just began exhibiting the behavior again this week. No new firmware prior to this week so not sure why it started up again.

I had that happen to my car and wondered what the problem might be. I found out a day later when I was exiting the car and accidentally brushed the down window button on the passenger side with my forearm as I was pushing the door open. Human error.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Don't use the door as a crutch to lever yourself out of the car. The window switches are located in exactly the same spot as you want to put your hand to get out. I've changed how I get out of my car, and haven't had it happen since. Before, happened twice. Both times, fortunately in my garage. That's also the only place I park my car where it is kind of tight to get in and out.

Don't use the door as a crutch to lever yourself out of the car. The window switches are located in exactly the same spot as you want to put your hand to get out. I've changed how I get out of my car, and haven't had it happen since. Before, happened twice. Both times, fortunately in my garage. That's also the only place I park my car where it is kind of tight to get in and out.

That's not what is happening.

• Disagree
Reactions: Thp3 and TW14 9LF
I’ve experienced it three times in six months. No common pattern.

After ruminating on all other possibilities, I’ve decided it’s user error, just an errant switch touch that I did not mean. And I’m trying to remember to doublecheck windows when I walk away outdoors. It seems to have resolved the issue.

Sure would be nice for Tess to send an open window alert when it’s raining. Yes, the car knows when it’s raining. I’m not sure if it knows when windows may be ajar.

Experienced both kinds, user error leaning on switches when exiting AND uncommanded drop down after leaving vehicle having confirmed windows are up before leaving. Ice rain, dry night and snow storm on those uncommanded occasions. Wish the app could notify on open windows when vehicle locked, but this never gets answered so probably no data on the Tesla bus and random in nature so wet interiors and security compromised.

Anyone else experiencing the windows rolling down on their own after parking and walking away?
It's happened to me 3 times. all passenger side.
Had this happen on my P3D+ a few times over the past two months.
Told service about it when it went in two weeks ago and they claimed to know about it being an issue. They claim to have replaced the rear passenger window regulator. Haven't seen it happen yet again since but it was a rare occurrence.

Reactions: cidion

I'll have to try this. I just received my Model 3 yesterday. Today it's raining, and of course it got all over my passenger-side door because its window was rolled down. :(

Had this happen a few times early on...tried the reset but IIRC it happened once more and tried it again and hasn't recurred. Once was while power washing it and front passenger window was down about 3/4's. Interior got a nice cleaning that day. I believe it was usually that window.