Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen repair - insurance or self-pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
I’ve got a small chip on the windscreen of my M3LR - fits into the criteria of a repair rather than a replacement.

Question is around whether I should go through insurance with the £10 excess, or pay myself? I was contemplating going with Autoglass and self paying the £250 or whatever it is.

Reason I ask is because I’ve heard it classes as a claim and have to declare when taking out new policy - affecting the premium significantly sometimes.

Would be keen to hear others experience.

Hey,
I’ve got a small chip on the windscreen of my M3LR - fits into the criteria of a repair rather than a replacement.

Question is around whether I should go through insurance with the £10 excess, or pay myself? I was contemplating going with Autoglass and self paying the £250 or whatever it is.

Reason I ask is because I’ve heard it classes as a claim and have to declare when taking out new policy - affecting the premium significantly sometimes.

Would be keen to hear others experience.
be surprised if its classed as a claim to be honest. Sorry I have no idea on windscreen replacement. Have you asked Tesla for a quote to fix to see if they do it?

Not classed as a claim, won't affect your premium (any changes to that will be entirely coincidental & at the whim of the underwriters!), so just go for it.
Had the centre roof glass of my M3 replaced due to a large crack - Churchill treated it the same as windscreen. Premium actually went down at renewal......

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Consider if the chip repair fails and turns into a proper crack ...
This happened to me. The guy from Autoglass did warn me it might open up with the pressure they force the resin into the screen and he was right. Ended up needing the screen replaced, along with a 4 week wait for a fitting appointment.

I had a similar issue recently where I had a fairly large crack in my windscreen from a stone chip. Admiral stated that although it wouldn't affect my no claims bonus, it would class as a claim and therefore was likely to increase premiums. Although this was for a windscreen replacement rather than repair. I decided in the end to pay the £740 to have it replaced at Tesla. Silver lining was Tesla managed to replace the windscreen the same week.

I had a similar issue recently where I had a fairly large crack in my windscreen from a stone chip. Admiral stated that although it wouldn't affect my no claims bonus, it would class as a claim and therefore was likely to increase premiums. Although this was for a windscreen replacement rather than repair. I decided in the end to pay the £740 to have it replaced at Tesla. Silver lining was Tesla managed to replace the windscreen the same week.
I was told the same. Given I’ve got two cars on multi-car with them I decided not to risk making it a “claim” so bought the new screen myself.

I recently had a little stone chip - horrible sound but left a very minor “bulls eye” mark at top of the screen well out of my line of sight.

I decided to go down a DIY route as I’d been told before that a windscreen repair claim I’d made in the past had raised my insurance quotes (not sure if it was Admiral group who told me that 🤷‍♂️) and purchased this kit here.

If reviews hadn’t been as good as they are I wouldn’t have tried it but I found it was a VERY easy process and it has successfully covered the hole and reduced (but not eliminated) the visual aspect of the chip.

Edit : I can’t get embedded link to work - here it is schildEVO Windscreen Repair Kit, 4 PCS Windscreen Chip Repair Kit, Auto Windscreen Scratch Repair Kit for Bulls-Eye, Cracks, Star-Shaped and Glass Repair https://amzn.eu/d/4lqFll7